How would the current US electorate vote in past presidential elections? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 09:29:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  How would the current US electorate vote in past presidential elections? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How would the current US electorate vote in past presidential elections?  (Read 377 times)
patzer
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -3.48

« on: October 21, 2021, 05:42:32 AM »

Say the current electorate gets asked how they would have voted in past elections, knowing what they do now. I'm wondering how the results would differ from what happened in reality.

My thoughts are thus-

2020: Biden most likely wins with the same map, though I wouldn't rule out enough leftists being frustrated with his presidency to flip the closest swing states (AZ, GA, WI) and deliver the election to Trump.

2016: I think Clinton could win this one, as the advantage of hindsight regarding the pandemic leads to enough people in MI, PA, WI deserting Trump. But again, could go either way.

2012: Quite a few current Republicans wouldn't be very happy with Romney as the nominee but wouldn't like Obama either. There'd be a higher number of non-voters and 3rd party voters.
I think I'd say Obama still wins, thanks to a lack of enthusiasm with Romney.

2008: Again John McCain is somewhat different to the modern Republican Party. Some states like Indiana are bound to flip red, but in the end a Obama win again seems most likely.

2004: I think John Kerry wins this one, given the relatively greater dissatisfaction with neoconservatism/interventionism nowadays.

2000: Similarly, I think this election goes to Al Gore.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies