Will Bernie Sanders be gracious in defeat?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 02:02:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Will Bernie Sanders be gracious in defeat?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6
Poll
Question: ...or will he be a stubborn old asshole?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 136

Author Topic: Will Bernie Sanders be gracious in defeat?  (Read 10305 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2016, 05:45:54 AM »

We get it, Lyin' Steve. You have some sort of hatred for Bernie Sanders. Now sit down and shut up. You have contributed absolutely nothing of value to this forum since the day you first joined.

This guy is just despicable - Class less person. The Clintonhacks in these forum are some of the most pathetic virtual people there is & give a bad name to the few decent Clinton supporters.

I put him on ignore - Thank god!

Aside of him, Lief and Landslide Lyndon, I find them actually civil.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2016, 05:50:01 AM »

You have a really weird hatred of Sanders, Lyin Steve.

As opposed to the completely logical hatred of Clinton that jfern and Idiot Canuck have.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2016, 05:53:27 AM »

As opposed to the completely logical hatred of Clinton that jfern and Idiot Canuck have.

The pot calling the kettle black, again.
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2016, 06:44:26 AM »

He would, but this supporter is not surrendering just yet.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2016, 07:00:54 AM »

The question is rather vague. I think he'll be gracious in defeat, but not in the way that Lyin' Steve wants him to.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2016, 09:05:56 AM »

I hope so, but I highly doubt it. His supporters are never going to vote for Clinton anyway, so there's no point in being gracious. When the common consensus across the Bernie Sanders camp is that any woman voting for Hillary is just "voting with her vagina," I highly doubt that even if he does concede defeat that he'll be able to get his supporters to join our side. After all, these are Democrats who've been conditioned to believe right-wing propaganda (Benghazi, emails, etc.)
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2016, 09:26:29 AM »

The pot calling the kettle black, again.

It's not just the pot calling the kettle black here. It's the black pot calling the red kettle black.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2016, 09:53:30 AM »

I hope so, but I highly doubt it. His supporters are never going to vote for Clinton anyway, so there's no point in being gracious. When the common consensus across the Bernie Sanders camp is that any woman voting for Hillary is just "voting with her vagina," I highly doubt that even if he does concede defeat that he'll be able to get his supporters to join our side. After all, these are Democrats who've been conditioned to believe right-wing propaganda (Benghazi, emails, etc.)

You're confusing a few angry people on the Internet with the majority of Sanders supporters. And if Sanders supporters are so universally opposed to Clinton, then wouldn't that make Sanders the more electable candidate?
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2016, 09:56:15 AM »

I think he would. This question should be about his supporters.
Zache

« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2016, 04:23:05 PM »
« Edited: March 16, 2016, 04:25:39 PM by Zache »

Maybe not. Looks like the Sanders campaign is weighing the possibility of flipping Clinton's pledged delegates.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

And courting superdelegates.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2016, 04:28:12 PM »

Those two plans seem at odds. If Sanders went all ninja delegates with the pledged, then the Supers would almost universally (or even more universally than they are now) turn on him, possibly even the handful that he has already secured.  And there is no way he can ninja more pledged than the total of Supers. So this is a stupid thing for him to say.   

I suspect this is another case of his advisors getting out ahead of the candidate. I doubt Sanders himself would go down that road. 
Zache

« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2016, 04:30:24 PM »

Those two plans seem at odds. If Sanders went all ninja delegates with the pledged, then the Supers would almost universally (or even more universally than they are now) turn on him, possibly even the handful that he has already secured.  And there is no way he can ninja more pledged than the total of Supers. So this is a stupid thing for him to say.  

I suspect this is another case of his advisors getting out ahead of the candidate. I doubt Sanders himself would go down that road.  

Yeah, I agree. This is probably just Devine mouthing off again.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2016, 04:39:46 PM »

Sanders will be very gracious when he eventually drops-out, he's a very classy man.

A very large portion of his supporters though... not so much.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2016, 05:25:30 PM »

Maybe not. Looks like the Sanders campaign is weighing the possibility of flipping Clinton's pledged delegates.

Much easier to flip non pledged caucus delegates that haven't elected pledged national delegates, but there's only so many of those.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2016, 05:34:34 PM »

He will become the Democratic version of Goldwater, hopefully. Hillary isn't stupid and knows the Democratic Party is shifting to the left.
Adam the Gr8
AM33
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.55, S: 0.70

« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2016, 05:39:02 PM »

I'm pretty sure he will.

Some of his supporters on the other hand...
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2016, 08:53:31 PM »

Yes. The overarching goal at the start of his campaign was to influence the Democratic Party, Hillary Clinton, and the country as a whole. Given Clinton's leftward shift to more Sanders-esque policies and rhetoric, he'll probably agree that he succeeded in his goal to some extent. He'll support Clinton wholeheartedly to carry his ideas into the White House.

No, the goal was to win, not to have Hillary feint left.

Do you really think Bernie thought he could win when he began his campaign?

Maybe later on it seemed possible to him, but initially there's no way.

Back in 2014, he was saying he was thinking of running, but only if he thought he could win.  Just because he wasn't taken seriously for a long time didn't mean it wasn't a serious campaign.

Incidentally, I just happened to read this article today:

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/03/bernie-sanders-2016-inside-213692?o=1
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2016, 08:56:53 PM »

Yes. The overarching goal at the start of his campaign was to influence the Democratic Party, Hillary Clinton, and the country as a whole. Given Clinton's leftward shift to more Sanders-esque policies and rhetoric, he'll probably agree that he succeeded in his goal to some extent. He'll support Clinton wholeheartedly to carry his ideas into the White House.

Back in 2014, he was saying he was thinking of running, but only if he thought he could win.  Just because he wasn't taken seriously for a long time didn't mean it wasn't a serious campaign.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/03/bernie-sanders-2016-inside-213692?o=1

Good to know Bernie saw things more or less the way I did. He always struck me as a very down-to-earth guy.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2016, 09:00:01 PM »

He will. The Democratic race has actually been an incredibly civil affair so far that contrasts well with the sh[inks]show on the Republican so. There's much less bitterness and division this time around than there was between Hillary and Obama in 2008, and I expect that he will indeed be gracious in defeat.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2016, 09:05:35 PM »

Back in 2014, he was saying he was thinking of running, but only if he thought he could win.  Just because he wasn't taken seriously for a long time didn't mean it wasn't a serious campaign.

Good to know Bernie saw things more or less the way I did. He always struck me as a very down-to-earth guy.

Bernie knew the odds were always definitely stacked against him, but he did make it clear he was running to win. Back in 2014, he said he'd only run if he thought he had a chance.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2016, 09:06:04 PM »

He will.

I'm much more concerned about some of his supporters. I hope they stay involved in the process and actually vote in November.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2016, 09:14:30 PM »

This clearly about maintaining fundraising and didn't Bernie himself just saying something about trying to draw superdelegates over?

This is probably the first time I've legitimately heard the campaign sound as detached from reality as the more ... fervent supporters.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2016, 09:33:18 PM »

Bernie knew the odds were always definitely stacked against him, but he did make it clear he was running to win. Back in 2014, he said he'd only run if he thought he had a chance.

Yes, he was running to win, and rightfully so, but I think he also knew that he could have an important role in the Democratic party even if he didn't. And that's what he will be doing now, trying to lay the groundwork for a lasting progressive movement.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2016, 09:39:20 PM »

After this issue of possibly attempting to flip pledged delegates, I'm not so sure he'll be all that gracious. If his campaign actually tries that strategy, it's pretty much unlikely that he'll even endorse Clinton after the primary.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2016, 09:49:15 PM »

After this issue of possibly attempting to flip pledged delegates, I'm not so sure he'll be all that gracious. If his campaign actually tries that strategy, it's pretty much unlikely that he'll even endorse Clinton after the primary.

I'm sure it was just one staffer talking out of his ass. They can't possibly actually try that.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies