Mapping American Four-Quadrant Political Ideology (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 07:59:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Mapping American Four-Quadrant Political Ideology (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mapping American Four-Quadrant Political Ideology  (Read 8744 times)
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« on: August 28, 2019, 08:44:46 PM »

Interesting.  Not sure that I totally buy the size of the commutarian group- and I'm not a huge fan of 2 axis charts.  Sometimes they have an agenda (e.g. the political compass trying to say that the Democrats are conservative or libertarian organizations trying to push people into the bottom right), but regardless, they are not super descriptive for an ideology.

The part I really do find interesting is that this suggests that conservatism as an ideology is actually rooted in the suburbs and is not inversly correlated to education at all.  I've been saying that for a long time.  I imagine that the same actually applies for the backbone of religious-based social conservative movements.  Even if it's not everybody in well-off suburbs, movements like these tend to have their most fervent support in suburbs.  For example, I guarantee you that evangelicals who actually don't drink, save themselves for marriage, avoid cursing, and the like come from a lot less rural and "white working class" backgrounds than a lot of people assume.
ExtremeRepublican
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2019, 08:26:41 PM »

Can you post the map based on the values issues/size of government version, if that's not a ton of work?
ExtremeRepublican
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2020, 08:44:22 AM »

Interesting.  Not sure that I totally buy the size of the commutarian group- and I'm not a huge fan of 2 axis charts.  Sometimes they have an agenda (e.g. the political compass trying to say that the Democrats are conservative or libertarian organizations trying to push people into the bottom right), but regardless, they are not super descriptive for an ideology.

The part I really do find interesting is that this suggests that conservatism as an ideology is actually rooted in the suburbs and is not inversly correlated to education at all.  I've been saying that for a long time.  I imagine that the same actually applies for the backbone of religious-based social conservative movements.  Even if it's not everybody in well-off suburbs, movements like these tend to have their most fervent support in suburbs.  For example, I guarantee you that evangelicals who actually don't drink, save themselves for marriage, avoid cursing, and the like come from a lot less rural and "white working class" backgrounds than a lot of people assume.
you think suburbanites tend to be more traditionalist than those in rural areas?

I was largely talking about the sort of ideological "movement conservatism" and the super churchy parts of the religious right.  Even if those groups aren't the majority of the suburbs (maybe with the exception of my suburb of Williamson County), they are disproportionately found in suburbs.

Another example of this that I've talked about is that (per FOX News's 2018 voter analysis), college educated white evangelicals and non-college white evangelicals vote virtually identically.  However, that covers up major differences between the two groups.  The types of super personally socially conservative things are usually found in more upper-middle class demographics (who almost have political views vaguely similar to Mormons, albeit not quite as skeptical of Trump), while more downscale evangelicals tend to have more of a sort of cultural conservatism.  This is probably more apparent in Republican primaries (i.e. Cruz/Rubio vs. Trump, in TN Lee vs. Black and Sethi vs. Hagerty).
ExtremeRepublican
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2020, 08:21:54 PM »
« Edited: September 06, 2020, 08:29:34 PM by Pro-Life Single Issue Voter »

Interesting.  Not sure that I totally buy the size of the commutarian group- and I'm not a huge fan of 2 axis charts.  Sometimes they have an agenda (e.g. the political compass trying to say that the Democrats are conservative or libertarian organizations trying to push people into the bottom right), but regardless, they are not super descriptive for an ideology.

The part I really do find interesting is that this suggests that conservatism as an ideology is actually rooted in the suburbs and is not inversly correlated to education at all.  I've been saying that for a long time.  I imagine that the same actually applies for the backbone of religious-based social conservative movements.  Even if it's not everybody in well-off suburbs, movements like these tend to have their most fervent support in suburbs.  For example, I guarantee you that evangelicals who actually don't drink, save themselves for marriage, avoid cursing, and the like come from a lot less rural and "white working class" backgrounds than a lot of people assume.
you think suburbanites tend to be more traditionalist than those in rural areas?

I was largely talking about the sort of ideological "movement conservatism" and the super churchy parts of the religious right.  Even if those groups aren't the majority of the suburbs (maybe with the exception of my suburb of Williamson County), they are disproportionately found in suburbs.

Another example of this that I've talked about is that (per FOX News's 2018 voter analysis), college educated white evangelicals and non-college white evangelicals vote virtually identically.  However, that covers up major differences between the two groups.  The types of super personally socially conservative things are usually found in more upper-middle class demographics (who almost have political views vaguely similar to Mormons, albeit not quite as skeptical of Trump), while more downscale evangelicals tend to have more of a sort of cultural conservatism.  This is probably more apparent in Republican primaries (i.e. Cruz/Rubio vs. Trump, in TN Lee vs. Black and Sethi vs. Hagerty).

Not truly related, but I'd like to ask you if you know personally anyone in the (tiny) minority of college-educated White evangelicals who vote Democratic and if so what is generally their political philosophy or ideology.

Not sure if Pro-Life Single Issue Voter agrees, but as someone from Greenville, SC (which has areas very similar to Williamson County, TN), here's my analysis...

I don't know any that vote consistently Democratic but I know some (mostly younger) who don't love Trump. In addition to some who are mostly conservative but can't stand Trump as a person, there are plenty of younger evangelicals who take some center-left stances for faith-based reasons and vote based on more than just the typical "evangelical" issues unlike their older, 100% culturally conservative counterparts. They think that Democrats do a better job of helping the poor, support aspects of BLM, and have an at least somewhat liberal view on immigration. Search the "And Campaign" as an example, led by Obama's faith director and a former Democratic strategist. Not all of them would vote consistently Democratic because of abortion and other issues that typically lead Evangelicals to vote Republican, but they aren't down-the-line conservatives.

That's a fair take.  There is one couple at my church that I know is quite liberal.  They don't ever really talk about abortion, but they often talk about BLM and related causes, masks/social distancing, and general dislike of Trump as a person.  The guy would also talk a lot about left-leaning economic policies on social media.  I suspect that the girl is kind of softly pro-life based on one thing she said, but doesn't prioritize it.  I have no idea what the guy thinks of abortion.  I actually haven't seen them at church in a while.  They might have started going to the simulcast service that requires masks or felt the need to watch from home.  They're in their early 20s.

There are some other people in my church who are probably somewhere in the middle of the two warring camps on the racial unrest, but generally have conservative views.  And, I vaguely recall (from a mixer night between the young adults and the "active adults") one older woman being quite anti-Trump when someone else said something pro-Trump, but I don't remember anything more.

Apart from that one couple I mentioned up front, I generally see a range of views from David French-like politics on one end to vehement Trump support amongst the crowd of younger, mostly college educated, Evangelical Christians that I tend to hang around.  I can't say whether any of my friends from church (other than that one couple) will actually vote for Biden (if any did, they would certainly be in the minority), but there are certainly several who don't care for Trump that much even if they might not actually vote against him due to preferring him on the issues.  These observations are based on two theologically conservative churches that I attend for different things (one being my home church (with an active 20s small group) and the other being a church that has even larger young adult-only services on Friday nights).

I'll also say that the more moderately supportive views of BLM while still being largely conservative are mostly held by women, for whatever reason.  I remember having a discussion with just the small group guys from my church over dinner one night, and I was probably in the "left" half of that discussion (and my views aren't really loved by progressives).  Basically, my position was that very few people are racist, but many black people experience the racism of the few, and I understand the frustration and supported peaceful protests, while calling out the ones that turned into riots.  But, I also said that I wasn't a fan of the BLM organization (but was willing to say "black lives matter" when not referring to the actual organization) or "cancel culture".
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies