SB 115-27 Reactionary Laws Repeal Act, Number One (Failed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 06:35:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SB 115-27 Reactionary Laws Repeal Act, Number One (Failed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: SB 115-27 Reactionary Laws Repeal Act, Number One (Failed)  (Read 1856 times)
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2023, 03:11:10 AM »

Laki amendment passes 4-3-0-10

WM amendment vote has been initiated
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2023, 05:53:13 AM »

Aye
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2023, 05:55:09 AM »

Nay
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 1.22

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2023, 07:24:17 AM »

Aye
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2023, 09:26:24 AM »

Nay
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2023, 12:58:18 PM »

Aye
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2023, 03:50:52 PM »

Nay
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2023, 01:44:58 AM »

Nay
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2023, 05:04:34 AM »

I believe it is virtual signaling to pragmatically fly the LGBT flag in pro-LGBT countries, and not in anti-LGBT countries. I'm LGBT but the State Department should not delve into domestic policy.

Incorrect, it is part of foreign policy.

It shows other nations that the Republic of Atlasia respects human rights and that we're a nation that embrace the freedom to be whoever you want to be and that's a very important message we must carry, in particularly too when engaging in diplomacy with other nations. I'd rather use diplomacy to spread our values, not military conflict.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2023, 06:41:30 AM »

I believe it is virtual signaling to pragmatically fly the LGBT flag in pro-LGBT countries, and not in anti-LGBT countries. I'm LGBT but the State Department should not delve into domestic policy.

Incorrect, it is part of foreign policy.

It shows other nations that the Republic of Atlasia respects human rights and that we're a nation that embrace the freedom to be whoever you want to be and that's a very important message we must carry, in particularly too when engaging in diplomacy with other nations. I'd rather use diplomacy to spread our values, not military conflict.

You did not address my claim. It's hypocritical to say we're pro-LGBT only in countries that share the same stance. I also never said, "let's go to war instead of flying that flag!"
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2023, 06:51:20 AM »

Flying the LGBT flag or any other non-national flag abroad, furthermore, has an extremely limited domestic policy effect in the country where the flag is flown but has no effect whatsoever on Atlasian diplomacy, which you suggest it does. How does flying a non-national flag for our embassy specifically encourage diplomacy, i.e., improve Atlasian relations with the country where the embassy is located, Laki?
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2023, 07:41:50 AM »

Flying the LGBT flag or any other non-national flag abroad, furthermore, has an extremely limited domestic policy effect in the country where the flag is flown but has no effect whatsoever on Atlasian diplomacy, which you suggest it does. How does flying a non-national flag for our embassy specifically encourage diplomacy, i.e., improve Atlasian relations with the country where the embassy is located, Laki?

The answer is very simple.

Countries who forbid embassies to fly a non-national flag, representative of the values our country believes in, are countries where the Republic of Atlasia shall not have an embassy in, and countries we should not have or pursue further diplomatic relations with.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2023, 07:50:19 AM »

Countries who forbid embassies to fly a non-national flag, representative of the values our country believes in, are countries where the Republic of Atlasia shall not have an embassy in, and countries we should not have or pursue further diplomatic relations with.

We could fly a non-national flag in the Middle East, for example, if we wanted, but the RL State Department does not out of convenience/pragmatism. Given the state of LGBT rights across the world, furthermore, it is not in the best interests of the nation to simply ignore the many countries with poor LGBT policies.

For reference, the orange countries are where people are jailed or executed for same-sex relations.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2023, 09:24:44 AM »
« Edited: May 28, 2023, 09:28:46 AM by Senator Laki 🇧🇪❤️🇺🇦 »

We could fly a non-national flag in the Middle East, for example, if we wanted, but the RL State Department does not out of convenience/pragmatism. Given the state of LGBT rights across the world, furthermore, it is not in the best interests of the nation to simply ignore the many countries with poor LGBT policies.

For reference, the orange countries are where people are jailed or executed for same-sex relations.

I just want to note that repealing the Embassy Neutrality Act suddenly doesn't mean that we're obligated to fly LGBTQ flags. The Embassy Neutrality Act however bans it - even if the country where an LGBTQ flag would fly would have no objections to it. It is a rigid and restrictive act that goes against values of freedom, and therefore I want to repeal it.

Nations where people are executed for same sex relations imo are also not nations the Republic of Atlasia should have an embassy in, which on your image is (red-coloured nations such as Iran and Afghanistan).

If people working at the embassy or the government (the state department) still believe flying a certain flag is not to be encouraged, there are other ways to do that. There is no reason to by law restrict what flags cannot be used - or more accurately restrict what flags are allowed to fly at an embassy. Moreover i just don't think it should be the authority of legislators, if as you say the State Department does not out of convenience and pragmatism, than I trust them fully to make that decision theirselves.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2023, 11:29:54 AM »

Nations where people are executed for same sex relations imo are also not nations the Republic of Atlasia should have an embassy in, which on your image is (red-coloured nations such as Iran and Afghanistan).

BRB writing a story about Atlasia pulling its embassy out of Malaysia after the inevitable PAS landslide in 2025!

I would never assume "the State Department" is a monolith making these decisions since at the end of the day it is the staff onsite in 200 different nations who will be choosing pretty much at whim whether to fly a flag of whatever variety. I had my qualms about the law as demonstrated by my signing statement at the time, but it eliminated that potential for uncertainty.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2023, 11:30:52 AM »

Also, Aye on the WM amendment.
Senator Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2023, 12:41:42 AM »

Nay
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2023, 02:01:36 PM »

AYE
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2023, 02:46:14 PM »

WM amendment is tied 5-5-0-8. The Vice President shall break the tie.
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2023, 02:42:04 PM »

Nay
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2023, 04:43:03 PM »

The amendment is rejected. Debate resumes.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2023, 02:41:35 AM »

Motion for a final vote
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2023, 11:26:09 AM »

A final vote will open in 24 hours, barring objections.

Quote from: Current Text
SENATE BILL
To repeal laws that do not represent the values of our great nation
Be it enacted in the Senate of Atlasia
Section 1; Title
1. This Act may be cited as the 'Reactionary Laws Repeal Act, Number One'
Section 2; Substance
1. The Embassy Neutrality Act is hereby repealed in its entirety.
2. The Driving For Two Act is hereby repealed in its entirety.
3. Lanes being restricted to cars transporting two (2) or more persons will hereby be banned and be made available for all cars or be restricted to public transport (busses, taxis, carpooling, etc.) and HOV.
Section 3; Implementation
1. All provisions of this legislation shall come into effect immediately upon passage into law.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2023, 10:51:33 PM »

Final vote is open. Senators, please vote aye, nay, or abstain.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2023, 10:51:56 PM »

nay
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to: