Swedish general election, 2014 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 05:30:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Swedish general election, 2014 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who is getting/would get your vote?
Social Democrats

Moderates

Greens

Liberal People's Party

Centre Party

Swedish Democrats

Left Party

Christian Democrats

Feminist Initiative

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 61

Author Topic: Swedish general election, 2014  (Read 1394 times)
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« on: September 07, 2014, 07:11:19 AM »

Hmmm... Where does an anti-EU, but non-xenophobic conservative such as myself go in Sweden?

Christian Democrats or Moderates I guess for me. Voted Christian Democrats in the poll.

You cant get the pure eurosceptic/non-xenophobic conservative combo in Sweden, but CD is definitely the most traditionally conservative party. Moderates would be too, well, moderate for you.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 07:08:40 PM »
« Edited: September 07, 2014, 07:12:43 PM by politicus »

Hmmm... Where does an anti-EU, but non-xenophobic conservative such as myself go in Sweden?

Christian Democrats or Moderates I guess for me. Voted Christian Democrats in the poll.

You cant get the pure eurosceptic/non-xenophobic conservative combo in Sweden, but CD is definitely the most traditionally conservative party. Moderates would be too, well, moderate for you.

The Moderates' name from what I've gathered is just a historical anachronism. They're about as right wing as the Tories or the CDU with the only big difference being they don't have a hardline socon faction.

That is completely wrong (especially regarding the Tories). The party has moved left under Reinfeldts leadership and is presently the most centrist of the four centre-right parties.

So the name is actually pretty accurate nowadays.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 12:16:12 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

The Moderates' name from what I've gathered is just a historical anachronism. They're about as right wing as the Tories or the CDU with the only big difference being they don't have a hardline socon faction.

That is completely wrong (especially regarding the Tories). The party has moved left under Reinfeldts leadership and is presently the most centrist of the four centre-right parties.

So the name is actually pretty accurate nowadays.

The name thing is weird though. Before 1970 they were called "Högerpartiet". Then they changed the name to affect the public's perception of them, just before choosing a leader that would move them further to the right (Gösta Bohman).
[/quote]

Yeah, moderate and Gösta Bohman doesn't really belong in the same sentence. I suppose Höger was simply too outdated and old fashioned, so they had to come up with a new more "modern" and non-ideological name, whitout necessarily wanting to change their politics. Presumably moderate was more to sound modern than centrist.

Its strange that the name Høyre survived in Norway, but you have a preference for keeping antiquated but unambiguous and "strong" names such as having newspapers named things like Fedrelandsvennen, Adresseavisen and Klassekampen (and a party called Arbeiderpartiet).
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 04:11:34 PM »

Nobody voting People's Party is a bit strange on a board with so many self-identifying liberals, at least some moderate Democrats should be attracted to it.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies