Gay marriage Ban Struck Down in Utah. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 08:06:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Gay marriage Ban Struck Down in Utah. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gay marriage Ban Struck Down in Utah.  (Read 15022 times)
angus
Atlas Icon
« on: December 20, 2013, 09:41:01 PM »

The Government should not be involved in marriage.

Of course the government should not be involved in many things:  Airplane tickets, medical services, recreational drug sales, marriage, etc.  The government should exist mainly to ensure domestic tranquility and to protect the borders.  Ah, but as a practical matter we should accept the fact that it does involve itself in other matters.  One of those matters is spousal economic benefits.  What about life insurance, medical insurance, dental insurance, social security, and the like?  I don't really care whether Uncle Sam provides his imprimatur upon my Las Vegas marriage to my wife, but my insurance company does.  The chinese say, "If you raise your hands to heaven, you will last a hundred years" but they may not abuse themselves as much as I do.  I'd like to know that there's enough in the bank account to ensure a private university education for my son should I meet my demise before he's ready to take on the world.  In any case, I'd like to know that the amount I set aside for him every month will reach him, whether or not my marriage falls into the bounds of political correctness (which, by the way, it would not have in many states until the very early 21st century.)

I say that so long as the government does involve itself in those matters, then it should recognize all of them.  Gay, straight, interracial, and poly, so long as they're undertaken seriously. 

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies