Will Trump order a strike on NK?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 06:20:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Will Trump order a strike on NK?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: -skip-
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 73

Author Topic: Will Trump order a strike on NK?  (Read 4904 times)
PresidentSamTilden

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2017, 07:49:36 PM »

But economic domination (extreme case) means the Chinese upper class moving to the USA and buying up the place, so they are likely to just keeping speaking Chinese whilst owning half of New York, Los Angeles and Seattle.

Just like the US owned half of China and spoke English in it when we had half the world's wealth in the 1950's?
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2017, 07:52:16 PM »

NK?  Is that what we're calling it now?  When I was your age it was PDRK.  I can't get used to all this political correctness.

As for the OP, I have no idea.  Trump is one of the few things even more perplexing than newspeak.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2017, 08:06:21 PM »
« Edited: April 15, 2017, 08:35:18 PM by Arch »

it will be generations before such a worldwide consensus language shift occurs, barring extremely exceptional circumstances.

Yes, you are probably right. A lot of people have a similar opinion:

http://www.chinasimplified.com/2015/04/03/will-speaking-chinese-future/

The main issue will be whether the Chinese are learning English in their own country.

But economic domination (extreme case) means the Chinese upper class moving to the USA and buying up the place, so they are likely to just keeping speaking Chinese whilst owning half of New York, Los Angeles and Seattle.

We saw a similar thing happen in 1066 when the Anglo-Normans conquered England. French was practically the sole institutional language for about a century, but the laypeople still spoke English as their native and main cultural language. Eventually, due a combination of events and just by the effect of time, English gained prestige again and became the language of government once more. Top-down language imposition rarely works unless you exterminate the speakers (think colonization of the Caribbean, etc.)
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2017, 08:24:53 PM »

They are not stupid, and even though their political system.is draconian, nonetheless it posesses long term strategic strength unavailable to 4 year term western democracies.

So yeah, we need to start getting that part of the world to play ball.
This is correct. Individual liberty is not a high priority in China for its leaders or even its citizens.

China is has sort of its own version of Wilsonianism that has persisted throughout history. While many of us in the West dream of a world of free markets, free speech, and free elections, China has an equally idealistic dream of sharing the beauty and wisdom of Chinese civilization with other, lesser nations. China is not just a country, it's an idea and a symbol - even those who conquer it end up becoming part of it. To them, projecting power into the South China Sea is not an act of aggression, but a stepping stone towards their destiny as the greatest country in the world. I suppose you could even call it an "act of love". They have a fundamentally different understanding of the world than us, and it's not useful to think of them as something comparable to a modern Western nation-state.

If you care about individual liberty, democracy, and a modern Western understanding of human rights, you should want the West to resist China, and for other countries who aspire to the same values to join us.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2017, 08:53:53 PM »
« Edited: April 15, 2017, 09:22:57 PM by ProudModerate2 »

If anyone believes this to be a dominant language of our world's future ..... you are crazy.
The world has been simplifying how everything is done, not complicating it.
Though I absolutely love the 2002 TV show Firefly, Chinese will not spread beyond its own borders.

Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2017, 09:11:04 PM »

Start learning:

Your masters will be very disappointed with you Beet if you dont learn their language.

再见!

汉字不太难了。英文比中文难。

我也这么觉得
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2017, 09:20:22 PM »

Trump is unhinged so it's a tossup.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2017, 09:23:12 PM »

Isolated strikes against North Korea do not solve anything. North Korea is like a landmine on China's doorstep - we need to detonate it in a way that is as damaging to China as possible. Then we need to "strongly guide" South Korea to establish an individualistic, constitutionally Christian, anti-Confucian unified American client state, establishing a beachhead of liberty on China's doorstep. Recognize Taiwan the very next day and provide moral leadership for other free countries to do the same. Then get Japan to repeal the pacifist clauses of their constitution and encourage them to embrace their proud military heritage and greatly expand their offensive capabilities.

The dragon must be slain. Within 10 years, we will reach a point of no return where we will inevitably be resigned to Chinese global hegemony within the next 50 years.
Thank god you hold no elected office
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2017, 09:30:31 PM »

Isolated strikes against North Korea do not solve anything. North Korea is like a landmine on China's doorstep - we need to detonate it in a way that is as damaging to China as possible. Then we need to "strongly guide" South Korea to establish an individualistic, constitutionally Christian, anti-Confucian unified American client state, establishing a beachhead of liberty on China's doorstep. Recognize Taiwan the very next day and provide moral leadership for other free countries to do the same. Then get Japan to repeal the pacifist clauses of their constitution and encourage them to embrace their proud military heritage and greatly expand their offensive capabilities.

The dragon must be slain. Within 10 years, we will reach a point of no return where we will inevitably be resigned to Chinese global hegemony within the next 50 years.

I was thinking the same thing when he responded to one of my posts (below).
But trust me, trump is not far from this level of wackiness.

Korea is a country that has historically ranged from being part of China (Yuan dynasty) to being a client state of China (basically the rest of its existence before the 20th century), and this remains its destiny. Truthfully, North Korea's place in the world as an isolated nation dependent on China is actually more faithful to history than South Korea. This is an oft-unspoken part of the reason why China continues to shield North Korea - they're not merely a buffer state. Using cultural aspects of Christianity to establish a quasi-Western state is the only way to break Korea free from eternal servitude under China.

Imagine a unified, advanced, unapologetically pro-Western Korea, a country that the Chinese people consider to be "little brother", on the frontier of tyranny. China's leaders may be cruel, but they are wise and they pay very high deference to history and culture. They know the danger this would pose to their current regime, and this is why they often make knee-jerk reactions to cultural imports from Korea, while being comparatively lenient on Taiwanese cultural imports or excessively bourgeois domestic cultural products, which are consumed far more by most of the population.

Their leaders are smarter than ours. The only way we can win is if we turn their fears into reality.

Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2017, 10:21:00 PM »

I was thinking the same thing when he responded to one of my posts (below).
But trust me, trump is not far from this level of wackiness.

Korea is a country that has historically ranged from being part of China (Yuan dynasty) to being a client state of China (basically the rest of its existence before the 20th century), and this remains its destiny. Truthfully, North Korea's place in the world as an isolated nation dependent on China is actually more faithful to history than South Korea. This is an oft-unspoken part of the reason why China continues to shield North Korea - they're not merely a buffer state. Using cultural aspects of Christianity to establish a quasi-Western state is the only way to break Korea free from eternal servitude under China.

Imagine a unified, advanced, unapologetically pro-Western Korea, a country that the Chinese people consider to be "little brother", on the frontier of tyranny. China's leaders may be cruel, but they are wise and they pay very high deference to history and culture. They know the danger this would pose to their current regime, and this is why they often make knee-jerk reactions to cultural imports from Korea, while being comparatively lenient on Taiwanese cultural imports or excessively bourgeois domestic cultural products, which are consumed far more by most of the population.

Their leaders are smarter than ours. The only way we can win is if we turn their fears into reality.

Santander is a post-reality voter.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #60 on: April 16, 2017, 06:51:21 AM »
« Edited: April 16, 2017, 07:27:17 AM by Meclazine »

Uh..oh.

Chances of a Trump strike went up by about 20%.

"The President and his military team are aware of North Korea's most recent unsuccessful missile launch. The President has no further comment," US Defense Secretary James Mattis said.

Mad Dog is on the case.

And Kim Jong Un has taken to Twitter:

14 Apr
Kim Jong Un‏ @KimJongOnfire
@POTUS you are imperialist stooge but you drop big f$%&in bombs. My communist brother @BarackObama was nicer den u. I keep eye on you now.

Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #61 on: April 16, 2017, 02:45:38 PM »

it will be generations before such a worldwide consensus language shift occurs, barring extremely exceptional circumstances.

The main issue will be whether the Chinese are learning English in their own country.

We saw a similar thing happen in 1066 when the Anglo-Normans conquered England. French was practically the sole institutional language for about a century, but the laypeople still spoke English as their native and main cultural language. Eventually, due a combination of events and just by the effect of time, English gained prestige again and became the language of government once more. Top-down language imposition rarely works unless you exterminate the speakers (think colonization of the Caribbean, etc.)

What about the Celtic languages?  Welsh is the only one that isn't endangered.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #62 on: April 16, 2017, 02:51:55 PM »

What about the Celtic languages?  Welsh is the only one that isn't endangered.

If you are referring to language shifts after the Celtic Fringe, yes. That would be one of those rare cases because there was a lot of intermarrying taking place between the Normans, the Scots, etc. There was a lot of cultural assimilation by the point the languages were lost, but we're still talking about a scope of centuries, and Welsh, as you noted, still survives.
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #63 on: April 16, 2017, 02:55:19 PM »

If anyone believes this to be a dominant language of our world's future ..... you are crazy.
Though I absolutely love the 2002 TV show Firefly, Chinese will not spread beyond its own borders.

It already has (Singapore).

Anyway, it isn't nearly as difficult as people make it out to be.  Chinese is actually a very logical language that feels more natural than other languages.  In English we have "be," while we also have "am," "is," and "are."  In Chinese there is just "是."  Makes more sense.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #64 on: April 16, 2017, 02:58:32 PM »

Anyway, it isn't nearly as difficult as people make it out to be.  Chinese is actually a very logical language that feels more natural than other languages.  In English we have "be," while we also have "am," "is," and "are."  In Chinese there is just "是."  Makes more sense.

That table (image) referenced above, does not "make more sense."
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #65 on: April 16, 2017, 03:09:45 PM »

That's what I used to think.  But then I learned about strokes.  Just like words in English are combinations of letters, Chinese words are combinations of strokes.  Here are some Chinese words that can be written more quickly than their English translation:

一one
二two
三three
人person
女woman
中middle
小small
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #66 on: May 01, 2017, 10:28:54 PM »

That's what I used to think.  But then I learned about strokes.  Just like words in English are combinations of letters, Chinese words are combinations of strokes.  Here are some Chinese words that can be written more quickly than their English translation:

一one
二two
三three
人person
女woman
中middle
小small

If you think I'm going to start speaking that, Ive got a bridge in Alaska with your name on it.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #67 on: May 01, 2017, 10:29:53 PM »

一one
二two
三three
人person
女woman
中middle
小small

If you think I'm going to start speaking that, Ive got a bridge in Alaska with your name on it.

lmao
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #68 on: May 04, 2017, 11:17:08 PM »

This reminds me of how Netanyahu repeatedly promised that his country would attack Iran to stop their nuclear weapons program. I suspect the likelihood of Trump actually carrying out an attack on NK is about the same as Netanyahu following through with his threats on Iran.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies