FL-Gov: Crist comeback getting underway (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 06:47:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  FL-Gov: Crist comeback getting underway (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: FL-Gov: Crist comeback getting underway  (Read 4814 times)
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« on: June 03, 2013, 01:05:32 PM »

Its laughable that some of you think Crist is in any way a moderate. To be a moderate would require him to stake out what his positions are, and he is the least likely to do that of anyone. If he was elected as a Democrat and thought he could better win reelection as a Republican there is no doubt he would switch back without a second thought. Crist's policies will be populist BS that will be liked because they sound good, no matter how terrible they actually are in practice.

I pray and hope that some democrat can knock him out in the primaries, it shouldn't be as hard as people think with all his baggage. I would donate all I could and be out knocking on doors to defeat Crist, I'd vote for Sink. And Brown isn't gonna run, his biggest Republican opponent for mayor just took a private sector job and he isn't gonna take the risk of giving potential opponents the ammunition that running for governor would provide.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 09:46:36 PM »

Great. So if he has no defined positions, it makes it that much more likely he'll adhere to some Dem positions when he runs as a Dem.

Unless he thinks they would hold back his further political carrier. If he thought the winds were blowing right he'd go right back to being "chain gang Charlie". If he ends up winning he'll lurch to the right immediately to get anything passed through the Republican legislature. You're bound for disappointment if you think anything else.

Here's a few quotes from him and his website in 2010
You must be logged in to read this quote.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

And Sjoyce, it'd be easier to accept that as a real change of heart if he didn't have quite a few cases of full turnabouts in belief. As recently as 2010 he had an A+ from the NRA http://www.politifact.com/florida/statements/2010/jul/14/charlie-crist/crist-stands-firm-gun-rights/ and now he talks about gun restrictions.

And here was his position on Obamacare in February 2010: “Absolutely not,” he said. “And the reason is three. Number one, it would raise the rates people would have to pay for health insurance. Number two, it would raise taxes at a time when we don’t need to be raising taxes at all. And number three, it would have the incredible effect of taking about half a trillion dollars out of Medicare.” Then, FIVE MONTHS LATER he says "I would have voted for it. But I think it can be done better, I really do." Even on education he's decided to up the pandering by changing his positions to oppose vouchers: http://tbo.com/news/who-is-the-real-charlie-crist-578827
Abortion has been probably his most consistent political position and he's even changed his stance on that 2 or 3 times.

Good lord, I don't see how you can like this spineless creep Sjoyce.  
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 11:47:22 AM »

Anyone who labeled Mitt Romney as a flip-flopper, opportunist, scumbag, etc., and doesn't label Crist the same is a hypocrite. Plain and simple.

At least Mitt Romney's alleged shift was basically from the middle to the right. Crist is trying to jump from the right all the way to the left, and I sincerely hope he doesn't get away with it.

Crist is no better than Romney. The difference is that one is running for governor of a state many hours away from me while the other was trying to be my president.

I just want him to beat Scott.

Which of Scott's policies in particular do you disagree with so much?
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 03:06:19 PM »

Anyone who labeled Mitt Romney as a flip-flopper, opportunist, scumbag, etc., and doesn't label Crist the same is a hypocrite. Plain and simple.

At least Mitt Romney's alleged shift was basically from the middle to the right. Crist is trying to jump from the right all the way to the left, and I sincerely hope he doesn't get away with it.

Crist is no better than Romney. The difference is that one is running for governor of a state many hours away from me while the other was trying to be my president.

I just want him to beat Scott.

Which of Scott's policies in particular do you disagree with so much?

You really need to ask that?

And then there's the strategical implications of having a Democrat as governor of a swing state for '16 instead of a Republican.

I really do. What specifically has he done in office that you disagree so vehemently with? He's been the moderate force as compared to the legislature (which is itself more moderate than many other Republican legislatures). Why are you so desperate to be rid of him personally that you'd accept the lowest of the very low?
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 06:26:40 AM »
« Edited: June 05, 2013, 06:34:49 AM by Speaker Dereich »

I thought we already have a Democratic candidate running for governor named Nan Rich. Did she drop out and I somehow missed that?

Nan Rich has never had much of a chance of winning the Democratic primary. She's technically plausible as former Senate minority leader, but she's widely seen as too liberal to do well outside Democratic strongholds. She declared really really early hoping to gain momentum before big names like Sink or Crist jumped into the race. While she's been getting into the news a bit over the last week or so she's still too low in name recognition to do very well. The GOP are actually doing a media campaign on twitter right now supporting Nan Rich (and embarrassing the state Democrats) called #FreeNanRich over her being denied a speaking slot at the big Democratic gathering of the year.

Oh, and I've said it before, but I've always been a big fan of Alex Sink and never doubted for a moment that she'd be running. I hope she can take Crist out.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies