Cruz will be the nominee. Prove me wrong. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 07:32:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Cruz will be the nominee. Prove me wrong. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Cruz will be the nominee. Prove me wrong.  (Read 2620 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: March 31, 2016, 10:02:16 PM »

If after California and other early June states have voted, Trump is short of 1237 pledged delegates, but not by much, he could still end up with a delegate majority on the first ballot by picking up some of the unpledged delegates.  He doesn't have to win *all* of them.  In fact, he probably doesn't have to win a majority of them.  It depends on the exact numbers.

So, that's the question.  How many unpledged delegates will he need to pick up in order to win on the first ballot, and how many of them will be pre-disposed to supporting him?  Even if he's not their first choice, how many of them will be swayed by his "I got a plurality, so you have to nominate me or it's undemocratic" argument?  Many of them won't be swayed by that, some of them will.  I don't know what the number will be.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 01:46:28 AM »

If Trump goes into the convention with say around 1150 delegates and Cruz with around 900 and they give the nomination to Cruz, wouldn't that cause anarchy and a meltdown at the convention?

Not if most of the delegates pledged to Trump are actually supporters of Cruz.  Tongue
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies