If Mitt Romney runs against Trump in 2020....
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 11:47:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  If Mitt Romney runs against Trump in 2020....
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If Mitt Romney runs against Trump in 2020....  (Read 991 times)
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 27, 2017, 12:52:59 PM »
« edited: December 27, 2017, 12:55:26 PM by 136or142 »

(Assuming Trump is still in the White House)

...would Romney clear the field as the only candidate against Trump?

If Romney doesn't run, I think all of these people would run against Trump:

1.Marco Rubio
2.Rand Paul
3.Ben Sasse
4.John Kasich
5.Ted Cruz
6.Mark Cuban

If Kasich doesn't run, there are a half a dozen or other moderate or so-called moderate Republicans who could run in his place.

I think Corker and Flake will end up endorsing either Rubio or Kasich (or whichever moderate Republican runs.)

A one on one race between Romney and Trump would require a lot of popcorn.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2017, 01:39:15 PM »

Neither Cruz nor Rubio is going to run against Trump again except in the unlikely event that (post-Dems taking over Congress) Trump tacks so far left that conservative media like Fox News turns against him.  They're both waiting until 2024 to run for president again.

OTOH, I can actually imagine Rand Paul deciding to challenge Trump, despite all the sucking up to Trump that he's currently doing.  It's not likely, but it seems more likely than either Cruz or Rubio running.  Cruz and Rubio actually have ambitions to lead the party post-Trump, whereas Paul is never going to be able to do that, so he has less to lose.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2017, 02:21:50 PM »

Neither Cruz nor Rubio is going to run against Trump again except in the unlikely event that (post-Dems taking over Congress) Trump tacks so far left that conservative media like Fox News turns against him.  They're both waiting until 2024 to run for president again.

OTOH, I can actually imagine Rand Paul deciding to challenge Trump, despite all the sucking up to Trump that he's currently doing.  It's not likely, but it seems more likely than either Cruz or Rubio running.  Cruz and Rubio actually have ambitions to lead the party post-Trump, whereas Paul is never going to be able to do that, so he has less to lose.

I think you make a very good point, but if it seems clear that Trump would lose renomination I can't imagine either Cruz or Rubio choosing to remain on the sidelines. 

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2017, 02:31:55 PM »

I think you make a very good point, but if it seems clear that Trump would lose renomination I can't imagine either Cruz or Rubio choosing to remain on the sidelines. 

I guess that's what I'm saying about "if Fox News turns against him".  Trump is not going to lose renomination unless something happens that prompts the conservative media complex to turn against him.  In that scenario, sure, Cruz and Rubio would run.  But it seems very unlikely to happen, IMHO, so I think their chances of running remain slim.
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2017, 02:36:33 PM »

He would clear the field IMO. but I think his best case scenario is probably winning Utah + the North East and DC. Virginia and Maryland would be close as well in his absolute best case scenario.
NevadanAtHeart
Rookie

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2017, 03:28:21 AM »
« Edited: December 28, 2017, 03:32:51 AM by NevadanAtHeart »

I don't see Sasse or Cruz running at all. Rubio and Paul might be possible, but I wouldn't bet on it (Paul seems more likely than Rubio though). But I think Kasich is very likely to mount at least some campaign against Trump.

... Maybe Nikki Haley?
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2017, 05:20:25 AM »

If Mitt were to run, what is unlikely at this point, it will be a head-to-head contest with the Donald. And Trump would win by a wide margin. Sadly.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2017, 02:23:36 PM »

I don't see Sasse or Cruz running at all. Rubio and Paul might be possible, but I wouldn't bet on it (Paul seems more likely than Rubio though). But I think Kasich is very likely to mount at least some campaign against Trump.

... Maybe Nikki Haley?

Nikki Haley is one of the half a dozen other moderates or so-called moderates I mentioned.  I didn't post their names because I didn't want to add clutter or confuse.

I think the other moderates... who could run are:
1.Susan Collins
2.Larry Hogan
3.Charlie Baker
4.Brian Sandoval
5.Evan McMullin
Arkansas Yankee
United States
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2017, 05:57:29 PM »

He would clear the field IMO. but I think his best case scenario is probably winning Utah + the North East and DC. Virginia and Maryland would be close as well in his absolute best case scenario.

As to Romney

Trump carried the northeast in the 2016 primaries.  Trump is actually a moderate.

Since I believe Kaisch will run, I’d not believe Romney would run and split the anti Trump vote.

Romney would also be 73. Good grief Kasich will be 68.
tosk

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -2.96

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2017, 06:03:35 PM »

1.Marco Rubio
2.Rand Paul
3.Ben Sasse
4.John Kasich
5.Ted Cruz
6.Mark Cuban

If Kasich doesn't run, there are a half a dozen or other moderate or so-called moderate Republicans who could run in his place.

I think Corker and Flake will end up endorsing either Rubio or Kasich (or whichever moderate Republican runs.)

I agree with Mr. Morden that Cruz and Rubio won't challenge Trump. Sasse might, and Kasich probably would. I think if Romney did run it could discourage Kasich from running as well but I don't know if he'd back down. All this said, Kasich is probably the most likely to run followed by Sasse and then Romney. Paul and Cuban have outside chances.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2017, 06:15:58 PM »

As to Romney

Trump carried the northeast in the 2016 primaries.  Trump is actually a moderate.

Since I believe Kaisch will run, I’d not believe Romney would run and split the anti Trump vote.

Romney would also be 73. Good grief Kasich will be 68.

Trump will be 74.

Trump sort of campaigned as a 'moderate' (he mostly campaigned promising different conflicting things to different groups.)  He certainly hasn't governed like a 'moderate.'
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2017, 06:46:02 PM »

He'll get clowned worse than Jeb!
Arkansas Yankee
United States
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2017, 06:57:07 PM »

1.Marco Rubio
2.Rand Paul
3.Ben Sasse
4.John Katich
5.Ted Cruz
6.Mark Cuban

I agree with Mr. Morden that Cruz and Rubio won't challenge Trump. Sasse might, and Kasich probably would. I think if Romney did run it could discourage Kasich from running as well but I don't know if he'd back down. All this said, Kasich is probably the most likely to run followed by Sasse and then Romney. Paul and Cuban have outside chances.

Sasse’s Senate seat is up in 2020.  He will wait till 2024 to clean up any mess left by Trump.
Rubio’s seat is up in 22.  I think he promised not to run this term so he is out till 24.
Cruz has to do well this year.  I think he has burned too many bridges to run again.

Cuban does not have a base in the party.  I do not believe he has any presence in the south or Midwest.  

Romney backed down in 2016.  He would back down if Kaisch ran. Both Kaisch and Romney burned their bridges in 2016.  Kaisch is on a mission and will run.  Trump would crush either of them.

The above assumes the economy is still doing well. Since Trump is still present, it also assumes he has not blown up the world.

This conversation is very premature.
SKY
Rookie
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2018, 04:51:52 PM »

I think Kasich has more potential than Romney, however a Trump/Kasich/Romney primary completely destroys Trumps chances in the general IMO because I firmly believe if Biden gets the nod he is intending on “bridging the divide” and picking a moderate Rep as his VP... namely, Kasich or Romney.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2018, 11:16:43 PM »

1.Marco Rubio
2.Rand Paul
3.Ben Sasse
4.John Katich
5.Ted Cruz
6.Mark Cuban

Sasse’s Senate seat is up in 2020.  He will wait till 2024 to clean up any mess left by Trump.
Rubio’s seat is up in 22.  I think he promised not to run this term so he is out till 24.
Cruz has to do well this year.  I think he has burned too many bridges to run again.

Cuban does not have a base in the party.  I do not believe he has any presence in the south or Midwest.  

Romney backed down in 2016.  He would back down if Kaisch ran. Both Kaisch and Romney burned their bridges in 2016.  Kaisch is on a mission and will run.  Trump would crush either of them.

The above assumes the economy is still doing well. Since Trump is still present, it also assumes he has not blown up the world.

This conversation is very premature.

Agree with all of this, especially the last three sentences.

Oh, I will nitpick that Rubio promising he would serve his term would be easily danced around is being called by his Nation blah blah blah. That's said I don't think he'll run oh, and would get squashed by Trump if he did.

Plus I have irrational and undeserved optimism for Kasich.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2018, 11:22:10 PM »

I don't seem him running, because I think he's actually smart enough to realize that he would unfortunately lose, and that would look really bad.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies