Man who ran Medicare Part D talks about Obamacare
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 12:40:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Man who ran Medicare Part D talks about Obamacare
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Man who ran Medicare Part D talks about Obamacare  (Read 358 times)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 27, 2013, 02:38:52 PM »

Unlike Torie's deluge of concern-trolling, here a sober look at Obamacare present and future by a man who knows what he is talking about.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/11/27/mark-mcclellan-ran-medicare-part-d-heres-his-advice-for-the-obama-administration/

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 10:48:08 AM »
« Edited: November 29, 2013, 10:49:54 AM by Torie »

Good article, and I have listened to the guy on TV, and he knows what he is talking about. He does not address the underlying systemic issue however (assuming all the administrative stuff gets worked out), which is the cross subsidies within the premium structure, the push towards more standardized and uniform coverage packages within limits many think are too tight, the weak and inadequate mandate, and the rather high risk that the pools are going to look pretty sick and old and poor, and thus premiums will zoom up next year, based on the pool being a lot worse than thought - or the government bailing the system out (not much chance of that happening at the moment).

That is my "concern trolling" ACA comment for the morning. I just promise to keep them coming! You guys in your heart know you like it. Tongue
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 10:02:25 PM »

The issues you have with Obamacare are not "systemic". You basically favor Obamacare but with less of a degree of community rating (means tested subsidies are already a part of the law) and more choices as to the level of coverage you want. I certainly agree with the latter (why the f do I need maternity coverage?) and to some degree as to the former. Just pure experience rating would be an epic, epic disaster, especially with pre-existing conditions being covered. Mark my words.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 01:17:55 AM »

Medicare Part D was considered a success because a Republican was President. ObamaCare is considered a failure because a Democrat is President.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies