More Educated = More Liberal? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 11:42:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  More Educated = More Liberal? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: More Educated = More Liberal?  (Read 8906 times)
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« on: July 23, 2013, 02:31:38 AM »

Over time, people have been stating that more educated are more liberal, but I've questioned that statement. According to the national exit poll....

No High School Diploma (3%): 64% Obama, 35% Romney
High School Graduate (21%): 51% Obama, 48% Romney
Some college (29%): 49% Obama, 48% Romney
College Graduate (29%): 51% Romney, 47% Obama
Postgraduate Study (18%): 55% Obama, 42% Romney

College Graduate (47%): 50% Obama, 48% Romney
Non-College Graduate (53%): 51% Obama, 47% Romney

Unless by Postgraduate Study that you mean "Educated" I really don't see how this is the case. I've been quite confused on this topic so I though I would ask about it. Overall the more educated someone is the more likely to vote republican. Waukesha County, a very well educated County is much more conservative than Milwaukee County, a less if not poorly educated county (overall). However that's just an example and not always the case.

There is a liberal "State" point where less educated states vote more republican, but I found that black communities in particular are less educated than white communities. Southern Whites aren't well educated either, but it's making a point. There are plenty of educated liberal places too like Massachusetts and Montgomery County, MD, but I really think people abuse the Post-Graduate Study info to say that liberals are more educated and smarter overall, but I find that not to be the case and as the exit poll showed, all together people with no college degrees are more democratic than people with college degrees, and every higher rank of education gets more conservative with the top Post-Graduate being the exception.

What's your opinion on this? and How will this trend into the future? Feel free to disagree or argue against me.

ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 10:09:18 AM »

I think some people put too much weight on the "education" argument.

For one, as much as this will disturb the paternalists who want to think they are naturally better than everyone (ie those who can't just be in a better moral position than those they disagree with), there are a lot of degreed jobs that are just naturally biased towards certain political philosophies.  Speaking firsthand as a left wing Accounting major, I can't imagine that there will be any serious trend amongst General Business types to vote Democrat.  Considering how many jobs there are in business environments that involve degrees like Marketing, Advertising, Finance, yada yada it's not surprising why there is a high number of Republican graduates.  And given the amount of student loan debts many have, I doubt there is that much incentive for a business grad to further their education beyond the typical "license" tests like the CPA exam or what have you.  Likely, they'll just get their 150 hours down, take the test, and then call it a day.  Many people don't see the point of having a Masters in Accountancy when a CPA license will make them 70% more sellable to employers at a fraction of the cost.  But of course, you also need a years worth of workplace experience before you get the license so I digress.

I imagine that for fields like Liberal Arts or advanced sciences that a Masters degree or higher is a lot more of a necessity, thus probably why postgrads are so Democratic.

What I'm seeing isn't really measurement of intelligence between parties, just the difference between the parties on the economic front.  A Psych major is likely going to approve more of lenient debt policies than a Marketing major because a Pscyh student is more likely going to need more debt than a Marketing student in order to get into their field.

Just my two cents.

Most basically Post-Grad jobs favor democrats because of policies. Thanks for your opinion.

In short here's what I think this would be like in an election:

Poorly Educated: Solidly Democrat
Average Educated: Lean R
Very Well Educated: Toss-Up (Which is statistically including Post-Grad)
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies