China General Discussion (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 08:10:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  China General Discussion (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: China General Discussion  (Read 18543 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: November 23, 2012, 04:03:20 AM »

I find it fascinating, the discourse over the one child policy is very, very different in China vs. the West. In the West, it is accepted that demographics is destiny, and that China's low birth rate means its future doom as a power. Economist even went so far as to project a date when the Chinese nation will no longer exist due to no Chinese being born. Among Chinese, the view is totally different. It is accepted that China has too many people, and China's problems stem from being a poor country due to its large population. Under this view, China might gradually loosen the one child policy after GDP per capita reaches $10,000 or more, however it will not until then. The focus is more on quality of life rather than number of people. That said, I am opposed to the one child policy myself, but I do find it interesting how differently it is framed.
That may be the case among rightwingers and economists in the Anglophone world, but generally the belief that most of the worlds current problems stems from the Earth being overpopulated is quite widespread in the West. Its dominant in continental Europe.

I don't know that that's inconsistent with what Beet is suggesting.  One can say that a given country will benefit as a world power from keeping its own population growth up, even while the planet as a whole will suffer if world population keeps growing.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 01:42:22 AM »

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2013/06/26/china-riots/2458683/

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies