Utah is on track to end homelessness by 2015 by simply giving away apartments (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 11:32:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Utah is on track to end homelessness by 2015 by simply giving away apartments (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Utah is on track to end homelessness by 2015 by simply giving away apartments  (Read 6939 times)
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« on: December 18, 2013, 09:52:48 PM »

In 2005, Utah calculated the annual cost of E.R. visits and jail stays for an average homeless person was $16,670, while the cost of providing an apartment and social worker would be $11,000. Each participant works with a caseworker to become self-sufficient, but if they fail, they still get to keep their apartment.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 10:34:28 PM »
« Edited: December 18, 2013, 10:36:29 PM by Speaker Scott »

The article doesn't state how this program came to be.  I'm surprised that a state like Utah of all places would embrace such a program, and now officials in Wyoming want to do the same thing.

Just imagine how much the homelessness problem would go down if states like California, New York, Pennsylvania and Michigan were to start something like this.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 11:19:08 PM »

The article doesn't state how this program came to be.  I'm surprised that a state like Utah of all places would embrace such a program, and now officials in Wyoming want to do the same thing.

Just imagine how much the homelessness problem would go down if states like California, New York, Pennsylvania and Michigan were to start something like this.

Except in CA and NY, it's less likely that the cost of housing the homeless would be cheaper than periodically putting out the fires of their periodic criminal and medical crises.

I don't have any numbers to verify what you said, but do you think that the status quo in CA and NY are preferable to Utah's program?  Homelessness is part of the reason those criminal and medical crises occur so frequently.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 11:21:54 PM »

Why should Republicans be outraged about this policy? If it actually saves money and gives people a fighting chance, why not? Mind you, if I was working my ass off just to stay above the poverty line and live in an apartment much like the ones that these former-homeless people are staying in for free, I'd be pretty pissed off. What incentive would I have to work?

I guess on the surface it looks like the state is saving money, but if the policy encourages people to fall into homelessness to reap these benefits, it's another story. So actually, I'm kind of torn.

Well, you still have the incentive to get into a nicer home or apartment.  Hence, you are incentivized to find work, especially since you're getting a caseworker to help you.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies