2020 Gubernational elections: Who is running megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 09:00:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2020 Gubernational elections: Who is running megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2020 Gubernational elections: Who is running megathread  (Read 151838 times)
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« on: December 09, 2017, 10:22:42 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 08:31:38 PM »

Poll: Louisiana Gov. John Bel Edwards' approval rating climbs to 65%, outpacing Kennedy, Cassidy
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 07:55:34 PM »

Belmentum!

Also.... hopefully a county wide landslide for Edwards against a nobody Republican helps make state legislature gains. The LA legislature is not as lopsided as most red states
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 07:51:58 PM »

Good news for Svaty:

‘I will remain Governor,’ Brownback tweets after Trump nomination stalls
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 05:43:37 PM »

Blue Wave imminent for South Dakota

junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 10:37:59 PM »

Bye bye Walker (among others)

junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 06:11:08 PM »

There is no NH megathread, so I'll post it here: Angry White Women Molly Kelly will enter the NH gov race tomorrow.

http://www.wmur.com/article/wmur-first-democrat-molly-kelly-to-announce-run-for-governor/19724585

Sununununununun is done
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2018, 09:37:09 PM »

Roy Cooper will probably win in 2019

Good news: NC Dems on track to flip the General Assembly:

junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2018, 09:55:37 PM »

The NC state legislature is probably so gerrymandered that a D+7 lead will not be enough to flip it. The dubious claims made about gerrymandering making it extremely hard for Dems flipping the US House, they are largely applicable in regards to NC's state legislature.

The gerrymanders of VA and WI have not been holding out in these special legislative elections, so there is a good chance the Dems might be able to break them. I think NC voters have just had it with the GOP

BIG
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2018, 10:09:51 PM »

The NC state legislature is probably so gerrymandered that a D+7 lead will not be enough to flip it. The dubious claims made about gerrymandering making it extremely hard for Dems flipping the US House, they are largely applicable in regards to NC's state legislature.

The gerrymanders of VA and WI have not been holding out in these special legislative elections, so there is a good chance the Dems might be able to break them. I think NC voters have just had it with the GOP

BIG
The GOP's supermajorities in (both?) chambers are going to be gone imo, but an actual flip of both chambers under the current R-gerrymandered lines is going to be very hard to attain. If the VA state house didn't really flip in 2017, why would the NC state house and senate flip this year?
Also, important to note, NC is pretty inelastic...unlike WI.

This upcoming legislative election has the most Democrats running ever. I think there is a real good chance it can flip
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2018, 10:46:17 PM »

I'm really curious what a D+7 result would do to the legislature, but I think I have to agree with TimTurner in that flipping it with just D+7 doesn't seem possible. There is also precedent for this. Michigan's state House didn't flip in 2012 even with an almost D+8 popular vote win. Republicans walked away with a comfortable if not slimmer majority. The only difference between an R+8 pv in 2010 and a D+8 win in 2012 in Michigan was Democrats gaining 4 seats. That's literally all they got with wave-like numbers.

To use a more recent example, in Virginia 2017, Democrats flipped only one or two Trump seats with a 9 point PV win (skewed maybe by more seats w/o GOP candidates). Granted, Democrats flipped 15 seats, but almost all of them were Clinton seats. In order to flip the NC GA, Democrats would have to flip dozens of Trump seats. It's hard to see that happening, tbh.

The Virginia HoD had a higher efficiency gap than the current NC General Assembly. NC's is around 12%, while VA's was nearly 20%:

Despite the gigantic efficiency gap, and with the experts over at DDHQ giving the VA HoD a 4% chance of flipping the day of the election...the Dems nearly flipped the legislature until the courts stole 1 seat. One of the major reasons it flipped is because the Democrats fielded a candidate for nearly every seat in VA.

Now, for the first time in history, NC has fielded a Democratic candidate for every legislative race and having a candidate for every seat in a terrible environment tends to cancel out the efficiency gap of gerrymandering:

If the VA HoD could (nearly) flip with a 18% efficiency gap....then the NC legislature could flip with a 12% gap

Of course....it may not flip but I think it stands a really good chance.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies