GOP plans to block any Biden Supreme Court pick
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 08:11:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  GOP plans to block any Biden Supreme Court pick
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: GOP plans to block any Biden Supreme Court pick  (Read 1830 times)
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 19, 2021, 09:51:37 PM »

(CNN) -- Senate Republicans are poised to deny President Joe Biden an appointment to the Supreme Court if they take the majority in the 2022 midterm elections.

Five Republican senators raised the stakes around Justice Stephen Breyer's retirement, telling CNN they'd oppose any likely nominee out of this White House.

But Democrats in the Senate and the White House, though they've come off the November elections more worried in recent weeks about a potential wipeout in the midterms, are still avoiding calling directly for Breyer to quit, fearing that it would backfire and encourage the 83-year-old to stay on the bench.

Breyer has told several people who've made unofficial efforts to push him to retire that he thinks the confirmation process shouldn't be political, according to people told of those discussions, and Democrats worry he'd remain as an act of resistance to show he's not bowing to politics.

Still, top Democrats across Washington would like Breyer to announce he's going even before the end of the court term in June, so they can get moving on confirmation hearings well before the midterms. More than the political calendar is on their minds -- with their 50-50 margin and several aging Senate Democrats coming from states with Republican governors, they head into the new year fearing that their control of the chamber could collapse at any moment.

[...]

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/19/politics/stephen-breyer-gop-blockade-biden-supreme-court-pick/index.html
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2021, 09:55:18 PM »

Manchin's bipartisanship will change this.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2021, 09:56:24 PM »

That's the payback Biden gets for being the Senate Judiciary chair the last 3 times that an opposite party Senate confirmed a SCOTUS nominee? Sad!
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2021, 10:36:23 PM »

Republicans are terrible, terrible, terrible people.  Not just the politicians but the hate-filled idiots who support them with zero reservations about any of this garbage.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2021, 10:47:05 PM »

Breyer better retire before January 2023 then!
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2021, 10:49:51 PM »

Breyer better retire before January 2023 then!
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2021, 10:58:23 PM »

This is the norm now. The treatment of Merrick Garland was the turning point and irrevocably broke the Supreme Court.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2021, 11:15:03 PM »

That's the payback Biden gets for being the Senate Judiciary chair the last 3 times that an opposite party Senate confirmed a SCOTUS nominee? Sad!

What does this have to do with anything?
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2021, 11:17:50 PM »

Presumably that they're blocking his nominees when he could've, but didn't, block Republicans.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2021, 11:23:23 PM »

Presumably that they're blocking his nominees when he could've, but didn't, block Republicans.

I would understand that line of thinking if Biden had been the Democratic Senate Judiciary chair in 2019 and confirmed Trump judges knowing that Republicans would not do the same for Democrats, but it seems pretty absurd to hold it against Biden for doing his job as a Senator 40 years ago. I find myself hating liberals quite a bit these days as well, but I'm getting extremely tired of progressives derailing every single conversation in order to shift the focus to irrelevant decisions that were made decades ago in completely different contexts and completely different eras.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2021, 11:26:06 PM »

I would understand that line of thinking if Biden had been the Democratic Senate Judiciary chair in 2019 and confirmed Trump judges knowing that Republicans would not do the same for Democrats, but it seems pretty absurd to hold it against Biden for doing his job as a Senator 40 years ago. I find myself hating liberals quite a bit these days as well, but I'm getting extremely tired of progressives derailing every single conversation in order to shift the focus to irrelevant decisions that were made decades ago in completely different contexts and completely different eras.

He could have at least allowed key witnesses to testify in favor of Anita Hill. Clarence Thomas is still on the court since he was quite young when confirmed.
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2021, 11:27:58 PM »

Remember when the Demsimps praised John McCain, even after taking this exact same position for Hillary's?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2021, 11:46:54 PM »

Remember when the Demsimps praised John McCain, even after taking this exact same position for Hillary's?

Sure, but he voted to save the individual mandate before he voted to kill it.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2021, 11:52:34 PM »

If the people elect a Senate of the opposite party in the midterm election, the President loses his mandate to nominate whomever he wants.  Thats the rule, its not complicated.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2021, 12:02:13 AM »

If the people cows, trucks and barns elect a Senate of the opposite party in the midterm election, the President loses his mandate to nominate whomever he wants.  Thats the rule, its not complicated.

ftfy.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2021, 12:14:56 AM »

If the people elect a Senate of the opposite party in the midterm election, the President loses his mandate to nominate whomever he wants.  Thats the rule, its not complicated.
You’re missing the point entirely. The new rule will be “he loses the ability to nominate anybody at all, and we won’t even bother making up a reason to vote against them.” This breaks the credibility of an entire branch of government. It’s not complicated.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2021, 12:35:42 AM »

Breyer is so unbelievably, unfathomably stupid if he does not retire next year.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2021, 02:08:59 AM »

"The people" is a concept that has very little to do with the United States Senate, as you know.  It should, but doesn't.  It's as absurd as saying, "the people voted for Donald Trump to become president in 2016."
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2021, 02:17:49 AM »

Even during the Bush years I subscribed to the by-now quaint notion that judges and Justices nominated even by the President of the opposing party should be seriously considered and given an up-or-down vote on their merits whether you agree with them or not so long as they are qualified for the position they are being nominated for.  Even members of the Federalist Society.

So much for that...  
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2021, 02:34:34 AM »
« Edited: December 20, 2021, 02:53:44 AM by Sir Mohamed »

I'm shocked, absolutely shocked. Never thought this was going to happen...

Tbh, 2016 set a new precedent that reflects the deep partisan divisions in this country and in DC. From now on, it will be pretty much the norm a prez won't have SCOTUS and judicial nominees approved while the opposition party controls the senate. Not even moderate compromise candidates, there just won't be confirmation. Not even a congressional hearing. NOTA.

We can just hope Breyer isn't putting his ego over these political realties and retire in time.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2021, 02:51:48 AM »

I beg to differ. Breyer is a very intelligent judge. Evidently he doesn't play politics and is not concerned that people want him to retire. That's what I'm reading.

Gee, he's a good judge. Let him keep doing his job if he feels up to it. Mitch and his ilk are going to cheat no matter what the Dems do. Breyer said he does not intend to die in office, but there are many considerations to think about before he retires. Frankly, it's his call.

You have to work with the hand you are dealt, unless you want to assassinate the guy.
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2021, 03:15:34 AM »

I beg to differ. Breyer is a very intelligent judge.

Is that why he voted to bulldoze a community to give Pfizer a tax break of billions of dollars?
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2021, 03:44:47 AM »

Granted, this could very well be the case given the poster, but I read it as highlighting the utter ungrateful hypocrisy coming from Republicans.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2021, 04:06:52 AM »

I'm shocked, absolutely shocked. Never thought this was going to happen...

Tbh, 2016 set a new precedent that reflects the deep partisan divisions in this country and in DC. From now on, it will be pretty much the norm a prez won't have SCOTUS and judicial nominees approved while the opposition party controls the senate. Not even moderate compromise candidates, there just won't be confirmation. Not even a congressional hearing. NOTA.

Biden's lucky he had a Democratic Senate, otherwise I don't think McConnell would have held hearings on his Cabinet nominations.
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2021, 04:19:54 AM »

Gee, he's a good judge. Let him keep doing his job if he feels up to it. Mitch and his ilk are going to cheat no matter what the Dems do. Breyer said he does not intend to die in office, but there are many considerations to think about before he retires. Frankly, it's his call.

You have to work with the hand you are dealt, unless you want to assassinate the guy.

lol im not even a lib, but stuff like this is laughable in the face of a 7-2 con lib court
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies