SB 115-27 Reactionary Laws Repeal Act, Number One (Failed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 05:23:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SB 115-27 Reactionary Laws Repeal Act, Number One (Failed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: SB 115-27 Reactionary Laws Repeal Act, Number One (Failed)  (Read 1850 times)
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 22, 2023, 12:38:33 PM »
« edited: June 21, 2023, 01:04:56 PM by Laki 🇧🇪❤️🇺🇦 »

SENATE BILL
To repeal laws that do not represent the values of our great nation
Be it enacted in the Senate of Atlasia
Section 1; Title
1. This Act may be cited as the 'Reactionary Laws Repeal Act, Number One'
Section 2; Substance
1. The Embassy Neutrality Act is hereby repealed in its entirety.
2. The Driving For Two Act is hereby repealed in its entirety.
Section 3; Implementation
1. All provisions of this legislation shall come into effect immediately upon passage into law.

Sponsor: Pericles
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2023, 12:40:06 PM »

We are talking about the following 2 acts here

Senate Bill
To restrict embassy's displaying of flags and other purposes

Be it enacted in the Atlasian Senate Assembled,

EMBASSY NEUTRALITY ACT

1. No flag shall be displayed by the government of Atlasia, or any officer or employee thereof upon the exterior property of any Atlasian embassy or consulate other than the Atlasian flag, the flag of any Region, the NATO flag, or the POW-MIA Flag, nor shall any federal funding be expended for the purchase, acquisition, or display of any such prohibited flag upon such embassy or consulate.

2. This act shall take effect immediately.

Passed 9-5-0-4 in the Atlasian Senate assembled,

- R, PPT

DRIVING FOR TWO ACT

1. On any federal highway, bridge, or other road project that utilizes high occupancy vehicle (HOV) lanes, wherein certain lanes are restricted to use by cars transporting two (2) or more persons, or on any HOV lane established as part of a federal control plan for an NAAQS pollutant, pregnant mothers shall be considered to be two (2) or more persons.

2. This act shall take effect immediately.

Passed 6-5-1-6 in the Atlasian Senate Assembled.

- R, PPT
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2023, 02:46:44 PM »
« Edited: May 22, 2023, 02:53:24 PM by Senator Laki 🇧🇪❤️🇺🇦 »

I personally don't think the two here are super controversial, though in a subtle way i can see what the issue is with both of them.

Embassy Neutrality Act is somewhat of a restrictive act that sets by code what flags can be used. I suppose it's better to indicate what flags would be prohibited (Confederacy Flag, flags reference the Nazi's or flags with a hammer and sickle symbols). But I personally it's restrictive because it for instance bans the UN flag or a transgender/lgbtq/rainbow flag and numerous other flags. And we are talking about embassies, i suppose if you want good relations with nations that at an embassy you need both the Atlasian flag and the flag of that nation. That seems common sense to me?

Driving for Two Act, is very subtle but the act basically is a subtle way of pandering to pro-life folks by considering the baby inside the mother alive. It's also a preferential sort of treatment and in that kind of sense affirmative action or pro-discriminating. And most importantly, it goes against privacy ethics, because to apply for "driving for two act", you basically have to say whether you're pregnant or not. It makes no distinction between pregnant mothers that have an 8 month carrying child or a pregnant mother that has a 2 month old baby in their bellies. It makes not clear whether it applies to all pregnant mothers, or if it retro-actively applies in case one wants to contest a fine/ticket and finds out later they are pregnant or argue they are (likely) pregnant but is being dismissed by an officer because they cannot show proof.

Initially i thought we were talking about women who needed this preferential treatment because they would give birth (in that case yes please use the emergency lanes), but for a four month mother for instance, that's absolutely not necessary, and it doesn't seem like it was the intent of the act either.

More importantly, if all pregnant mothers are considered high occupancy vehicles (HOV) you might condense these lanes as well, rendering the purpose of HOV lanes useless. And that is very concerning as well.

Because of the following concerns, i am in favour of repeal of those two acts.

certain lanes are restricted to use by cars transporting two (2) or more persons

I think though this should be repealed as well, so i might add an amendment that would ban these lanes as well.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2023, 02:55:08 PM »

SENATE BILL
Section 1; Title
Section 2; Substance
2. The Driving For Two Act is hereby repealed in its entirety.
3. Lanes being restricted to cars transporting two (2) or more persons will hereby be banned and be made available for all cars or be restricted to public transport (busses, taxis, carpooling, etc.) and HOV.
1. All provisions of this legislation shall come into effect immediately upon passage into law.

Proposing amendment
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2023, 05:24:49 PM »

Embassy Neutrality Act is somewhat of a restrictive act that sets by code what flags can be used. I suppose it's better to indicate what flags would be prohibited (Confederacy Flag, flags reference the Nazi's or flags with a hammer and sickle symbols). But I personally it's restrictive because it for instance bans the UN flag or a transgender/lgbtq/rainbow flag and numerous other flags. And we are talking about embassies, i suppose if you want good relations with nations that at an embassy you need both the Atlasian flag and the flag of that nation. That seems common sense to me?

Also worth noting an extremely similar bill was floated by the irl GOP.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2023, 05:32:35 PM »

I object
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2023, 05:47:17 PM »

Objection noted.

A vote on the Laki amendment is started. Senators, please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2023, 05:47:33 PM »

Aye
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2023, 05:51:22 PM »

The Embassy Neutrality Act is ridiculous-we should be able to display support for causes important to the nation like Black Lives Matter or LGBT rights, or in real life we should be able to fly the Ukrainian flag in support of our non-NATO allies.

The carpooling legislation is far-right virtue signalling that got written into law.

This kind of legislation should not be on the books, it is embarassing and unserious.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd prefer not to deal with the existence of carpooling lanes in this bill, but if the Senate wants to then a debate would be appropriate.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2023, 05:51:29 PM »

While I don't expect you to change your own views on the subject matters at hand, but you should be advised that you are playing right into their hands.

This is exactly why they are keeping these seats filled-inactive/unfilled. There hope and objective is to facilitate a massive shift toward the left legislatively, undoing Rs own recent successes and thereby use that to discourage people from playing Atlasia
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2023, 05:56:19 PM »

There hope and objective is to facilitate a massive shift toward the left legislatively, undoing Rs own recent successes and thereby use that to discourage people from playing Atlasia

I understand what you mean but it's not like they're going to come back like ever / encourage people from playing Atlasia again (regardless of what the left does legislatively).

This was also proposed on the floor in march, just wasn't introduced yet because the queue was packed.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2023, 05:59:08 PM »

Nay
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2023, 08:14:14 PM »

Nay on the amendment
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2023, 08:26:25 PM »

While I don't expect you to change your own views on the subject matters at hand, but you should be advised that you are playing right into their hands.

This is exactly why they are keeping these seats filled-inactive/unfilled. There hope and objective is to facilitate a massive shift toward the left legislatively, undoing Rs own recent successes and thereby use that to discourage people from playing Atlasia

I am not going to ask people to vote for this because of thoughts on Mr Reactionary's conduct. I opposed his bad bills at the time and will keep on proposing to improve our laws. If the public now think the content of the bills is bad too, that's good with me.

I do think the appeasement approach is not going to work, so we should respect the opinions of SNP members but not be dictated to by them.
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2023, 08:38:49 PM »

Aye on the amendment
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2023, 08:40:40 PM »

Aye
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2023, 08:59:00 PM »

Nay
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2023, 09:08:13 PM »

I do think the appeasement approach is not going to work, so we should respect the opinions of SNP members but not be dictated to by them.

Where in the hell have I endorsed an "appeasement approach"? Its not like I sued them and won or anything. Roll Eyes
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 1.22

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2023, 02:51:50 PM »

Present. What's the purpose of the amendment?
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 1.22

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2023, 02:54:26 PM »

I believe it is virtual signaling to pragmatically fly the LGBT flag in pro-LGBT countries, and not in anti-LGBT countries. I'm LGBT but the State Department should not delve into domestic policy.

Amendment.

SENATE BILL
Section 1; Title
Section 2; Substance
1. 2. The Driving For Two Act is hereby repealed in its entirety.

Sponsor: Pericles
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2023, 03:14:47 PM »

Where in the hell have I endorsed an "appeasement approach"? Its not like I sued them and won or anything. Roll Eyes

What they want is for Atlasia to go full commie in their absence, so conservatives will quit playing atlasia or refuse to join it in the future, and OSR can say "see, without Mr. R, you guys are powerless".

Its even openly stated and admitted.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2023, 03:25:27 PM »

Objecting to WM's amendment.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2023, 12:02:15 AM »

The WM amendment will be up for a vote after the current one closes.
Oleg 🇰🇿🤝🇺🇦
Oleg
Kazakhstan

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2023, 01:30:30 AM »

What they want is for Atlasia to go full commie in their absence, so conservatives will quit playing atlasia or refuse to join it in the future, and OSR can say "see, without Mr. R, you guys are powerless".

Its even openly stated and admitted.
Why not give conservatives a small far Conserveland so that everyone in this world can be in whatever wing they want?
Senator Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2023, 11:35:09 AM »

Aye
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length