Embittered election postmortem (please let's just have this one thread to vent) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 25, 2024, 06:23:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Embittered election postmortem (please let's just have this one thread to vent) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Embittered election postmortem (please let's just have this one thread to vent)  (Read 6720 times)
Storebought
YaBB God
« on: November 05, 2014, 02:46:02 AM »

It's really mystifying to me what the GOP stands for, or why the US electorate saw fit to send 245+ of them in the House.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 02:50:04 AM »

Republicans won 75% of the white vote tonight. That pretty much sums it up.

So, my Mississippi-thesis is not that far off.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 09:34:48 AM »

Even after reading Mechaman's post, I still don't know what any of the GOP incumbents or freshman actually intend to do in Congress. Beyond rhetoric, the GOP has not done much if anything in Washington outside of what I can only call institutional filibustering, like Terry Schaivo and endless Benghazi hearings, since 2005 or so.

Even the level of rhetoric is disproportionate: it took the combination of George W Bush's irregular 2000 election combined with the Iraq War for left-wingers to equal the intensity that Obama faced from Republicans even before he was elected to his first term.

Yes, my request that a Republican state what he intends to do in Congress when he gets there can be dismissed as whining on my part (or elitism -- by god!, asking a legislature to legislate commands the heights of arrogance), but when the GOP collectively runs only on some vague promise of stopping Obama from implementing some equally vague (in the case of Ernst, dare I say delusional?) threat just looming in the White House, don't blame me for having my doubts.

(EDIT: It would be interesting to compare this election to a "Return to Normalcy" election like 1920 or 1948 -- but even that was predicated on the start of the Cold War. The national mood in those elections was just as complacent, and the electorate as small, as this one.)
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies