NJ-GOV 2021 megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 05:40:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NJ-GOV 2021 megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NJ-GOV 2021 megathread  (Read 50734 times)
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« on: May 25, 2020, 09:48:36 PM »
« edited: May 25, 2020, 09:53:24 PM by #Klobmentum »

Downballot, New Jersey is really not as solidly Democratic as people seem to think it is. Guadagno still got 42% despite Christie's approval being in the teens, and the congressional delegation was evenly split as recently as 2016. Last November, Republicans managed to hold all their legislative seats and even make net gains despite Trump's toxicity in the state. And this was after Murphy campaigned for Bramnick and Munoz's opponents in a Clinton +10 district! The NJGOP is in much better shape than their counterparts in many other blue states (CA, NY, OR, MA), and is less likely to nominate a wacko who turns off suburban voters. This race is very much worth watching in a Biden midterm.

You have a point about the down ballot races, but I struggle to see Murphy in any real danger. In 2009, Corzine had absolutely awful approval ratings, was constantly navigating through self inflicted scandals and the economy was in the toilet yet he still kept it close. NJ has only gotten more democrat friendly since 2009 and Murphy has been alot less controversial. He'll win by double digits in a Biden off year I think. Just my opinion though.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2020, 10:09:25 PM »
« Edited: May 25, 2020, 10:16:01 PM by #Klobmentum »

NJ could certainly be a close race in a Biden midterm, and yes the NJ GOP is much less prone to nominating crazies compared to its counterparts in CO and VA. Also, I have suspicions that a sizable amount of Democratic suburban voters may still be swing voters in gubernatorial races, especially those places that swung hard against Trump, when compared to Romney. As others have said, taxes is a major statewide issue and that plays into the GOP's hands. Even with Christie's abysmal ratings, Guadagno did better percentage-wise than Trump did in 2016. Also NJ has a long tradition of moderate Republicans (Kean Sr., Wittman, Christie), and someone like Van Drew, Kean Jr., etc. could easily pick up that mantle. There is a reason why a NJ Democratic governor hasn't been re-elected since 1977. I still think Murphy wins in the end, but this race is not Safe D, like the consensus seems to be.

The consensus is that its safe D is because Murphy has been relatively inoffensive(unlike Corzine and Florio) and he has sky high approval ratings due to his pandemic response.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies