"America has the richest poor in the world!" (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 07:44:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  "America has the richest poor in the world!" (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "America has the richest poor in the world!"  (Read 1919 times)
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« on: October 12, 2013, 08:34:48 AM »

I've heard this talking point a lot, usually by right-wingers who think the poor have it too good in America.

If this is true, though-wouldn't that be a good thing? I mean, it's not like some of us want the poor to suffe...

Oh wait.

I have on idea where you heard any of this. But I tend to agree with the title.

America's 99% is the rest of the worlds 1%
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 09:51:02 PM »

I've heard this talking point a lot, usually by right-wingers who think the poor have it too good in America.

If this is true, though-wouldn't that be a good thing? I mean, it's not like some of us want the poor to suffe...

Oh wait.

I have on idea where you heard any of this. But I tend to agree with the title.

America's 99% is the rest of the worlds 1%
That might have been true in the 1950s, but it isn't now and hasn't been for decades. America has the worst inequality of any developed country, and inequality in the U.S. is now on par with many Latin American countries. Healthcare, education, and housing continue to become more expensive, and the Middle Class has seen no real wage growth in decades.

While growth has certainly been stagnant for the bottom 40% of income earners, the middle and lower income groups in this country are still in a much better situation than those in Latin America.

Thats not saying we dont need to take action to fix the social and economic ills in this country, but putting things in perspective, we're all pretty damn fortunate.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies