Describe a secular Jewish Republican (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 12:58:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Describe a secular Jewish Republican (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Describe a secular Jewish Republican  (Read 4296 times)
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« on: April 05, 2017, 05:22:01 PM »

My take on this, as a Jewish Republican who falls in the middle of the theological picture.

I'm a traditional Jewish person in terms of theology. I espouse views that align closely with Modern Orthodox Judaism or the less strict segments of Orthodox Judaism. But, at the same time, I am member and supporter of a hasidic synagogue and its organizational hierarchy.

I don't follow everything I'm supposed to when it comes to Orthodox Jewish law (but I do believe in most of it). I do, however, wrap tefilin most days and not eat pork. I tried not mixing cheese and meat but that didn't last long lol. I hold most holidays orthodox-style (only usually breaking those holidays if I'm sick, like last yom kippur, when I was in the hospital, as I am not allowed to hold it if I'm sick or ill).

TLDR:
I'm not secular but not religious. Thus I am considered traditional in mindset and some practices.

My religious observance falls in between the secular vs religious divide in the Jewish community. Not surprising, my political views also fall in the middle of the Jewish Republican divide.

Secular Jewish Republicans (SJR)Sad wealthier (on balance), more educated (on balance), usually socially moderate-to-liberal and very neoconservative on foreign policy and Israel issues. usually Mitt Romney-style conservatives on business/economic issues. many NeverTrumpers here.

They are almost always establishment republicans. Usually have a strong identification with their ethnic Jewish heritage and some knowledge of the religion as well but rarely follow the religious customs.

Traditional Jewish Republicans (TJR)Sad Usually middle class or upper middle class. Not as wealthy as the Secular Jewish Repubs, usually. Are a mixed bag on social issues but usually more conservative then the neocon Jewish repubs. Usually identify with neoconservative foreign policy. Staunch business and fiscal conservatives on most issues. You'll find a lot of trumpists here.

Usually torn in terms of where they fall in the GOP (establishment vs tea party/freedom caucus vs trumpist) and in terms of religious/ethnic connection and observance (this is where the more theologically moderate but non-secular Jewish republicans usually wind up).

Religious Jewish Republicans (RJR)Sad All over the place income level wise. Very conservative on social issues, fiscal issues and have transcended the neoconservative label on foreign policy issues. They see Neocons as outdated and useless in ideology and often adopt more rebellious and even more hawkish foreign policies.

They are Freedom Caucus and Ted Cruz supporters, usually. Some are Trumpists, depends on what they care about the most. These Jewish Repubs are almost all Orthodox Jews, of varying religiosity. The more religious they are the more right-wing, usually.

I am a mixture of the first two categories, I think, politically, but also have some similarities w/ the third group.

Examples of people in each category:

SJRs:
- Sheldon Adelson (he's pro-choice, pro-lgbt, anti-marijuana, pro-israel, neoconservative and a business conservative; only thing that sticks out is that he is a trumpist)
- Bill Kristol (he's pro-life, but other then that he's your typical neoconservative, secular Jewish Republican)
- Bret Stephens (secular, jewish, neoconservative)
- Norm Coleman (didn't marry Jewish, but identifies with the ethnicity and religion strongly and is a establishment neoconservative)
- Jennifer Rubin (secular and neoconservative)
- Rudy Boschwitz (seems to be secular, definitely establishment republican)
- Paul Singer (strong LGBT advocate, his son is gay, and a strong establishment republican)
- Linda Lingle (socially moderate, big national security hawk/neoconservative)
- Jonah Goldberg (NeverTrump, National Review writer, prob one of the more right-wing people in this category)
- AIPAC-aligned Republicans (They are too establishment, too moderate for the RJRs and too establishment for most TJRs)
- Emergency Committee for Israel (Bill Kristol's group)

TJRs:
- Charles Krauthammer (has the background of an SJR but is markedly more conservative in politics and comes from a orthodox family despite being mostly secular himself; strong identification w/ his Jewishness)
- Ari Fleischer (he seems secular and kind of establishment before Trump but he's a big time trumpist now, without the ultra-conservative flair)
- Eric Cantor (he's establishment but not secular. he's a conservative jew, theologically, and identifies strongly with southern jewish culture)
- Lee Zeldin (reform jew, trumpist, has a conservative reputation, politically)
- Eric Greitens (somewhat traditional jew, strong military background, trumpist, ex-democrat)
- David Kustoff (doesn't fit anywhere else, lol.)
- Republican Jewish Coalition (as a whole, they are establishment and are proxy-run by Adelson but they do a good job of being in the middle ideologically when it comes to pleasing most jewish republicans; rejected by more right-wing jewish republicans)

RJRs:
- Ben Shapiro (orthodox jew; his bona fides are very self-explanatory. he's socially conservative, fiscally conservative and a foreign policy hawk who generally rejects establishment neoconservatives)
- Dennis Prager (orthodox jew; same as shapiro but somewhat more establishment)
- Young Jewish Conservatives (youthful, CPAC-based answer to the Republican Jewish Coalition; last time I went I was the only Rubio supporter as everyone else was a Cruz backer to the max)
- Michael Medved (he's an orthodox, religious jew but his nevertrump advocacy hurt him big time in ratings)
- Mark Levin (he's not religious, to my knowledge, but clearly fits into this category politically)
- Iron Dome Alliance (convinced GOP to remove two-state solution from party platform thus very right-wing)
- Morton Klein/Zionist Organization of America (Ted Cruz is their favorite pol, aka no explanation needed)

Pretty solid analysis. I've met a few of the religious Jewish Republicans and in my
experience your right about them transcending the neocon label. I think they're more likely to be non-interventionist and in a lot of cases still pro-Israel but against US aid which they either feels ties it's hands or just weakens it or something. The one guy I remember who this describes the most supported Ron Paul in 2012. Not sure who he supported in 2016 but he might have been a nevertrumper due to having libertarian leanings.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies