Gnostic Christianity (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 05:24:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Gnostic Christianity (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gnostic Christianity  (Read 547 times)
Georg Ebner
« on: June 12, 2021, 07:31:29 PM »

I'm considering joining a Gnostic Christian church. I want to ask whether anyone here has any thoughts on gnostic ideas or anything else relevant.

About me: I was raised southern baptist, lost my faith as a teenager, and through myself into political struggle almost in place of my once fervent faith. I no longer believe political change, at least through any of the conventional avenues, is possible. I now find myself without purpose, and I feel the spiritual void stronger than ever. I've tried looking into other religions, buddhism for example, but it's all over my head. For better or worse, the "language" of Christianity is the only spiritual symbolic order that makes sense to me. That said, I don't have it within me to earnestly believe in the *bodily* resurrection of Jesus Christ. The gnostic tradition seems friendly to spiritual seekers and open to various interpretations of the bible, including metaphorical ones, which draws me.
The core belief of gnosticism is not necessarily a dualism - a lot of those ridiculous speculators in the late AncientWorld derived from the monism of the Stoa -; instead, that the human soul would be pars DEI, what is a satanic lie.
May you give us further detail on the nature of the spirit in Monism?
Really never heard of the logos spermatikos?
Georg Ebner
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2021, 02:21:50 PM »

I'm considering joining a Gnostic Christian church. I want to ask whether anyone here has any thoughts on gnostic ideas or anything else relevant.

About me: I was raised southern baptist, lost my faith as a teenager, and through myself into political struggle almost in place of my once fervent faith. I no longer believe political change, at least through any of the conventional avenues, is possible. I now find myself without purpose, and I feel the spiritual void stronger than ever. I've tried looking into other religions, buddhism for example, but it's all over my head. For better or worse, the "language" of Christianity is the only spiritual symbolic order that makes sense to me. That said, I don't have it within me to earnestly believe in the *bodily* resurrection of Jesus Christ. The gnostic tradition seems friendly to spiritual seekers and open to various interpretations of the bible, including metaphorical ones, which draws me.
The core belief of gnosticism is not necessarily a dualism - a lot of those ridiculous speculators in the late AncientWorld derived from the monism of the Stoa -; instead, that the human soul would be pars DEI, what is a satanic lie.
May you give us further detail on the nature of the spirit in Monism?
Really never heard of the logos spermatikos?
I am not a Christian scholar nor even a god-fearing man.

Explaining further into the question I asked however would educate me further.
The logos spermatikos does not come from Christianity, but from the monistic Stoa. Like all so-called "materialists" they did in fact not idolize the materia (=HardWare) per se, but the "SoftWare": the "energy" streaming through the universe. Their "rationalism" ended - as it did in the dualistic gnosticisms - in phantastic cosmosophic mythologies...
Ok, seems like a significant amount of this stuff I’ll use wiki to bridge my gaps. Still, let’s get it rolling.

Can you explain the main difference between the traditions of Gnostics and the believers of the Stoa? I’m familiar with a little of the “phantastic cosmophobic mythologies” and “energy” of Gnosticism, but not of Stoa.

So tying this back with Christianity, where is the “Satanic lie”?
As my second account here, which i would need to avoid getting logged out when using another computer, has been deleted it's safer to send You a personal mail.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies