Which of these "covid view camps" do you fall into? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 09:17:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Which of these "covid view camps" do you fall into? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: See below for restrictions
Camp 1

Camp 2

Camp 3

Camp 4

Camp 5

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 144

Author Topic: Which of these "covid view camps" do you fall into?  (Read 7923 times)
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« on: January 15, 2022, 04:27:08 PM »

Agree with Shua, voted for #5. I don't think we should be specifically testing people for COVID and requiring them to quarantine, but we should be providing paid sick leave to everyone and encouraging anyone with a flu-like illness (Covid or not) to take advantage of it.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2022, 03:36:19 PM »

There's no way this forum is majority 4 and 5. The vast majority of this forum was decrying the supreme court striking down Biden's tyrannical osha mandate. While I'm happy and relieved that was struck down (and it'll help Biden and the economy in the long run politically), I was also pretty disappointed that the Supreme Court upheld the CMS mandate (especially because it was so close), while many of the milquetoast Republicans on this forum thought both decisions were the right choice.
Vaccine mandates are an outlier issue for this forum, which is much more opposed to other restrictions like mask mandates and lockdowns. Seems pretty obvious why: This forum is overwhelmingly vaccinated already, so vaccine mandates have zero effect on the lives of most people here. I find the individual liberty argument compelling, but for most it's the easiest policy to sign on to in order to "end the pandemic" at no cost to themselves.

I've only come around to opposing vaccine mandates because of Omicron. If vaccines substantially lowered the risk of spread, I could still see the logic in requiring them, especially in healthcare settings — we should be able to require people to make certain choices if it substantially reduces the harm they do to other people. With Omicron, however, spread is inevitable, so there’s not really a compelling logic to requiring vaccinations; it still reduces your risk of dying and is a good individual decision to make for the vast majority of people, but the broader societal benefit just isn’t there anymore.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies