BREAKING: MSNBC reports Sotomayor next SCOTUS justice (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 04:42:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  BREAKING: MSNBC reports Sotomayor next SCOTUS justice (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: BREAKING: MSNBC reports Sotomayor next SCOTUS justice  (Read 23945 times)
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: May 01, 2009, 08:29:23 AM »

Would nominating Deval Patrick give the Democrats in Massachusetts a better shot at holding the Governor's mansion in two years?  Is that something you think Obama might think about?

I know for damn sure that Obama isn't going to pick someone who can be pigeonholed for his strong advocacy of gay marriage in his state, seeing as how it will come before the Supreme Court in Patrick's lifetime.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 12:06:55 PM »

You know, if a Hispanic Catholic is appointed, it'd ironically decrease the court's diversity in another way since 2/3rds of the court would then be Catholic... ironic but not really relevant

If Stevens follows in retirement and is replaced by Elana Kagan or another Jew or Catholic, there will be no Protestants on the Court.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 03:20:05 PM »

Her last name, Wardlaw, means that the general public may not realize that she is Hispanic.  I wonder if that is a factor.

If it never was for Richardson...
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 08:29:44 AM »

How bad does the racism have to get before we get to worry about what it says about the forum as a whole? Moderators? Some people push the envelope just for the sake of getting attention, and it doesn't serve any positive purpose while making the rest of us look bad.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 03:46:41 PM »

She went to my high school! Her father was the rabbi at the Reform temple. Anyway, she isn't even 40 yet and has been AG for only two years. She may be brilliant, but I think SCOTUS is a bit far for someone so young.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 07:43:55 AM »

Four years older than Milgram, and that proves my point.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies