WaPo: The GOP is no party for blacks, Latinos, and gays
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 05:02:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  WaPo: The GOP is no party for blacks, Latinos, and gays
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9
Author Topic: WaPo: The GOP is no party for blacks, Latinos, and gays  (Read 25991 times)
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2012, 01:38:32 PM »

Can't have it both ways. The Republican party is opposed to slavery. I can quote Woodrow Wilson, telling black men that they were dumb for voting for him.

Slavery is not a modern issue and back then, the Democrats pretty much were the conservative party. The parties right now are the exact opposite of what they were all those years ago. If you have to go back a hundred years to prove that your party doesn't have race issues, then you have a problem.
I've explained this stuff before.  The meanings of liberal and conservative change over time.  Democrats were conservative for that time, but they sure aren't now.  While conservatism may have involved racism or opposition to civil rights a few decades ago, it certainly doesn't now.  The Republican Party was founded for the express intent of opposing slavery, and Democrats fought them at every turn.  For nearly a century after the Civil War, Democrats fought Republican attempt to advance civil rights.  And contrary to popular misconception, the parties never "switched sides" on civil rights, either.  Democrats want to keep racial minorities poor so that they will want more handouts and thus keep voting for them, but that is the antithesis of civil rights.  And as for the history: before you say "the segregationists are dead" or "that was a long time ago," let me ask you this: if Republicans had supported slavery and segregation (which they didn't, but Democrats like to pretend they did), and you knew it, would you want to support the Republican Party, no matter how long ago it was?
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2012, 01:41:18 PM »

So you're saying that Democrats are willing to hurt minorities?

You're clearly out of arguments. I didn't say anything of the sort.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2012, 01:50:30 PM »

if Republicans had supported slavery and segregation (which they didn't, but Democrats like to pretend they did), and you knew it, would you want to support the Republican Party, no matter how long ago it was?

What is the salience of this argument? I acknowledge the ugly history of the Democratic party during and after the Civil War and in Wilson's era, and it has nothing to do with the reasons I vote for them now.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2012, 02:26:36 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

-Lee Atwater.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2012, 02:32:59 PM »

Ate my reply. If the Democrats were sincerely the defenders of the downtrodden, wouldn't they seek to maximize their representation?

You're arguing that they deliberately adopt a strategy that minimizes their representation. Why?
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2012, 03:23:56 PM »

He's going to be the best remembered black supreme court justice fwiw.

That would both require a reassessment of Marshall's legacy downwards and depend on what other black justices there are in the future.

Well obviously that's bullsh**t and something that any self-respecting health care law should do differently; but Obamacare as written and enacted isn't really a self-respecting health care law, is it? (Also, my contraceptives? I don't even know exactly how condoms work, or have any reason to.)

That's a problem. I won't deny in the future that you have an entirely legitimate beef with Obama and his administration.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2012, 03:43:49 PM »

Ate my reply. If the Democrats were sincerely the defenders of the downtrodden, wouldn't they seek to maximize their representation?

You're arguing that they deliberately adopt a strategy that minimizes their representation. Why?

I don't really think packing minorities all into one district is necessarily fair. My point was that Republicans benefit more from packing minorities and don't draw those districts out of "fairness".
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2012, 04:02:12 PM »

I am part Hispanic and almost my whole family are Hispanics, we are all Republicans due to abortion.
Benjamin Stewart
Vaspasian
United States

« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2012, 04:36:18 PM »

MSNBC and sadly even CNN hopped immediately on the "The Republican party must reform itself or be destroyed" bandwagon immediately after President Obama won.  While the Republican party is without question the less minority-friendly party, it is not in peril, it is not itself racist or white supremacy promoting, it just lost an election to a very intelligent and well-spoken opposition candidate. 

Mitt Romney was the loser of the 2012 election, not the Republican ideology. How can (CNN?  Come on you guys aren't supposed to bandwagon) you claim a party is desperate when over 48% of the country supported their candidate enough to vote? 

Easy fix for the Republican image?  Run Condoleezza Rice.  She would make a great candidate, win or not, to be the new face of Republican party moving forward.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #59 on: November 13, 2012, 08:07:43 PM »

There is something interesting about this map.  You may have to squint to see it.  It is very subtle, but it's there.  Trust me.  It's there.

It uses the wrong color scheme?
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #60 on: November 13, 2012, 08:42:15 PM »

Interestingly, it's often a coalition of African American Democrats along with Republicans that support minority-majority seats while white Democrats oppose them. The Ohio GOP managed to get a decent number of votes from African American Democrats in the state legislature in exchange for drawing minority majority seats. White liberals are really the people who have a reason to oppose them.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #61 on: November 13, 2012, 08:51:30 PM »

-Lee Atwater.
Lee Atwater never said that.  A liberal professor claimed he said that in 1981, but he made that claim in the early 2000s.  If he really said that, then why didn't this professor use it against him then when it could have destroyed his political career?  Even the (very nasty) New York Times obituary written after Lee Atwater's death never mentioned this quote.  And if he did say it, then he was talking about how racial politics in general had become frowned upon.  Pat Buchanan, arguably the architect of the "Southern strategy", said that it was an attempt to convince moderate, pro-civil rights Southerners to vote Republican as a protest against the segregationist policies f many Democrats.  Read it for yourself:
 http://www.wnd.com/2002/12/16477/
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #62 on: November 13, 2012, 08:57:48 PM »

Are you citing Pat Buchanan in support of a claim that the GOP isn't racist?  That's a clown post, bro.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #63 on: November 13, 2012, 09:58:59 PM »

Lee Atwater never said that.  A liberal professor claimed he said that in 1981, but he made that claim in the early 2000s.  If he really said that, then why didn't this professor use it against him then when it could have destroyed his political career?  Even the (very nasty) New York Times obituary written after Lee Atwater's death never mentioned this quote.  And if he did say it, then he was talking about how racial politics in general had become frowned upon.  Pat Buchanan, arguably the architect of the "Southern strategy", said that it was an attempt to convince moderate, pro-civil rights Southerners to vote Republican as a protest against the segregationist policies f many Democrats.  Read it for yourself:

It's on tape.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_8E3ENrKrQ

The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #64 on: November 13, 2012, 11:35:15 PM »

I am part Hispanic and almost my whole family are Hispanics, we are all Republicans due to abortion.

This is where republicans may have a bit more leverage vs other minorities.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #65 on: November 14, 2012, 09:42:25 AM »

It's on tape.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_8E3ENrKrQ

http://www.youtube.com/index?&desktop_uri=%2F#/watch?v=ZT7pASof8Lc

bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #66 on: November 14, 2012, 01:07:55 PM »

-Lee Atwater.

This begs the question, where did all these moderate pro civil rights southerners come from, and what had they been doing for the previous a hundred years.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #67 on: November 14, 2012, 03:22:34 PM »

-Lee Atwater.

This begs the question, where did all these moderate pro civil rights southerners come from, and what had they been doing for the previous a hundred years.
They were the younger generations who were less racist than their parents, grandparents, etc. from the previous century.  It was essentially Nixon's regional, civil rghts version of the "Silent Majority."
MrMittens
Mittens
Rookie

« Reply #68 on: November 14, 2012, 03:40:15 PM »

When I read this thread I feel like Picard

Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #69 on: November 14, 2012, 04:49:09 PM »

That just goes to the youtube home page.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #70 on: November 14, 2012, 07:10:00 PM »

OK, here's the link, for real:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT7pASof8Lc
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #71 on: November 14, 2012, 07:12:39 PM »

Are you seriously posting a link to right-wing talk radio?
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #72 on: November 14, 2012, 09:05:54 PM »

-Lee Atwater.

They were the younger generations who were less racist than their parents, grandparents, etc. from the previous century.  It was essentially Nixon's regional, civil rghts version of the "Silent Majority."

lol
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #73 on: November 14, 2012, 09:21:14 PM »

That doesn't disprove the fact that Atwater was on tape, saying the exact quote that you stated that he never made.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #74 on: November 14, 2012, 09:58:30 PM »

That doesn't disprove the fact that Atwater was on tape, saying the exact quote that you stated that he never made.
OK, here's the link to the book that video came from:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/100265457/The-Truth-Nixon-s-Southern-Strategy
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies