Climate Refugees (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 06:08:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Climate Refugees (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Climate Refugees  (Read 1636 times)
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: June 19, 2018, 09:24:24 AM »

This is an old argument with unclear answers, but third world countries are a thing for many reasons and you can't dismiss their woes. Excusing it with "we were also poor once" is nonsense.
Not dismissing anything. Just wondering why they haven't managed to deal with their problems while we did, even though we were dirt poor until very recently too.
A couple centuries of colonialism which reinforces local corruption while keeping much of the population in poverty probably has something to do with it. I also think it's a false comparison to describe "us" (I'm guessing you mean Western Europe) as "dirt poor until very recently".

In any event, I see Canada taking the lead in accepting climate refugees when they start appearing in larger numbers. I also wonder at what point countries with aging workforces like Japan will start to take in larger numbers of refugees as a demographic necessity. Unfortunately I have a hard time seeing countries with such strong fossil fuel industries (e.g., America, Australia) allowing discussion on a public issue that legitimizes climate change so I don't expect them to make serious long-term sustained efforts.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies