Pence: "Mulan" was a liberal conspiracy, women can't fight! (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 03:53:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Pence: "Mulan" was a liberal conspiracy, women can't fight! (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Pence: "Mulan" was a liberal conspiracy, women can't fight!  (Read 875 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: July 19, 2016, 12:23:36 AM »

America has lost its mind on the military.

Whether it is good or bad for women, LGBTs, or anyone else to serve in forward areas in combat, I don't know.  But military service is not a RIGHT; it is a PRIVILEGE that ought to be granted solely on the basis of what our military leaders believe to be in the best interest of the defense of America.  We've gone a long way down another road, mostly as a result of political forces.  Time will tell if this is good for the defense of America.  This is, however, an issue where political correctness has very truly silenced much of the legitimate debate of the cost/benefits to our country regarding our policy on who will and won't be allowed to serve.

I......think that debate's already been settled, FB. Like literally about a decade ago.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 12:27:29 AM »

If the worst dirt they have on Pence is that he made a stupid comment on radio twenty years ago then they are grasping at straws.

He hasn't said or done a single thing in the intervening 17 years to indicate the slightest changing or softening of his views; not just about women in the military, but even his overall world view.

Seriously: Name one thing that indicates Pence doesn't still today have this the same bizzare neo-Talibanesque outlook on any issue you can think of.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 12:38:18 AM »

Whether it is good or bad for women, LGBTs, or anyone else to serve in forward areas in combat, I don't know.  But military service is not a RIGHT; it is a PRIVILEGE that ought to be granted solely on the basis of what our military leaders believe to be in the best interest of the defense of America.  We've gone a long way down another road, mostly as a result of political forces.  Time will tell if this is good for the defense of America.  This is, however, an issue where political correctness has very truly silenced much of the legitimate debate of the cost/benefits to our country regarding our policy on who will and won't be allowed to serve.

I......think that debate's already been settled, FB. Like literally about a decade ago.

The issue of women is combat roles is far from settled.  I don't think the Obama administration's policy allowing women to serve in combat roles changed until this year or late last year, not "a decade ago".  And why is it that long-standing conservative policies are always open for review, while liberal policies are always settled, anyway?

Hmmmmm. So Mulan fooled us all, eh? How insidious. I guess I never saw Pence's genius revealed before now.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 12:48:45 AM »
« Edited: July 19, 2016, 12:59:02 AM by Badger »

Whether it is good or bad for women, LGBTs, or anyone else to serve in forward areas in combat, I don't know.  But military service is not a RIGHT; it is a PRIVILEGE that ought to be granted solely on the basis of what our military leaders believe to be in the best interest of the defense of America.  We've gone a long way down another road, mostly as a result of political forces.  Time will tell if this is good for the defense of America.  This is, however, an issue where political correctness has very truly silenced much of the legitimate debate of the cost/benefits to our country regarding our policy on who will and won't be allowed to serve.

The issue of women is combat roles is far from settled.  I don't think the Obama administration's policy allowing women to serve in combat roles changed until this year or late last year, not "a decade ago".  And why is it that long-standing conservative policies are always open for review, while liberal policies are always settled, anyway?

OK, more serious answer: First off, Afghanistan and (especially) Iraq put these questions to bed on the ground a lot quicker than the Pentagon and Washington were ready to acknowledge. The lack of a stable "front line" and the "non-combat" roles women were permitted to do including piloting APC's and attack copters (under officially limited, but practically nearly as dangerous conditions) led to women being involved in firefights, including being wounded and killed in combat. A significant number of women have been in active combat roles for much of the last decade.

As far as why liberal social policies aren't reversed, I suppose it's because by the time they're finally enacted into law tradition-minded conservatives have fought such progress until support for change was widespread enough that it wasn't ever likely going back. Slavery, women's sufferage, the right to organize and unionize, getting the vote for minorities, ending Jim Crow, expanding rights to employment and other opportunities to women, gay rights and marriage, etc.

And not once has the maelstrom social conservatives predicted would inevitably come to pass ever appear. So I guess never being right in the eyes of history has something to do with it too.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies