Albright College cuts football player for kneeling at National Anthem
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 03:58:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Albright College cuts football player for kneeling at National Anthem
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Albright College cuts football player for kneeling at National Anthem  (Read 613 times)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 11, 2017, 05:41:10 PM »

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2738139-gyree-durante-cut-by-albright-college-after-kneeling-during-national-anthem

You must be logged in to read this quote.

How much do you want to bet the school spokesman is covering his derriere here?
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 05:56:31 PM »

There are times when I wish that I was back in grade school so that I can kneel during the pledge of allegiance.

As for the spokesman, I'm willing to bet one hundred American dollars that he is trying to cover his ass.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 06:43:29 PM »

Well, if the player agreed to stand, as the article seems to say, then he should have done what the entire team agreed to.
I don't think they should cut him though. But if I was the coach, or another team member, I would be very disappointed. As I tell people at work, I don't like surprises. If there is something significant that you are going to do or say, then it would be nice to be informed, ahead of time (before you do it).
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 07:50:21 PM »

Division III is where true amateurism remains.  He's not losing a scholarship or getting kicked out of school.
Andrew
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 04:42:25 PM »

It's clear that the decision to stand during the national anthem was not, as the article stated, "team-wide."
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 05:48:36 PM »

Kudos to the coach
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 03:12:57 PM »

He has the right to not stand for the anthem.. He also has the right to suffer the consequences of his actions.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2017, 04:41:56 PM »

Hurray for authoritarianism!!! Seriously though, I know many of you might think it's too extreme to label this as "fascist" but really think about it. It was something encouraged by both Mussolini and Hitler.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2017, 06:51:10 PM »

Hurray for authoritarianism!!! Seriously though, I know many of you might think it's too extreme to label this as "fascist" but really think about it. It was something encouraged by both Mussolini and Hitler.

It's high school. Kids don't have rights
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2017, 07:17:57 PM »

Wrong. It's a private college. Kids do have rights, but so do private institutions. Both got to exercise their rights fully here.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2017, 07:56:32 PM »

Wrong. It's a private college. Kids do have rights, but so do private institutions. Both got to exercise their rights fully here.

Correct.
SNJ1985
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.19, S: 7.57

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2017, 08:14:31 PM »

I thought you leftists believed ''freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom from the consequences of that speech''.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2017, 08:47:24 PM »

I thought you leftists believed ''freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom from the consequences of that speech''.

We ... do?

Just because "Albright College" didn't technically break any laws (assuming they are a private college) doesn't mean that people can't disagree with their decision.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies