Top Five Most Religious U.S. States (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 08:39:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Top Five Most Religious U.S. States (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Top Five Most Religious U.S. States  (Read 8340 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

« on: December 13, 2007, 09:49:00 PM »

fezzy's comment was offensive, but one of the main attractions that religions have for people is definitely that they offer hope and sustenance beyond the physical, and people who are down on their luck in life are more likely to look for those things. I don't think it's a great mystery. Nor is it surprising that modernity has not succeeded in solving all of humanity's problems.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 10:56:23 PM »

fezzy's comment was offensive, but one of the main attractions that religions have for people is definitely that they offer hope and sustenance beyond the physical, and people who are down on their luck in life are more likely to look for those things. I don't think it's a great mystery. Nor is it surprising that modernity has not succeeded in solving all of humanity's problems.

But then religion is only worthwhile as a blanket, which is nice but rather naive. I suppose people can't be forced not to retreat to religion for comfort, but it baffles me why it is encouraged. Surely we should be facing our problems?

Religion should not be used as a crutch. But arguably, everyone needs something more than what the physical world offers, regardless of one's current station in life. This is not just 'feeble-minded' people (often those people do not even know to look for religion), and not just poor people or unhappy people. It is interesting that America is the most affluent, successful and materialistic society on earth and yet even in our wealthy states, a large majority of people are religious.

Further, there is the notion that even someone who lives entirely in the physical realm cannot by definition realize their full humanity. This is a huge chasm between the materialistic left and the traditional right, but it need not determine one's politics.

In Christianity, the biggest attraction is a personal relationship with Jesus. If you like Him, and are attracted to Him, this is the greatest reward. The afterlife and self-affirmation is significant, but it's only because you get to spend more time with Him.

Religion is a lot more complicated than it was being painted in my comment. I was just expressing my reactions to fezzy's comment.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies