California set to raise minimum wage to $10
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 12:17:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  California set to raise minimum wage to $10
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: California set to raise minimum wage to $10  (Read 5396 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: September 25, 2013, 04:06:02 PM »

That would be true if labor costs were 100% of the price of goods and services. But they aren't, so it's not.

It's very simple. If I have to pay someone x amount more an hour, then I lose x amount of money each hour. I make up for it by charging y on top of what I already charge for my service.

So, why should that bother us?
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #76 on: September 25, 2013, 05:14:47 PM »

Walmart, stung and crippled by Democratic plans to increase the minimum wage and force expensive health care coverage, will no doubt lay off more workers and ...

... wait, what's that? Walmart just announced it was going to add 35,000 new part-time workers and convert 35,000 more part-time workers to full-time? And it's doing it because it slashed staff to the bone so badly during the recession that stores literally cannot keep shelves stocked or organized due to a lack of available labor?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-09-25/the-real-reason-wal-mart-hired-all-those-people.html
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #77 on: September 25, 2013, 11:36:54 PM »

Walmart, stung and crippled by Democratic plans to increase the minimum wage and force expensive health care coverage, will no doubt lay off more workers and ...

... wait, what's that? Walmart just announced it was going to add 35,000 new part-time workers and convert 35,000 more part-time workers to full-time? And it's doing it because it slashed staff to the bone so badly during the recession that stores literally cannot keep shelves stocked or organized due to a lack of available labor?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-09-25/the-real-reason-wal-mart-hired-all-those-people.html

It's sent America into a panic. Hannity's website has the numbers of how much more it's going to cost the average family compared to what Obama misled us to believe. He misled us into a quagmire. I don't understand why the country can't agree with my proposal which is located under individual politics.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #78 on: September 26, 2013, 12:14:57 AM »

"mom and pop stores" evade min wage and other labor laws, as a rule

And there aren't as many left. The more typical "small business" is a franchise store.

Anyway, Brown signed the increase today.

There are still some mom and pop stores left. But they mostly have minimal employees outside of the family, and family members don't have to get minimum wage.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #79 on: September 26, 2013, 12:20:04 AM »

"mom and pop stores" evade min wage and other labor laws, as a rule

And there aren't as many left. The more typical "small business" is a franchise store.

Anyway, Brown signed the increase today.

There are still some mom and pop stores left. But they mostly have minimal employees outside of the family, and family members don't have to get minimum wage.

They pay under the table a lot of times too.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #80 on: September 26, 2013, 03:12:55 AM »

It's sent America into a panic. Hannity's website has the numbers of how much more it's going to cost the average family compared to what Obama misled us to believe. He misled us into a quagmire. I don't understand why the country can't agree with my proposal which is located under individual politics.

Wal-Mart panicked and hired 35,000 people?

The article is absolutely spot on of what I've said the whole time--business owners have ZERO CONTROL over how many employees they hire.  I'm sure the Walton family hates the law, but the bottom line is they need more employees to meet the demand of the true owners of their business: the CONSUMERS.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #81 on: September 26, 2013, 04:01:36 AM »

Wal-Mart panicked and hired 35,000 people?

The article is absolutely spot on of what I've said the whole time--business owners have ZERO CONTROL over how many employees they hire.  I'm sure the Walton family hates the law, but the bottom line is they need more employees to meet the demand of the true owners of their business: the CONSUMERS.

Treating employees like crap is bad business policy? Who'd have thunk!
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #82 on: September 27, 2013, 12:07:29 PM »

A better way to understand it, King, is that the State controls both 'consumers' and 'business owners', privileging them and assigning them roles.  Of course the workers are the producers and the consumers, while the 'business owners' are a purely parasitic class, but it is quite correct that the State controls every aspect of society.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #83 on: September 27, 2013, 04:58:37 PM »

The article is absolutely spot on of what I've said the whole time--business owners have ZERO CONTROL over how many employees they hire.  I'm sure the Walton family hates the law, but the bottom line is they need more employees to meet the demand of the true owners of their business: the CONSUMERS.

A better way to understand it, King, is that the State controls both 'consumers' and 'business owners', privileging them and assigning them roles.  Of course the workers are the producers and the consumers, while the 'business owners' are a purely parasitic class, but it is quite correct that the State controls every aspect of society.
The problem with your argument, and why it falls tinny and flat on most people is that you're using the wrong terms to describe what is going on.

The state isn't some malevolent organization that sits in a room and doles out privileges to some while assigning roles to others.  It's hardly that organized.

Instead, these privileges and roles are mostly delegated by momentum and the status quo.  The government just encourages this set up and doesn't do anything to change it or improve it.

People would understand your ideas and message better if you framed it the way I outlined.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #84 on: September 27, 2013, 05:10:39 PM »

WalMart could always over $3/hour in store credit on top of the minimum wage... that would be helpful.

As a married couple close to me who work at Wal-Mart point out, they get a 10% discount at Wal-Mart, but with the wages and next to non-existant benefits they get paid, they and other employees can't afford to shop anywhere else. Sad
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #85 on: September 27, 2013, 05:16:35 PM »

WalMart could always over $3/hour in store credit on top of the minimum wage... that would be helpful.

As a married couple close to me who work at Wal-Mart point out, they get a 10% discount at Wal-Mart, but with the wages and next to non-existant benefits they get paid, they and other employees can't afford to shop anywhere else. Sad

Indeed.  Maybe one day people will fix it.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #86 on: September 27, 2013, 11:28:46 PM »

One last thing is that anyone who has worked at McDonald's knows that 90% of them are privately owned. Therefore, in a way not even McDonald's would be able to afford it outside of their corporate stores which only exist in large cities. We may see private owners selling some of their McDonald's to make ends meet.

I can safely say with an embarrassing level of expertise on this subject that this is entirely false.

You are correct that McDonald's is in a better position than other restaurants to respond to minimum wage increases (and this is as far as your accuracy goes), but the very idea of an owner of a McDonald's having to 'make ends meet' at any point in their life is so laughable that it is pure comedy gold.  It is a company, after all, that looks to cut hours even when making record profits without increasing wages.

The owner of the McDonald's I worked at was 'struggling' because he had to give up one of his stores due to not meeting the corporate standards at another location.  As a board member for the state's gambling commission, he was not ever experiencing any hard times - in fact, repeatedly violating legal and ethical standards in doing so, and managed to buy another location once his worst performer (a restaurant with over 75 employees, to put the scope of his wealth into perspective) improved its results.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies