Republicans and Libertarians -a health care question.... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 04:25:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Republicans and Libertarians -a health care question.... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Republicans and Libertarians -a health care question....  (Read 833 times)
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« on: May 01, 2012, 06:01:03 PM »

You can't ensure that everyone will always be covered, even in a universal system. People will always find a way to opt out of the system. So with that in mind, I accept that as a fact and subsequently come to the conclusion that the only way to keep prices down, quality of care up and access to care up is by letting the free market handle the issue.

Just my opinion, though.
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 05:31:25 AM »

Because the market might encourage competition and COULD force down costs that way... you also have competing pressures to keep costs down by not covering people who would cost too much to cover. Look at airlines? more people want to fly, but in order to cover costs the quality of service drops and the inclusions become fewer.

Plus, healthcare is an essential service, if people need it and are able to pay, they will be the ones who will benefit. What real desire will there be to reduce costs on a service that people need as oppose to want.

It's kind of amusing how quickly they'll accept lies about the standard of care we in universal system get, but are unable to accept the shortcomings in their own standards.

Ghost_white made the point about airlines.

As dead0man said, I'm not totally opposed to the idea of universal healthcare. I believe it's noble and perhaps the government should only insure the poorest citizens of the country, while others can opt in to the system. Just so long as there's an "opt out" option.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies