Major Snowstorm for Mid-Atlantic back to Kentucky/Tennessee
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 06:48:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Major Snowstorm for Mid-Atlantic back to Kentucky/Tennessee
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Major Snowstorm for Mid-Atlantic back to Kentucky/Tennessee  (Read 1585 times)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2016, 11:56:50 PM »
« edited: January 23, 2016, 12:11:09 AM by Simfan34 »

There's like 2-3 inches out there, and it stopped. Is this for real?

Things are looking very good for the NAM model right now, so now... not by a long shot.

It's increasingly looking like this is the storm that never came last year... just twelve months late. The exact opposite of what happened.

RIP SIMFAN, RIP ATLAS FORUM.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2016, 03:41:20 AM »

angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2016, 09:37:19 AM »

The snow here  started around 8 o'clock last night.  I guess I was tired because I slept till nearly 9 this morning, which is about two hours later than I'd normally arise.  From the back upstairs window, I could see that the level of snow was at least half as high as the legs of the lawn furniture.  As I walked downstairs, I got a better feel for it because the stairwell faces front and has a large, hemicircular glass window.  I saw my neighbor across the street shoveling frantically, as in one of those over-the-counter cough medicine commercials, trying to cut a path from his front door to his mailbox.  I suppose the postman will run today.

Neither snow nor rain nor sleet nor dark of night shall stay these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds.  Or something like that.

A snowplough seems to have made its way through.  At least I can see a band of asphalt ("macadam" in Lancastrian) in the middle of where I think the street would be.  When I opened the main front door, I saw that snow had piled up to the level of my knee against the outer glass door.  That's a drift, though.  I'd say we have nearly a foot at this point, and it is still falling at a good clip.  After I have a pot of coffee and my morning movement, we'll take a meterstick outside and get a few measurements. 

The club is closed.  Bummer.  No swimming today.  I guess I'll get plenty of exercise playing with the boy, and shoveling.  Definitely want to try out the snowball makers.  My son and I have developed a plan:  we'll fill fill his black toboggan with little balls of snow; as soon as we see the neighborhood children out, we'll sneak up behind the rows of arbor vitae and begin pummeling them in rapid fire, probably with war cries and lots of shouting.

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2016, 11:13:50 AM »

We had a major snowstorm here last week and it dumped 20-30 inches.

Which was followed by temperatures of -20°C ...

Smiley
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2016, 12:10:53 PM »

As of about 10AM, there was approximately 35 cm of snow on the ground.  I took many measurements and they varied due to blowing and drifting.  In certain places, there was only a few millimeters covering the grass.  In others, there were drifts as high as 60 cm.  The majority of measurements made in flat spots in the back yard and in the neighbor's yard showed a depth of about 35 cm, so that's my official call. 

The snowball makers make excellent snowballs.  Perfectly spherical, they are, and tough.  They don't break upon contact with polyester or leather, although they break nicely on cars and walls.  None of the other children were out yet so we just pelted each other for a while.  The snow was too deep to try to sleigh down any hills.  I got a running start and tried it, but I just got buried and ended up with snow in my underwear and sleeves. 

My wife and I shoveled half the driveway, and it took us about an hour and a half, from the garage door to the point where the driveway meets the street.  We want to be able to get at least one car out in case of emergency.  Not that we can get out yet, because there's at least a meter between the end of my drive and where the snow has been cleared.  We decided not to do any more till the big truck comes through again.  We'll probably work on the other half tomorrow, although the half we dug out will be covered again by tomorrow.  Just in the time I was out shoveling, another two centimeters or so fell on the part I cleaned.  (LNP on-line is calling it "more than a foot" as of now, and predicting at least two feet by Sunday.)  Eric posts that they're at just over 17 inches down in Millersville as of 11:50 AM.  I think it's gets worse as you go south from here.

Got a big fire roaring and gloves, hats, jackets, and boots are all hung in front of it, drying.  "Hung by the chimney, with care" as the song goes.  I might take a hike about the neighborhood later, if the wind lets up.  For now, I'm a bit exhausted from the effort, and my arms ache.  Time for some steaming hot duck soup, ginger tea, and a well-earned snifter of cognac. 

Cheers.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2016, 04:36:32 PM »

We had a major snowstorm here last week and it dumped 20-30 inches.

Which was followed by temperatures of -20°C ...

Smiley
I think this storm is a little bigger than your moderate mountain snow and moderate cold.

This storm is affecting 85 million people... 10 or 11 Austrias or like 1.05 Germanys.

The U.S. has more extreme weather than Europe in literally every way. 
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2016, 05:55:41 PM »

angus is, by far, the coolest dad I know. 
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2016, 06:25:25 PM »
« Edited: January 23, 2016, 06:26:59 PM by angus »

Haha.  We went out again and he dug a tunnel that he could crawl through while we shoveled that portion of the drive again that we had already cleared.  During the five or so hours between cleanings, it had been covered to a depth equal to the distance from the tip of my middle finger to my wrist.   At 6:30pm it is still coming down fast.  I'd say Eric called it a little too light this time.  I measured 52 to 55 cm snow on the flat spots just before dusk, with drifts along the fence and edges over 90 cm.  

We took a short walk, but the going was slow.  Maybe two blocks visibility.  Saw no cars, only two trucks, both of which had blades on the front, in a period of half an hour.  One dude came whizzing by on a gasoline-powered personal snowcraft.  A red one with two ski blades on the front and a single tank-type tread on the rear.  A couple of people were out, but none of the usual suspects.  My next-door neighbor had his brood out clearing their driveway.  Stalwart, they were.  Cleared the whole drive.  There's really no point in clearing the driveway yet, because the street I live on is unpassable in my Mazda, and probably her Volvo would not get far either.  Mostly, it'll just make the job tomorrow a little easier.

Yinzers getting any of this storm, or is it just back East?
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2016, 09:04:52 PM »

It's hit hard here in Virginia/D.C.

Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2016, 01:12:18 AM »
« Edited: January 24, 2016, 01:17:43 AM by Frodo »

Here is the total snowfall for the DC metro area from the Blizzard of 2016:

The snow totals at Reagan National are in dispute, however, and could go higher.   
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2016, 08:30:13 AM »

So much for feeling the Bern. 😏
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2016, 08:48:47 AM »

Thar she blows!

Captured that a few minutes ago looking out the back door.  I like this picture for several reasons.  First, it shows that I really did put the tree out yesterday.  Also, we can see that even under the covered deck, the snow is at least six inches high.  The wrought-iron table and chair are nearly buried.  Note that the sun has finally made an appearance.  (right-click and view for a high-res immage) 

I'll go out with a meterstick after a pot of coffee.  My guess is that there was about 60 centimeters.  The local newspaper is calling it "26+ inches" of snow.  Whatever the total, there's much digging to be done.  The sun will help, but it's not enough to melt it all by itself today.  

Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2016, 12:20:04 PM »

It's official:

NOAA ranks January 2016 blizzard category 4 on the Northeast Snowfall Impact Scale

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2016, 10:51:04 AM »

It's snowing like sh*t here right now ...

In the Cranberry area, they say it'll get 2 feet by tomorrow morning. Maybe 3 feet up on the mountains.

Maybe a foot here where I am and 2 feet up on the mountains.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2016, 11:52:15 AM »

No matter what the topic of conversation, you can always count on Tender to drop in with an unwelcome "here in Austria..." anecdote.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies