Italians and Jews in NY/NJ (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 08:55:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Italians and Jews in NY/NJ (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Italians and Jews in NY/NJ  (Read 3560 times)
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« on: November 10, 2015, 11:53:48 PM »

In addition to the various theories posted in that thread (most of which probably have something to do with it), "less assimilated" may also mean "more religious" for the area's Italians just as that correlation holds with our Jewish populations.

Dyker Heights is still quite Republican, as it is still heavily Italian and also fairly wealthy.  In Bensonhurst, now, the old generation of Italians is being slowly replaced by a mostly Chinese immigrant (/"moving on up" from Sunset Park/Chinatown) population, and they've voted about 50/50 for Obama, more Republican downballot.  Presumably with those numbers, the Italians in Bensonhurst are strongly Republican.

But less strong than another Italian stronghold, the South Shore of Staten Island.

As for NJ, 60/40 seems like a good guess.  The heavily Italian inner suburbs seemed to be better McCain territory than the non-Italian inner suburbs, even after controlling for the non-white vote.  (I don't know enough about fine-grained ethnic patterns in further-out rings to pass judgment.)  Though it's not like Tammany where there's no space in Dem politics for Italian names– plenty of those around too.  Including, unsurprisingly, the current mayor of my hometown, where Italians are a sizable but falling chunk of a population that has been getting slowly less white over the decades.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 01:42:42 AM »

Also, speaking of Italian-American culture- my old hometown has a Christopher Columbus statue downtown. Tongue
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 11:31:40 AM »

New Jersey I'm less familiar with, but I'll say it's about 60-65% D: obviously there's a lot of affluent suburban liberals, but observant Jews likely make up a larger proportion of the state than the US average (i.e. Lakewood, Teaneck).

Also Passaic Park, which is a Republican area in otherwise heavily-Dem and heavily-Latino Passaic, spilling over into Clifton a little bit.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies