Clinton VP news LATEST: Podesta now calling the losers to tell them its not them (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 08:30:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Clinton VP news LATEST: Podesta now calling the losers to tell them its not them (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Clinton VP news LATEST: Podesta now calling the losers to tell them its not them  (Read 181451 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: May 04, 2016, 11:44:26 PM »

“A senior Trump campaign source” says that the early favorites are Martinez, Haley, and Portman:

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/05/04/politics/donald-trump-vice-president-search/

The only problem with that is that, as the story notes, all three of them have ruled it out.  Martinez says she’s not even sure if she’ll vote for Trump, let alone agree to appear on the same stage as him:

http://kfoxtv.com/news/local/nm-governor-says-she-isnt-interested-in-serving-as-vice-president

I have trouble seeing Portman be picked as that'd probably toss a competitive senate race. Though the Ohio GOP does have a deep bench, I think whoever got picked to go up against Strickland with Trump at the top of the ticket, and lacking Portman's incumbency and vaguely moderate image, would have a hard row to hoe.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 12:40:22 AM »

Trump should pick Bernie.  Make it an outsiders vs. insiders election.   He'll lose half the Republican party but he could get away with "it's not the policy that matters, it's that we're the only two politicians willing to take on a corrupt, rigged system."  All the Bernie Bros. would come over and he'd win a lot of angry moderates as well.  It would throw the election into total chaos.  Bernie is selfish enough that he might accept.  Anything for "the message", right?

Roll Eyes
See, this is why the bad post thread is named for you.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 12:48:48 AM »

I think Trump should pick former Texas Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchinson. She would be a decent choice. She would appeal to the grassroots conservatives and the GOP-E. (GOP establishment)

Dude. She's been out of office for over 15 years, and her last electoral race was to lose a primary to Rick "oops" Perry. She wouldn't have a shot at running statewide in Texas anymore.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 07:22:24 PM »

I think Trump should pick former Texas Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchinson. She would be a decent choice. She would appeal to the grassroots conservatives and the GOP-E. (GOP establishment)

Dude. She's been out of office for over 15 years, and her last electoral race was to lose a primary to Rick "oops" Perry. She wouldn't have a shot at running statewide in Texas anymore.

3, not 15.

You're right. My bad.

Still, she's something of a has been for serious consideration.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 08:06:38 PM »

3, not 15.

You're right. My bad.

Still, she's something of a has been for serious consideration.
And Gingrich isn't a has-been?  Hahahahaha.

Somewhat, though he has much much more national exposure from his time as speaker than Hutchinson ever did--though obviously much of it bad--and did reasonably well in the 2012 race for a guy that hadn't held office in over a dozen years.

But don't get me wrong: Gingrich would suck too. Just for very different reasons. Tongue
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2016, 11:57:41 PM »

wat TF is more like it.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2016, 09:17:26 AM »

I think Ron Wyden or Al Franken would be good picks to unite he party, and both are pretty close to perfect in terms of countering Trump. They aren't exactly risky picks, either.

Al Franken isn't a risky pick?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2016, 07:42:01 AM »

Bromance is officially over. As is Gingrich's chance for the Veep nom.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2016, 10:39:28 PM »

ya, but notsohard, he had like two different responses.. Sessions, Ernst, Corker, top 3. Jesus Christ how dysfunctional is this year?

If its Elizabeth Warren vs. Sessions, Ernst, or Corker? Oh lordy lord lord its going to be a bloodbath and an all female team on its way to the WH.

Corker really doesn't deserve to be lumped in with those other two. Not by a long shot.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2016, 10:21:50 AM »

I now believe Trump is likely to pick either Jeff Sessions or Scott Brown.  Neither would help him win over any key demographics or states, but do running mates ever really help much in those respects anyway?  Trump might just need someone who would be loyal to him, has legislative experience, and agrees with him on most issues.  I think they both fit that bill.

Very good point. I think Scott Brown would be the best.

Trump already has issues with social conservatives. disstrusting him and possibly not turning out. adding a pro-choice, pro-gay marriage, general social liberal to the tticket would be toxic and probably spark a convention fight. Sessions does the exact opposite, plus has a tad more gravitas from multiple terms in the Senate compared to Brown's half-term.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2016, 12:39:20 PM »

aka the Ayn Rand jerk off club
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2016, 04:43:02 PM »

Ernst has to be the dumbest choice Trump could make. Someone who's been a Senator for barely a year and a half, come on. If you really wanted a female nominee, I'd go with Mary Fallin. Can't pick Susana Martinez like everybody thought, because Trump already insulted her.

But it's the same reason I'm not keen on Cory Booker either. While she's vetting all the other candidates, I still think she'll pick Tim Kaine.

Here is a statement from Ernst:

In short, Trump is just posturing.  Unless he can broker a last-minute peace treaty with the mainstream GOP, it will be Fallin.  And, yes, it will be Kaine for Hillary.

How do you get from this post it's Fallin, or (if I understand you) that his meeting with Ernst is just "posturing"?  Huh
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2016, 10:34:04 PM »

So, does anyone know when Trump is going to announce who he picked?

Pence has until noon on the 15th (which is next week Friday...earlier I erroneously said it was Thursday, but it's Friday) to withdraw from the governor's race.  Since it sounds like Pence is one of the finalists, I assume Trump will decided before then.  My guess is any time between Monday and Thursday of next week.

Highly unlikely Pence leaves the governor's mansion in Indiana where he will likely win for an almost hopeless VP run where he loses that governor's post

But he has to be at least strongly considering it, no?  Otherwise, what is the point of stringing the Trump people along like this?  If he had no intention of leaving the governor's mansion, he could have just told them that he's not interested, as so many other potential veep candidates have done.

I can't imagine it makes any sense at all for Pence. He has to know that Trump is hopeless and he'd have a better shot of running for President himself next cycle. Unless Pence is a true believer or is in a terrible position for reelection as governor, there's no way he'd logically want it and ruin his career

One:  Trump is not hopeless; he's an underdog.

Two:  If Pence takes it and Trump is elected, he'd be VP and a likely GOP Presidential nominee one day.

Three:  If Pence takes it, and Trump does better than expected, Pence may get a lion's share of the credit for that.  He'll be in the position in 2020 that Ed Muskie was in for the Democrats in 1972.  That Muskie botched the 1972 campaign is another story; but he was the presumptive front-runner from the Democrats from November, 1968 through New Hampshire in 1972 (and even there, Muskie at least won the primary). 

If Pence takes the position and does well, he'll leapfrog over the rest of the GOP field for 2020 if Trump loses.  If, however, he conspicuously refuses and Trump's losses seep down-ballot at a large level, Pence may well be seen as a guy who could have made it less worse.  Besides, what does Pence have to gain by another 4 years as Indiana Governor, compared to being a VP nominee?

I think Pence would be foolish to refuse if he wants to be President someday.

Correct answers all around.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2016, 11:24:38 AM »

I know that won't go well with most of the GOP. Maybe he'll pick Flynn for Secretary of Homeland Security or something.

Yeah, even a wishy-washy pro choicer choice as Veep could be the spark to ignite the brewing convention revolt against Trump, and at minimum will create a floor fight against Flynn.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2016, 11:31:03 PM »
« Edited: July 13, 2016, 11:33:42 PM by Badger »

http://nyti.ms/29ZvLYq

RNC Speakers list gotten by the NYTimes specifically mentions Gingrich, but not Pence. I presume it's Trump/Pence, then.

It doesn't mention Christie either.

that almost guarantees it's Pence.

i'd normally not bother with 'almost', but this is Trump after all.

EDIT: could possibly be Christie too I guess.

"a night dedicated to the Benghazi tragedy" OMG how tone deaf can one get.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies