The Minnesota gay marriage showdown (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 05:00:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The Minnesota gay marriage showdown (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Minnesota gay marriage showdown  (Read 16015 times)
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« on: March 17, 2013, 10:16:48 PM »

Gotta love that instate/outstate split!
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 02:16:31 PM »

I knew that the vote on the anti-gay amendment would have a sharp urban-rural divide, but it was even more extreme than I had expected.  I was particularly surprised how good the results in the Twin Cities suburbs and exurbs were.  Suburban Republicans were clearly needed to balance out bigoted, rural DFLers. 

Grin The soccer moms have spoken.  I think, no matter how much BRTD maligns my people, even he'll recognize that the Twin Cities suburbs could be a lot worse.  (see also: Milwaukee suburbs)  It's our exurbs we have to worry about.

Do those maps show how the representatives voted, or how the people in the districts voted?

The people in the districts.  Democratic legislative gains in the state were substantial enough that it would be pretty obvious if it were legislators' voting patterns.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

In Minnesota, everything other than a "yes" vote (e.g., not voting at all) is counted as a "no" for voting purposes.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 05:36:52 PM »

Almost makes me want to hug a Republican.

Well is it any coincidence that I, *hughughug*er extraordinaire, am a Minnesotan? Cheesy
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 07:47:07 PM »

I saw on the board that Rep Loon voted yes, after hesitating for a bit.

She said, in part, her final choice was swayed by one of her daughter's best friends coming out to her via email.  Aww.

Apparently some of the Republicans drifted over after one of them introduced an amendment to make it absolutely, totally, completely obvious that this was not An Attack On Marriage, including changing the bill to say "civil marriage" rather than just marriage.

Have a map!

David FitzSimmons managed to be a Republican from a gay-marriage-ban-supporting district that is a part of Michele Bachmann's federal district who voted for gay marriage.  Bless him.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 10:19:33 PM »

I saw on the board that Rep Loon voted yes, after hesitating for a bit.

She said, in part, her final choice was swayed by one of her daughter's best friends coming out to her via email.  Aww.

Apparently some of the Republicans drifted over after one of them introduced an amendment to make it absolutely, totally, completely obvious that this was not An Attack On Marriage, including changing the bill to say "civil marriage" rather than just marriage.

Have a map!

David FitzSimmons managed to be a Republican from a gay-marriage-ban-supporting district that is a part of Michele Bachmann's federal district who voted for gay marriage.  Bless him.

Garofalo's district voted for it too. Loon and Kieffer though are from most likely the two strongest districts against held by Republicans.

A big disappointment is Tim Kelly.

Right, but Garofalo doesn't have the "Michele Bachmann" bit.  Still a pretty heroic act on both of their parts.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2013, 04:29:38 PM »

Monday is when the State Senate votes on it.  Dayton should sign it quickly.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies