One reason I may vote McCain instead of Obama...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 07:52:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  One reason I may vote McCain instead of Obama...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: One reason I may vote McCain instead of Obama...  (Read 6924 times)
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2008, 01:48:47 PM »

Alright, this Presidential Forum Did It!!!  I am voting for John Sydney McCain in November.

You disappoint me, immensely. For me to endorse McCain would be tantamount to abandoning my Christian Democratic convictions on economic and quality of life issues

Dave

You forgot your ridiculous smiley face between Christian and Democratic.
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2008, 02:44:08 PM »

Alright, this Presidential Forum Did It!!!  I am voting for John Sydney McCain in November.

Because of some people you met on the Internets?  Try thinking for yourself.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2008, 02:45:57 PM »

Come on...you're too demanding on someone who needs 9 guys/gals in black robes to force his social views on everyone protect his christian values.
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2008, 02:51:49 PM »

Come on...you're too demanding on someone who needs 9 guys/gals in black robes to force his social views on everyone protect his christian values.

Better black than white.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2008, 03:25:21 PM »

Another attention whoring thread - what garbage.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2008, 06:53:36 PM »

Because of some people you met on the Internets? 

Uh, no?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I did!!
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2008, 07:09:21 PM »

Why do I get this feeling that you only changed because of your new girlfriend?

I know what conservative Christian Evangelical pastors preach:  There should be political unity in any relationship and it should be decidedly Republican.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2008, 07:45:42 PM »

I know what conservative Christian Evangelical pastors preach:  There should be political unity in any relationship and it should be decidedly Republican.

Nope.  Wrong again!!  On both counts!! I changed it because of my PERSONAL views, not due to any person.  Although, my girlfriend helped show me the good side of McCain, but I had been slowly trending that way for the past couple months, anyway, as much as I wanted to deny it, my views were shifting.

The Christian church is mostly Republican, but there are plenty of evangelical believers who are Democrat.  The older generation has a lot of Democrats in it (FDR/JFK/LBJ type Democrats) and amongst the younger crowd the Democrats are gaining in number.  The pulpit is never used to promote one party or the other.  If they did, they would lose their tax exempt status.  Some prominent Southern Baptist Democrats:  Former Presidents Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton and Oklahoma Governor Brad Henry and if he wins, Mississippi Senator Ronnie Musgrove.  (Harry can correct me if I'm wrong). 
FerrisBueller86
jhsu

« Reply #58 on: August 18, 2008, 10:14:23 PM »

Why has McNicotine hired TOBACCO lobbyist Charlie Black?  Why is McNicotine now against FDA regulation of the tobacco industry after years of supporting it?  Why did he acknowledge the exceptionally high death rate from tobacco use when he joked that cigarette exports to Iran were part of his plot to kill Iranian citizens?

Does McNicotine really think that joining forces with Joe Camel is compatible with protecting America, upholding moral values, and preserving the sanctity of life?
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #59 on: August 18, 2008, 10:33:21 PM »

I don't see any daylight between Roberts and Alito myself. Roberts is more suave. That is about it so far.

Spot-on.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #60 on: August 18, 2008, 11:00:04 PM »

in recent days ive been leaning towards mccain myself.

who knows who ill end up voting for.

but im certainly going to rock an 'obama yall!' t-shirt!
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #61 on: August 18, 2008, 11:16:38 PM »

Nope.  Wrong again!!  On both counts!! I changed it because of my PERSONAL views, not due to any person.  Although, my girlfriend helped show me the good side of McCain, but I had been slowly trending that way for the past couple months, anyway, as much as I wanted to deny it, my views were shifting.

The Christian church is mostly Republican, but there are plenty of evangelical believers who are Democrat.  The older generation has a lot of Democrats in it (FDR/JFK/LBJ type Democrats) and amongst the younger crowd the Democrats are gaining in number.  The pulpit is never used to promote one party or the other.  If they did, they would lose their tax exempt status.  Some prominent Southern Baptist Democrats:  Former Presidents Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton and Oklahoma Governor Brad Henry and if he wins, Mississippi Senator Ronnie Musgrove.  (Harry can correct me if I'm wrong). 

I love the subtle implication here that only evangelicals/fundies are Christians.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #62 on: August 19, 2008, 01:46:02 AM »
« Edited: August 19, 2008, 02:03:51 AM by Teh O.G. »

I love the subtle implication here that only evangelicals/fundies are Christians.
Yeah. Seriously. Though if there is one thing to take away from this, it is the fact that it is very hard to have differing views than your significant other and family. I doubt that Okie changed his politics at all to get to the point where he is today. What has happened, however, is that social pressure have been placed on him to vote a certain way. This is probably what JS could be getting on to- no matter how hard you campaign and how well you debate, its really social cohesion that makes the vote. That means, that even though a majority might not believe in the right-wing agenda, the majority of employers, higher-ranking/influential (in non-hierarchical churches) and parents do. Sure, you may worry about getting carted off to jail for smoking pot, or wanting to not be bankrupted from being dumped by your insurance in mid-treatment, but what will your dad, girlfriend, or pastor say?

Seriously, though. I am, like JS and Beet, pro-choice and Christian. I've tried to talk to Jesus and he basically says that though he disagrees, he will still tolerate my views and welcome me into the communion. However, what if I am wrong? What can I be if I cannot be Christian? I know there is a God, but why would God create me only for me to find his laws repugnant on a visceral level?

I mean, if God gives me lemons, do I find a new God? Oh the blasphamy is killing me on the inside.

Also, even though Brown wasn't chipped away in the KY and Seattle case, it did make Brown harder to enforce....and when decisions become difficult to enforce, the court begins to reconsider its decisions. This is what O'Connor considered in whether Roe should be dropped or kept in PP v. Casey.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #63 on: August 19, 2008, 04:21:22 AM »

I never implied nor believe such a thing.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #64 on: August 21, 2008, 12:14:12 PM »

Only Hillary would have appointed qualified, moderate Supreme Court justices.

Only Hillary has Christian values. The platforms of John McVain and Barack Obama goes directly against the bible in different ways.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #65 on: August 21, 2008, 12:15:56 PM »

Probably mostly McCain supporters then.. if they voted for McCain in the primaries (or obama) then they are not true Christians. Probably just the same ole bigoted, false christians.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #66 on: August 21, 2008, 01:59:16 PM »

I never thought someone who supports Andrew Rice would also support John McCain.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #67 on: August 21, 2008, 02:00:42 PM »

Only Hillary would have appointed qualified, moderate Supreme Court justices.

Only Hillary has Christian values. The platforms of John McVain and Barack Obama goes directly against the bible in different ways.

I thought you got banned; why are you back?
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies