1998 was not the hottest year in US history. It was 1934. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 12:18:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  1998 was not the hottest year in US history. It was 1934. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1998 was not the hottest year in US history. It was 1934.  (Read 9392 times)
CultureKing
United States

« on: August 12, 2007, 03:58:03 PM »

wow, some people just cant accept scientific consensus and the facts.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 06:12:36 PM »

wow, some people just cant accept scientific consensus and the facts.

The graph I showed comes not from me but from NASA. I assume you accept them as a reliable source. Bear in mind that they recently changed the graph to correct errors which were pointed out to them.

The claim is made by the global warming crowd that only the increase in CO2 could account for the current warm weather. OK then what caused the warm weather in the early 30s? The temperatures then were comparable to today's but the CO2 level was much lower.
CO2 did not cause it, so it had to be something else. Is it possible that the "something else is also causing the current warm weather?

Understand that the data in that graph was behind much of the scientific consensus you speak of. Now if the data changes, does it not follow that the conclusions might change?

You need to understand one thing, it is called GLOBAL warming, not US warming. While specific years in certain regions may buck the trend, overall the temperature of the planet have gone up.
Go here to see how NASA (your source), proves that fact:
http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/graphs/

Look at the picture as a whole, the US isn't the only country in the world and the weather here isn't representative of the planet.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 10:15:37 PM »

The issue I raise is what I said in my second post:

"In my opinion the global data should also be carefully examined to see if it was created using the same techniques that created the erroneous US Data."

Was the same methodology used to generate the global data as the US Data? If so it could end up looking the same as the US data once it is corrected. I see that the global data says it was updated today but it does not say if any such corrections were applied. They don't just use the raw data. They "massage it" to account for heat island effect, missing data and some other factors. It was the massaging part that was in error in the US data. So the question is; was the global data developed the same way?

The fact that hundreds of different models have been done (in addition to the NASA world model) and all point towards a rising temperature should be enough for you. These are the facts and they are the best that we have to go off of, also even if one year in particular may be hotter than the next few years it could just be an anomily in a trend of gradually warming temperatures. The key is to look at the overall picture.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 11:24:29 PM »

We have been told in apocalyptic terms that 1998 was the hottest year on record and evidence that global warming is caused by us. We're all doomed.! Well dammit it was not the hottest year. And 1934 became the hottest without the high CO2 levels of today.

The importance of US weather data can be seen from this map of worldwide weather stations.
http://www.sailwx.info/wxobs/stationpick.phtml

We have way more than anyone else. Possibly that makes our data more accurate.

GLOBAL warming, your data proves absolutely nothing, you need to look at the global picture.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies