Washington state megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 05:45:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Washington state megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 217 218 219 220 221 [222] 223 224 225 226 227 ... 253
Author Topic: Washington state megathread  (Read 855485 times)
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5525 on: May 03, 2018, 09:20:07 PM »

Lol. Seattle Times I presume?
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5526 on: May 03, 2018, 11:21:12 PM »

See the upper right hand corner.

Who else will speak out for Seattle's business community?!?
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5527 on: May 04, 2018, 08:53:57 AM »

See the upper right hand corner.

Who else will speak out for Seattle's business community?!?

Ah I missed that, but who else would it have been.

I’m honestly quite ambivalent about the “head tax,” don’t think it’s an efficient approach (we should just do an income tax or, if we want to be really innovative, a Georgist land tax), but this cartoon is wayyyyyy way way over the top.
Seattle
United States

« Reply #5528 on: May 04, 2018, 09:25:22 AM »

This whole saga renews my rage... at Seattle's absurd zoning.
The homelessness crisis would be so much more manageable if this city stopped treating the vast majority of its mass as a sanctuary for the endangered single family home.

Plus, Id love to see the pursed face of some Laurelhurst wine mom as a triplex goes up next to her "character" home.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5529 on: May 04, 2018, 09:33:33 AM »

This whole saga renews my rage... at Seattle's absurd zoning.
The homelessness crisis would be so much more manageable if this city stopped treating the vast majority of its mass as a sanctuary for the endangered single family home.

Plus, Id love to see the pursed face of some Laurelhurst wine mom as a triplex goes up next to her "character" home.

Yes, thank you!!! It’s the homeowners not the employers causing this crisis.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5530 on: May 14, 2018, 10:28:07 AM »

Filing in WA opens today. Interested in any nuggets about WA legislative races anyone has.

And man is this thread going to feel empty without publicunofficial Sad
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5531 on: May 14, 2018, 12:48:45 PM »

Found something! From the Seattle Times (rag):

Granted I’m skeptical that Democrats come within sniffing distance of any of these districts save for the 25th, which are a ripe target with (apparently) 2 vacancies.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/state-democrats-eager-to-compete-for-legislative-seats-long-controlled-by-gop/?utm_source=referral&utm_medium=mobile-app&utm_campaign=ios
Seattle
United States

« Reply #5532 on: May 14, 2018, 11:14:30 PM »

Did publicunofficial get banned?

Didn't realize Joyce McDonald is retiring. The 25th is a rare 2x Obama suburban seat that Trump won.

Kind of frustrating that Times article doesn't actually spell out the retirements. Couldn't find any other details searching google on my phone.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5533 on: May 14, 2018, 11:28:52 PM »

Did publicunofficial get banned?

Didn't realize Joyce McDonald is retiring. The 25th is a rare 2x Obama suburban seat that Trump won.

Kind of frustrating that Times article doesn't actually spell out the retirements. Couldn't find any other details searching google on my phone.

He did get banned, the reasons should be detailed under the Recent Bans megathread.

I’m sure the SOS site should have everything once filing closes Friday, though that’s not a good way to weed out who is and isn’t a serious candidate.
Seattle
United States

« Reply #5534 on: May 15, 2018, 07:06:44 PM »
« Edited: May 15, 2018, 07:11:02 PM by Seattle »

Whaaaat... In addition to GoodSpaceGuy running for senate, Rocky de la Fuente is as well. Ironically, Cantwell has yet to file her paperwork (lol).

Cantwell is going to win 65-35 at this rate, if this is all the GOP has to offer:
http://bryantforussenate.com/
http://higgins4senate.com/index.html
https://keithswankforsenate.com/
Seattle
United States

« Reply #5535 on: May 18, 2018, 09:19:52 PM »

Filing deadline has closed.

30 (!!) candidates filed to run for the senate race That's going to be one hell of a ballot.
As mentioned before, Rocky de la Fuente is running, make it 3 (?, CA, FL, and WA) states he's filed in... how is that legal?

In addition, GoodSpaceGuy (perennial nutty candidate), Alex Tsimerman (nut job wacko who was banned from Seattle city hall for being physically disruptive), and Susan Hutchinson (former TV anchor and most likely opponent) filed.

Other notes:

WA-4 will have a D-R contest for the first time since 2012. Only Newhouse (R) and Christine Brown (D) filed.

WA-9 may see a D-D, Smith-Smith contest between Adam and Sarah, if she can get more votes than perennial candidate Doug Basler (R) in the primary.

LD-5 Pos 1: Chad Magendanz is trying to get back into the House after losing to Senator Mark Mullet in 2016.
LD-26 Senate: Jan Angel (R) last minute retires, Marty McClendon (R, on the Pierce County Commission) to face likely D challenger Emily Randall. Very good D pick up opportunity in a district Trump/Clinton tied in.
LD-30 Pos. 2: Mike Pellicciotti (D) is being re-challenged by Linda Kochmar (R) who he unseated in 2016.
LD-34 Senate: A true clowncar in the making. This open seat features like 6 Ds, most notably, Shannon Braddock who in 2015 lost by 39 votes to current Seattle city councilmember Lisa Herbold. Freshly defeated former Burien Councilmember and Trump-supporting "Independent" Debi Wagner is running, as well as Her friend, Darla Green (R), who lost in a landslide to liberal Burien councilmember Nancy Tosta are also running. This is Icespear's new district.
LD-35 Senate: This looks like a repeat of 2016's D-D runoff between Tim Sheldon (DINO) and Irene Bowling (D).
LD-48 Senate: Rodney Tom (DINO) is back and trying to unseat Patty Kuderer (D)

Unchallenged by major party districts:

LD-2 Pos. 2: J.T. Wilcox (R) unchallenged
LD-11 Pos. 1 and 2: Both Zack Hudgins (D) and Steve Bergquist (D) are unchallenged
LD-13 Senate: Judy Warnick (R) unchallenged
LD-22 Pos. 1 and 2: Laurie Dolan (D) and Beth Doglio (D) face Independent/Libertarian, no Rs on ballot
LD-23 Pos. 1 and 2: Sherry Appleton (D) faces a "No party preference" candidate, Drew Hansen (D) is unchallenged, no Rs on ballot
LD-27 Pos. 2: Donald Golden (D) faces an independent, no R on ballot
LD-29 Senate and Pos. 2: Steve Conway (D) faces an independent, no R on ballot, Steve Kirby (D) is unchallenged
LD-33 Pos. 1: Tina Orwall (D) is unchallenged
LD-34 Pos. 1 and 2: Eileen Cody (D) and Joe Fitzgibbon (D) are unchallenged
LD-36 Senate, Pos. 1, and 2: Reuven Carlyle (D), Noel Frame (D), and Gael Tarleton (D). No Rs running here, but the Libertarian Party has put up a full slate!
LD-37 Pos. 1 and 2: Sharon Tomiko Santos (D) goes unchallenged, Eric Pettigrew (D) faces either a no party or independent, no Rs on ballot
LD-38 Pos. 1 and 2: June Robinson (D) will face an independent party cadidate, Mike Sells (D) is unchallenged, no Rs on ballot
LD-40 Pos. 2: Jeff Morris (D) is unchallenged
LD-48 Pos. 1 and 2: Vandana Slater (D) is unchallenged, Amy Walen (D), mayor of Kirkland faces fellow D, Cindi Bright
LD-49 Pos. 1 and 2: Sharon Wylie (D) and Monica Stonier (D) are unchallenged

Ds did a fantastic job, putting up candidates in all but one Senate and House position. Rs.... not so much.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5536 on: May 18, 2018, 10:12:00 PM »

Thanks for the rundown!

Why is Sharon Nelson retiring?
Seattle
United States

« Reply #5537 on: May 19, 2018, 04:05:45 PM »

And importantly, who will succeed her as Majority Leader?

This was from the ST article I found:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Also, why Joe Fain (R) has held on in +20 Clinton district:

KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5538 on: May 19, 2018, 06:45:16 PM »

And importantly, who will succeed her as Majority Leader?

This was from the ST article I found:

Also, why Joe Fain (R) has held on in +20 Clinton district:

I would not be surprised if he held on this fall, and I wouldn’t be surprised if he lost. He’s an underrated talent in such hostile territory
Seattle
United States

« Reply #5539 on: May 20, 2018, 12:11:39 AM »
« Edited: May 20, 2018, 12:21:58 AM by Seattle »

He's got a seemingly strong challenger, but if there's a suburban R survivor, I think it's him. The R holding one of the House positions is probably on track to lose. A correction, LD-47 is only Clinton +16.
Milloscia is going to be eviscerated in LD-30, which is Clinton +21.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5540 on: May 31, 2018, 09:11:59 AM »

King County DA Dan Satterberg is a Democrat now.

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/389852-seattle-area-prosecutor-an-elected-republican-flips-to-democratic-party
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5541 on: June 01, 2018, 12:31:10 PM »

The approval numbers for The Donald in Washington:

https://www.nwprogressive.org/weblog/2018/05/no-surprise-npi-poll-finds-washingtonians-dont-like-donald-trumps-job-performance.html
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
« Reply #5542 on: June 30, 2018, 08:00:29 PM »

Does anyone have any updates on the WA-8 race? The candidates seem remarkably similar and I'm concerned that the Democrats are not running a strong campaign against Rossi, but since I no longer live there I'm curious what things are like on the ground.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5543 on: June 30, 2018, 08:05:19 PM »

Does anyone have any updates on the WA-8 race? The candidates seem remarkably similar and I'm concerned that the Democrats are not running a strong campaign against Rossi, but since I no longer live there I'm curious what things are like on the ground.

I prefer Rittereiser but both him and Schrier are probably about even. The national environment makes this a Tossup ImO, Rossi is really strong
wesmoorenerd
westroopnerd
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.13

« Reply #5544 on: July 01, 2018, 06:05:31 AM »

I prefer Rittereiser but both him and Schrier are probably about even. The national environment makes this a Tossup ImO, Rossi is really strong

Yeah, it's bizarre. Rossi is one of the few serious recruiting bright spots for Republicans this cycle, which says a lot considering his electoral history isn't all that superb. Rittereiser's probably my top pick but at the same time he's probably the weakest GE candidate. Schrier and Hader would both be pretty good as well however. Ultimately, I bet Schrier makes the GE.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5545 on: July 01, 2018, 08:35:42 AM »

Yeah, it's bizarre. Rossi is one of the few serious recruiting bright spots for Republicans this cycle, which says a lot considering his electoral history isn't all that superb. Rittereiser's probably my top pick but at the same time he's probably the weakest GE candidate. Schrier and Hader would both be pretty good as well however. Ultimately, I bet Schrier makes the GE.

Disagree - Rittereiser is the only candidate from East of the Cascades. Seeing as Rossi’s Home and base is in the part of the 8th Democrats need to run the score up in (Issaquah/Sammamish area) I think having someone who can eat into reflexively GOP areas in Kittitas and Chelan is important
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5546 on: July 23, 2018, 10:33:08 AM »

Just sent in my ballot - voted for all the Democrat incumbents. Nothing exciting going on this year in my neck of the woods
Seattle
United States

« Reply #5547 on: July 23, 2018, 08:05:24 PM »

Wtf is wrong with some of the og suburban whites in Burien??
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/attack-on-burien-mayor-over-citys-sanctuary-city-policy-investigated-as-hate-crime/

It was very satisfying to see all the cretin MAGA challengers and incumbents defeated last November, but it’s disgusting to see continued anti-Latinx behavior from members of the Burien community.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5548 on: July 23, 2018, 09:12:33 PM »

Wtf is wrong with some of the og suburban whites in Burien??
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/attack-on-burien-mayor-over-citys-sanctuary-city-policy-investigated-as-hate-crime/

It was very satisfying to see all the cretin MAGA challengers and incumbents defeated last November, but it’s disgusting to see continued anti-Latinx behavior from members of the Burien community.

That’s really too bad. Burien is probably the most successful inner suburb in revitalizing the last few years, too. My in-laws love going there (and they’re very conservative)
Alaska2392
NRS11
Rookie
United States

« Reply #5549 on: July 23, 2018, 11:54:26 PM »
« Edited: July 23, 2018, 11:57:34 PM by NRS11 »

Just sent in my ballot - voted for all the Democrat incumbents. Nothing exciting going on this year in my neck of the woods

Same here.  When you live in a LD in the heart of Seattle there are never competitive races.

That said, the sheer number of candidates running for Senate is phenomenal. 29 in total if I counted correctly.

First year where ballot postage is prepaid (i.e. no stamp required).  It is just so convenient that Kim Wyman supports this idea but just happens to think it would be more feasible to implement once it is an off-year election.

Seattle Times honest to god endorsed Rodney Tom for the primary in the State Senate primary for the 48th LD.   Because the past divided government was so successful...   I am hoping that Paddy (D) can hold him off.  Third independent candidate in that race is a one-issue candidate that opposes light rail building to the Eastside. Can assume that most of his voters would go to Tom in the general.

Are there any suburban Seattle pickup opportunities for Dems anywhere?

P.S. Went to Mason County this past weekend and Tim Sheldon signs everywhere.  Really had to resist the urge not to speed past them.

-
Pages: 1 ... 217 218 219 220 221 [222] 223 224 225 226 227 ... 253  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies