Is "basket of deplorables" Hillary's 47% moment? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 07:01:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Is "basket of deplorables" Hillary's 47% moment? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: -skip-
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 233

Author Topic: Is "basket of deplorables" Hillary's 47% moment?  (Read 23813 times)
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« on: September 10, 2016, 03:10:40 PM »

For those who think she's wrong: please look up #economicanxiety on twitter, please look up that video the New York Times put up showing the behavior inside of Trump rallies, look up Katy Tur talking about her experiences going to many Trump rallies with a prominent Trump surrogate in the room, look at the movements that have popped up thanks to Donald Trump, look at the rising prominence of white supremacists, look at the mainstreaming of figures like Alex Jones...

I could go on and on and on. No I don't think all Trump supporters are racist, I don't even think half are. But you can't deny the effect of Trump's campaign in bringing out racists and bigots and giving them legitimacy.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2016, 05:16:50 PM »

I have to say though, basket of deplorables sounds an awful lot like binders full of women.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2016, 06:05:15 PM »

I have to say though, basket of deplorables sounds an awful lot like binders full of women.

I disagree. Apples and oranges....

The binders full of women statement was trying to show how cool and hip he was and that he wasn't a sexist.

The deplorables statement is labeling some Trump supporters as racists and bigots, etc.

Neither statement should ever have been said, IMO.

I didn't mean it in terms of their content - just that they're both odd ways to say what they're attempting to say. Romney was attempting to say he made great strides to employ women, but ended up with "binders full of women". Clinton was trying to say that a large chunk of Trump supporters are racists, but ended up with "baskets of deplorbles".
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2016, 10:32:36 PM »

I disagree. Apples and oranges....
The binders full of women statement was trying to show how cool and hip he was and that he wasn't a sexist.
The deplorables statement is labeling some Trump supporters as racists and bigots, etc.
Neither statement should ever have been said, IMO.

I didn't mean it in terms of their content - just that they're both odd ways to say what they're attempting to say. Romney was attempting to say he made great strides to employ women, but ended up with "binders full of women". Clinton was trying to say that a large chunk of Trump supporters are racists, but ended up with "baskets of deplorbles".

Maxwell,
I think you need to watch the entire video or read the entire transcript of what Hillary said.
She immediately follows-up after saying "basket of deplorables," with the fact (definition) that this group of trump supporters are racists, sexist, etc.

okay apparently people don't feel like reading my actual words, let me make it caveman simple -

"basket of deplorables" is a funny phrase to me. "binders full of women" is also a funny phrase to me. that's all.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 11:44:56 PM »

The only reason why I don't think "basket of deplorables" makes as much of a mark as it potentially could is because it's just a weird thing to say. It's harder to market "basket of deplorables" than it is to market "47% of Americans are lazy moochers".
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies