Giuliani vs Edwards 2008
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 06:49:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  Giuliani vs Edwards 2008
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Giuliani vs Edwards 2008  (Read 877 times)
TransfemmeGoreVidal
Fulbright DNC
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 27, 2020, 05:16:44 AM »

Presume no Rielle Hunter scandal with the financial collapse happening the same time as OTL. I'm thinking something like this:

Edwards-Bayh 404
Giuliani-Hutchinson 134

* I legitimately think i'm being generous here. Giuliani would be running as an openly pro-choice candidate making him even more anathema to the religious right then McCain was and on top of that it's tough for me to think of an even worse GOP nominee then him after the financial collapse even though the election may have appeared close before that. I know that South Carolina seems like a stretch but i'm thinking that if Conley is still the Democratic nominee then between that and and Edwards doing slightly better with the white vote and probably more votes for a Socially Conservative third party candidate and/or religious right voters staying home I think he would have won it.
Snazzrazz Mazzlejazz
SlothbearXTB
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2020, 06:35:30 AM »

Without Palin I could maybe see Alaska flipping.
Andrew Yang 2024
Captain Thunder
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -1.39

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2020, 10:31:51 PM »

Edwards/Schweitzer 443
Giuliani/Brownback 95
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2020, 06:32:59 AM »

Oh this is funny because a couple days ago I casually found a thread FROM 2006 which asked the same question.

https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=49093.0

The conventional wisdom or at least the right-wing one was that Giuliani would destroy Edwards.
There is also this left-wing poster called tarheel-leftist85 whose takes are extremely hilarious in hindsight.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2020, 08:43:25 AM »

^found in the thread above

I'm so excited for America now that we are in a post-DLC/Clinton/McAuliffe era, and now we have a true two-party system.  Thank you to the netroots and true Democrats/liberals/progressives who believed in Larry Kissell (NC-08), rather than dismissing him and NC-08 as being completely backwater, unlike the DLC and Dem. establishment that thinks victory lies in wealthy suburban districts, no matter how many jobs we have to ship overseas or how many stupid compromises we make (like "Don't ask, don't tell."--either you're a first-class citizen, or you are no citizen at all) or no matter how many MNCs we have to placate to get the big bucks.  It seems as though Democrats are finally realizing (with the hard work of the netroots) that America should be committed to dignity for all (decent jobs w/ no working poor, family values coupled with tolerance, environmental protection, protection of constitutional rights--incl. the 2nd amendment, and an end to foreign policy where the "enemy of my enemy is my friend") and that that should be the determining factor in policymaking.

Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2020, 08:58:47 AM »

Edwards/Schweitzer 443
Giuliani/Brownback 95

I think Edwards would win Indiana.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2020, 09:25:19 AM »

With no Rielle Hunter, facing a Republican whose positions are anathema to the Republican Party, it's a rout.

John Edwards/Barack Obama 59% 486 EV
Rudy Giuliani/Rick Perry 38% 47 EV

A Mitt Romney/John Huntsman ticket wins Utah's electoral votes despite not actually campaigning (and both Romney and Huntsman endorsing Giuliani.)
TransfemmeGoreVidal
Fulbright DNC
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2020, 11:59:40 AM »

^found in the thread above

I'm so excited for America now that we are in a post-DLC/Clinton/McAuliffe era, and now we have a true two-party system.  Thank you to the netroots and true Democrats/liberals/progressives who believed in Larry Kissell (NC-08), rather than dismissing him and NC-08 as being completely backwater, unlike the DLC and Dem. establishment that thinks victory lies in wealthy suburban districts, no matter how many jobs we have to ship overseas or how many stupid compromises we make (like "Don't ask, don't tell."--either you're a first-class citizen, or you are no citizen at all) or no matter how many MNCs we have to placate to get the big bucks.  It seems as though Democrats are finally realizing (with the hard work of the netroots) that America should be committed to dignity for all (decent jobs w/ no working poor, family values coupled with tolerance, environmental protection, protection of constitutional rights--incl. the 2nd amendment, and an end to foreign policy where the "enemy of my enemy is my friend") and that that should be the determining factor in policymaking.

I remember that era well lol. It's true, "netroots" type Democrats almost entirely abandoned gun control back then. It's so weird how much the themes and internal images of the parties have changed since then.
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2020, 03:37:18 PM »

Fmr. Mayor Rudy Giuliani (R-NY) / Governor Sarah Palin (R-AK)
Fmr. Senator John Edwards (D-NC) / Governor Kathleen Sebelius (D-KS) ✓
TransfemmeGoreVidal
Fulbright DNC
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2020, 01:28:52 PM »

With no Rielle Hunter, facing a Republican whose positions are anathema to the Republican Party, it's a rout.

John Edwards/Barack Obama 59% 486 EV
Rudy Giuliani/Rick Perry 38% 47 EV

A Mitt Romney/John Huntsman ticket wins Utah's electoral votes despite not actually campaigning (and both Romney and Huntsman endorsing Giuliani.)

I guess it does sort of make sense that Edwards might still lose West Virginia (even if it would be closer then OTL) as he was running a pretty strongly environmentalist campaign and aside from his Mayor 9/11 schtick "job killer" would be one of the few attack lines that Giuliani would have to keep the Republican base happy.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies