PA Gubernatorial Race 2006 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 09:15:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  PA Gubernatorial Race 2006 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: PA Gubernatorial Race 2006  (Read 94230 times)
RJ
« on: September 17, 2005, 07:59:53 PM »

Haven't taken the time to read all 29 pages of this thread:(

Just 1 simple question: Is this Lynn Swann a former football player; the reciever for the Stellers in the 70's?

PS: My dad follows Rueters news all day on ETRADE and says the PA governor is in the news a lot for some reason.
RJ
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2005, 01:46:43 AM »

Can both you two hold it for just a second???

Lynn Swan? Football player and Superbowl hero Lynn Swann? Rendell has an unofficial 5 point lead over him? Swanny must be just an aweful politician. What current post does he hold? I thought he was one of those sideline media guys from one of the major networks.

If Swann runs and loses to Rendell, the GOP in PA will really take a hit and could turn into something along the lines of the GOP in IL! Lets see. Which senate candidate reminds us the most of Jack Ryan???

Honestly, I can't think of someone who is more likely to beat Rendell than a former athlete like Swann. Not who's more qualified or the best candidate, but who's more likely to win. This will be just an aweful debacle if the GOP Fcks this one up.
RJ
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2005, 12:01:30 PM »

Hahaha, the GOP in PA will become like the IL GOP just because we lose a Governor's election. Yeah pal, you need a clue.

Hmm, let's just think about this for a second.

The GOP in PA has better candidates than in IL with Swann as a potential nominee for Governor. Many former athletes or those involved in prominent athletics in politics have fared well. See Osborne in Nebraska. Watts in Oklahoma. Bunning in KY. Steve Young has expressed interest in running for a political office in California. I bet even he could win out there. In addition, Rendell is on the ropes and in most states he'd be finished.

Santorum, a sitting US senator and one of the highest ranking Republicans, is losing right now to Casey in just about every major poll. If what I'm reading is correct, the GOP is on a pace to lose both races next year by over 5%. These 2 races are very winnable and although they appear to hold an advantage for the Republicans, they stand to lose both!

You live in that state and you can't see this?
RJ
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2005, 12:17:16 PM »

Nice job calling an election 14 months out.

If you read what I wrote at first, I said IF the GOP loses this race.

Suppose they lose both races. Odds are right now that may happen. Of course, there are 14 months left and a lot can happen. These are 2 races, like I said, that the GOP has a great chance in(at least on paper). If it does, will you then give any credit to the theory that the GOP in PA has serious problems?

By the way, Illinois was once Republican ground.
RJ
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2005, 05:15:21 PM »

Getting a little off track here, but Santorum is a two term incumbent. I realize Casey was popular in PA, but hasn't Santorum aquired any legacy or name recognition? Why isn't he as popular as Casey(sr)?

Losing both races by 5+ points doesn't exactly equate to a trend, but it just doesn't sound like good management in the event it happens. Here in Ohio, the Democratic party has been just terrible in recent years and I honestly think it has set a trend in this state. The Governor's seat, both Senate seats, 2/3 of the congressional slots and the majority(about 60-40) of the state house and senate are Republican. Kerry, of course, fought an uphill battle here last year. Democrats should have an advantage next year with the GOP here being vulnerable(Dewine & the Gov's race). This state has changed hands quite a few times over the last 50-75 years, but if the Democrats don't get it together next year, they'll be the laughing stock across the midwest. I call em' like I see em', not like a partisan hack.
Maybe my comparison to Illinois was a an exageration, but I think there'll be issues with the GOP in PA if the current circumstances continue.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies