PA-17/Susquehanna: Safe D (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 07:53:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2010 Elections
  2010 House Election Polls
  PA-17/Susquehanna: Safe D (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: PA-17/Susquehanna: Safe D  (Read 2618 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: October 25, 2010, 06:29:36 PM »

Odd kind of place whose voting patterns I don't understand. The best-fitting simple narrative might be that it just drifted Republican earlier than similar places elsewhere... but somehow stopped drifting at some point.

I think the coal industry died out earlier there than elsewhere. Centralia is nearby, too, although it's in Columbia County. There's also a big Lithuanian population there that is unique in the country, might make for unusual voting patterns. New Philadelphia is the most Lithuanian town in the country, IIRC. The Yuengling brewery is politically important in Pottsville, too.

I  was drinking a Yuengling this weekend and wondered about the family's politics or if they had any. Can you elaborate, Verily?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 06:17:35 PM »

Badger, I tried out that beer in Gettysburg, in that tavern in the basement below the Dobbin House. It was very good. Smiley

Regarding the Rev Dobbin, I wonder how that minister from "Ireland" (I would bet dollars to donuts he was from Antrim), made all his money to build such a fancy house back in the 18th century. Did they have the functional equivalent of televangelists in the 18th century?  Smiley

A real favorite of mine for 20 years. I'm glad America's Oldest Brewery (in continuous operation) is growing as a regional brew. They've earned it.

If at all possible try their Porter. It's not commercially pushed as heavily as their Lager or Black and Tan, but in terms of pure craftsmanship its their masterpiece.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies