Calvinism/Reformed Christianity AMA (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 04:09:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Calvinism/Reformed Christianity AMA (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Calvinism/Reformed Christianity AMA  (Read 13056 times)
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: December 04, 2016, 06:38:19 PM »

What's your opinion of John MacArthur and James White, if you've heard of them?  (Those happen to be two of the biggest influences on my beliefs outside of the pastors of the church I attend)
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 12:31:44 AM »

What is your stance on hell?  Do you believe in eternal conscious torment, or are you an annhilationist? 

RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 04:57:44 PM »

Sorry if this is chaining a lot of questions together, but what is your stance on evolution (and monogenism), the age of the Earth, and the geographical extent of Noah's flood and the Tower of Babel?   More broadly, what role do you believe scientific evidence (which is inherently constrained by methodological naturalism) should play in interpreting the first few chapters of Genesis, if any? 
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 09:23:01 PM »

Interesting stuff with respect to the worship service.  Our church has 6 elders and a similar distinction of one main pastor who delivers all sermons (albeit for us just once a week), titled "pastor-teacher."  On Sunday mornings, do you have a "Sunday school" period where folks are broken up into groups (like high schoolers, young adults, married couples w/ children, etc.) when the different elders do their Bible study?

Also, are the sermons mainly expository preached by your pastor?  I found this a big change from the more liberal Christianity I was brought up with - I'm used to 15 minute-ish sermons with one or two verses followed by anecdotes, in stark contrast to the extreme depth given at the Reformed-flavored non-denominational church I attend now.  Your statement about pastors having a huge teaching responsibility definitely applies where I go as well, since membership requires participation in a ministry and there are multiple paid, full-time elders, the main pastor says he devotes nearly 40 hours a week for Bible study and Sunday sermon preparation alone. 
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2017, 10:34:38 AM »

Have you by chance read The Case for Christ by Lee Strobel or Cold Case Christianity by J Warner Wallace, and if so, what do you think of their approaches?  I recently read both and found them fantastic reads and really solid defenses of the faith, but I knew virtually nothing about early New Testament history and dating prior to reading them, so I'm curious what you thought hoc them since you have more expertise in those areas.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 06:24:36 PM »

As an addendum to Strobel's Case for Christ discussion, what is your opinion of the Bayesian argument for the resurrection?  Do you think that prior probabilities can be reasonably assumed for the reasoning to be valid?  I recently read this, which I found immensely fascinating (the notation is such that taking a course in probability theory in college would make it easier to understand, but one could probably Google the formulas and figure it out, as the math is fairly straightforward and the article can be understood without full knowledge of it).  
http://www.lydiamcgrew.com/Resurrectionarticlesinglefile.pdf

RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2017, 01:33:27 AM »

What are your preferred methods of personal evangelism, if you practice that?  Are there any tracts you like?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies