Which describes Mormonism better? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 03:39:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Which describes Mormonism better? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Moron...I mean Mormonism?
A genuine form of Protestant Christianity

A cult form of Christianity

A neither Catholic, Orthodox, or Protestant form of Christianity

Not Christianity

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 53

Author Topic: Which describes Mormonism better?  (Read 5307 times)
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: February 03, 2015, 01:38:45 PM »

Anything other than Option 3 is ignorance, or prejudice as our "esteemed" afleitch so shows.

The fact that Mormonism gets discussed in such hallowed 'academic' terms even on this forum is a testament to how ingrained it is now. Even though it's founder was clearly a deluded, self aggrandizing sexual predator.

Putting slants aside, no freaking duh it's discussed in academic terms. As long as it has a very clear beginning, middle, and afterlife that suggests Godhood when the rest of the world at bests barely suggests an afterlife and/or simply calls death the end.

When there are details like that, that specific and different...then of course it will be discussed academically whether the hell you like the source or the ideas or not.  Ideas are not killed, only put to rest for a time being.

What's next, scoff at the idea of civil disobedience just because Gandhi was racist?  Question the effects of sending gifted speakers to foreign countries to peaceably settle relations just because the advocate was a Euro-centric segregationist?
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 05:45:06 PM »

Anything other than Option 3 is ignorance, or prejudice as our "esteemed" afleitch so shows.

How would you define Christianity?

Mormonism's theology is very different from other forms of Christianity. For all of our differences, Catholics, and Protestants can agree on the Nicene Creed, more or less the same scriptures and so on. Even the Oriental Orthodox with their monophysite Christology can at least agree with the rest of mainstream Christianity on many major issues.

While I don't expect most of the forum to agree with my Calvinist definition of a Christian church, Mormonism's status as a Christian church can be questioned even under a relatively liberal definition. E.g. requiring monotheism.

It's in the very root, Christ and more specifically, the divinity of the Atonement

Question: Moron...I mean Mormonism?  (quote from original poster)

The extreme bigotry of the original poster, MC Tricky Dick, comes through loud and clear.

Just look at how he words the poll question.

It's just a joke. The question is always in the title.

Not called for, especially since it started off as a mere detractor name in the first place.

How would you define Christianity?

Mormonism's theology is very different from other forms of Christianity. For all of our differences, Catholics, and Protestants can agree on the Nicene Creed, more or less the same scriptures and so on. Even the Oriental Orthodox with their monophysite Christology can at least agree with the rest of mainstream Christianity on many major issues.

While I don't expect most of the forum to agree with my Calvinist definition of a Christian church, Mormonism's status as a Christian church can be questioned even under a relatively liberal definition. E.g. requiring monotheism.

It's in the root itself, Christ, or more specifically that he is the Messiah that atoned for the sins of the world and he was the only Begotten one. That's a clear definition, and we fit into that just fine.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 12:09:12 AM »

By adding new texts as Holy Writ, the Mormons have created a tradition as distinct from other branches of Christianity as Roman Catholicism is from Protestantism or Eastern Orthodoxy.

And a growing canon to boot.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies