Update on SSM SCOTUS oral argument (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 12:55:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Update on SSM SCOTUS oral argument (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Update on SSM SCOTUS oral argument  (Read 5758 times)
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« on: April 28, 2015, 05:03:00 PM »

That the real issue is "who do you want to marry?" argued by Kagan/Sotomayor resonates with me. That's it as far as I'm concerned. I understand that Kennedy more or less ended up there in the later stages of his questioning. IDK, I've read a couple accounts of it today.

Roberts' argument (if it was an argument) that there's too much progress too soon for the SCOTUS to blanket rule for SSM tells me that the votes are there to do it, probably 5-4 for SSM, and that seems directed at Kennedy. The "millennia" (Appeal to Tradition fallacy) argument used by the anti-SSM side of this was to me laughable. We could turn that around and talk about the plethora of undemocratic attitudes that have been abandoned over the centuries, and it's just nonsense to apply that same argument to those issues (rise of democracy, rise of voting, decline of religion, etc.). I think we're at a point where the country sees SSM in those terms, and to allow a few states to ban it based on bigoted attitudes to me would be a travesty. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies