Major Snowstorm for Mid-Atlantic back to Kentucky/Tennessee (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 08:56:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Major Snowstorm for Mid-Atlantic back to Kentucky/Tennessee (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Major Snowstorm for Mid-Atlantic back to Kentucky/Tennessee  (Read 1589 times)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« on: January 21, 2016, 02:04:50 PM »
« edited: January 21, 2016, 02:07:49 PM by Snowguy716 »

Surprised this hasn't come up yet.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/snow-storm-travel-disruptions-aim-for-nyc-dc-boston-philadelphia-friday-saturday/54870622

It looks like the heaviest snow will fall in the mountains of eastern W Virginia and western Virginia, but DC could see anywhere from 1-2 feet of snow, Philly could see over a foot, and several inches are possible points north.  Coupled with strong, gusty winds, blizzard conditions could be present.  

If blizzard conditions develop it would more likely be to the heavy snow rather than the wind.  It will arrive tomorrow through Saturday lasting through Sunday further north.

This is a pretty classic El Nino east coast storm that really targets the mid-Atlantic rather than New England.  It will even bring ice and sleet into northern parts of the south and possible blizzard conditions to Memphis of all places along with brutal conditions across Kentucky.

The most peculiar part is the possible blizzard conditions over NW Mississippi.  Not often you hear blizzard and Mississippi in the same sentence.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 10:06:33 PM »

They keep ramping up the snow totals so now it could be 2 feet for DC proper with 18-24" in the eastern burbs and 24-30" in the western burbs.

If DC gets 2 feet, it will be the 2nd largest snowstorm in recorded history.  To beat the record from 1922, they'd have to get 28" of snow.

Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 01:17:01 PM »

I'm not bragging because I think the school district was being incredibly foolish.. but I remember waiting for the bus mornings when it was below -30F air temperature.  Or where there'd be 8" of snow on the road and the bus would come around the corner sliding around... on time.

Funny story.. when I was in 5th grade... the brutal winter of '96, the Ford truck testers were staying at our resort and one of their guys got one of the '98 trucks they were testing stuck in the deep snow.  And then the guy who tried to pull him out got stuck as well.  This happened around the time we were supposed to be down at teh end of the driveway/road to catch the bus... so my dad made us walk half way (about 0.3 miles) in temperatures below -20F and then a Ford guy picked us up and let us wait in the truck with him.  But because of their awful testing rules they couldn't have the heat on. 

Best part of that story?  My dad got his Chevy truck and pulled both of the Fords out of the snow.

What else do I remember about the winter of '96?  Trudging through the snow in our halloween costumes on Halloween... people trying to thaw their frozen pipes with hair dryers... experiencing -50F air temperatures... and a sledding party with heavy snow at Easter.

The governor came to my town that year for fishing opener and the ice went off the lake the day before he got there.  People joked about using dynamite to clear the lake of ice for him.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 11:45:08 PM »

There's like 2-3 inches out there, and it stopped. Is this for real?
That's what she said.

(sorry... I mean... I had to)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 04:36:32 PM »

We had a major snowstorm here last week and it dumped 20-30 inches.

Which was followed by temperatures of -20°C ...

Smiley
I think this storm is a little bigger than your moderate mountain snow and moderate cold.

This storm is affecting 85 million people... 10 or 11 Austrias or like 1.05 Germanys.

The U.S. has more extreme weather than Europe in literally every way. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies