1988- What should Dukakis have done differently? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 04:01:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  1988- What should Dukakis have done differently? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1988- What should Dukakis have done differently?  (Read 9061 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: May 18, 2011, 08:17:56 AM »

I ran Dukakis's campaign on my liberal campus, and from my dealings with the main campaign organization there was little it couldn't have done better. This was one presidential campaign where tactics and poor organization actually made as big a difference as the economy or war & peace issues.

There was no central unifying theme. At all. One commentator put it that there was no "backyard argument", of the kind you could tell your neighbor over the fence in under 30 seconds. "Good jobs and good wages" became (I kid you not) the main campaign "message".
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 01:19:43 PM »

He should have not hopped for a ride in a tank.

But in all fairness, I don't think Dukakis could have won that election.

Dukakis was actually well ahead in the polls over the summer. Even before any "post-convention bounce".
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 07:42:23 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You should look up when the Wall came down.  

I can only assume that the OP meant the new US-Soviet detente under Gorbachev/Reagan. Otherwise he really fumbled up history here.

Virtually nobody was anticipating the fall the Wall until it was actually falling in 1989, of course. And Reagan's Tear down this wall! only turned out to be quite prophetic in retrospect.

As long as we understand is was prophetic, not causational. Much like the rest of Reagan's foriegn policy, notwithstanding the conservative myth of "St. Ronnie, Slayer of Communism".
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 05:55:29 PM »

Meh. Easy to say in hindsight, but who? Gephardt? Simon? Hart?

If Dukakis had shown half the toughness and tenacity in the general election as he did in the primaries, he might've won.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies