The TrumpCare comes back from the dead (...and lives!) thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 02:53:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The TrumpCare comes back from the dead (...and lives!) thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28
Author Topic: The TrumpCare comes back from the dead (...and lives!) thread  (Read 47348 times)
GlobeSoc
The walrus

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #575 on: May 06, 2017, 01:02:32 PM »

In an mirror-1894esque wave, I suppose he could go down
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #576 on: May 06, 2017, 02:15:30 PM »

Involuntary screams and moans of disgust from the audience.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #577 on: May 06, 2017, 02:26:42 PM »

If ID-1 was the ID-1 of 2006, it wouldn't take a 1894-style wave to drag Labrador down. I'm not so sure about the ID-1 of 2017 though.

For those who are unaware, this district continues to be transformed by waves of out of state migrants who are importing foreign far-right ideology to this district, bringing with them a style of Evangelical Christianity that never existed here in 1970, insane notions of governance and so on. Sadly, I think these nuts have influenced rural locals.
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #578 on: May 06, 2017, 02:34:50 PM »

If ID-1 was the ID-1 of 2006, it wouldn't take a 1894-style wave to drag Labrador down. I'm not so sure about the ID-1 of 2017 though.

For those who are unaware, this district continues to be transformed by waves of out of state migrants who are importing foreign far-right ideology to this district, bringing with them a style of Evangelical Christianity that never existed here in 1970, insane notions of governance and so on. Sadly, I think these nuts have influenced rural locals.

What states are these people leaving?
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #579 on: May 06, 2017, 02:38:09 PM »

I wonder if it has anything to do with this, even if just marginally:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Redoubt

You must be logged in to read this quote.
kyc0705

« Reply #580 on: May 06, 2017, 02:38:29 PM »

Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #581 on: May 06, 2017, 04:09:04 PM »

Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #582 on: May 06, 2017, 05:15:08 PM »

The 13 senators set to draft bill when the AHCA moves to the senate are:

This is going to be even worse than the House bill

The particularly terrifying ones are Lee, Cruz, and Cotton, but overall I still have some hope that it'll end up more tolerable. If it is worse then I doubt the Uptons and Longs and Frelinghuysens vote for it when it goes back to the House.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #583 on: May 06, 2017, 05:45:44 PM »

Sign of potency of Kimmel monologue: GOP Sen. Cassidy said legislation needs to pass the "Jimmy Kimmel test for him to support it" on CNN.
https://twitter.com/HotlineJosh/status/860485062172827648
Very sensible. If this passes in its current form (or indeed in any form) and deaths start to occur particularly the deaths of children, that can be attributed to changes brought in by the legislation then Senators should know that they will be held personally responsible for those deaths. Expect sick children to be brought to town halls, heartrending stories with photogenic sick children to be plastered across the media.

Charles Krauthammer is right. Obama has universalised the idea of universal healthcare. Republican legislators may want to reestablish the notion that its not the government's responsibility and that if someone dies because they can't afford or get insurance then individual Senators can't be held accountable but that ship has sailed.

Whilst I agree with much of what Trump is doing, on immigration, on defense, on trade on education etc I think in this area he's wrong. In Europe there a rise in Nationalist right wing populist parties that support universal healthcare. This would not only include parties like the Front National in France and Sweden Democrats in Sweden, it also includes parties in government like Fidesz in HungaryPartythe Law and Justice party in Poland. I'm also pleased to note that after the referendum and the departure of the wretched David Cameron that the UK Conservative Party is moving rapidly in that direction in its rhetoric and, let's hope, its policies.

If the US Republican Party was being smart they would move sharply in that same direction. A right wing populist nationalist Republican party that supported universal healthcare would do very well electorally.

If you don't believe in the ideology of small-government conservatism, you should be a liberal.

What is Trump doing on education that you agree with? Supporting vouchers? As do I-- provided they are done in a way that works. Current policies don't seem to be meeting empirical standards. The argument for "what Trump is doing" on immigration and trade seems to be couched in terms of labor policies. Do you not believe the left would enact pro-labor policies, if in power? The left would consistently make sure workers are supported and have good benefits. That leaves defense. The nationalist wing has arisen to power on the Right by challenging the warhawk neoconservative wing, have they not? In this sense they are close to the left as well, as neither are as hawkish as the right. Do you really think the U.S., which already spends more on defense than every other country in the world combined, needs to spend much more on it? Given the amount of waste in the Pentagon, most likely not.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #584 on: May 06, 2017, 09:45:50 PM »

The particularly terrifying ones are Lee, Cruz, and Cotton, but overall I still have some hope that it'll end up more tolerable. If it is worse then I doubt the Uptons and Longs and Frelinghuysens vote for it when it goes back to the House.

Cotton might actually not be as terrible on this front as he'd be on most others, by virtue of hailing from a State that expanded Medicaid. I seem to remember that he was one of the Senators who made statement against the 1.0 version of Ryancare.
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #585 on: May 06, 2017, 10:05:39 PM »

The 13 senators set to draft bill when the AHCA moves to the senate are:

This is going to be even worse than the House bill

Actually, while it could be better, could be a lot worse as well.
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #586 on: May 06, 2017, 10:40:46 PM »

Even EnglishPete thinks the Republicans are full of crap on this.  I have not seen one argument for why the House bill is going to improve the quality of life for anyone, not just on this forum but anywhere.  Literally all the praise for this has been, "yay Republicans won!!!!!!!!!111"

Which does lead me to believe Ryan knew the bill sucked and had no chance in the Senate, but just wanted to pass literally anything instead of nothing.  Still, when our politics literally comes down to "When ever my side wins it's good," that shows how far we've fallen intellectually in the so-called 'information age.'  We used to save rooting for the team no matter how much its players cheat or commit aggressions against other people for sports.  Now we literally have people on the internet cheering for this because "hahaha buncha libtards gonna die soon."  (But it's wrong when liberals say the same thing about them!)
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #587 on: May 06, 2017, 11:21:30 PM »

Lol. Looks like my hope of it not going to pass the Senate may come true! Cheesy
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #588 on: May 07, 2017, 03:30:23 PM »

HHS Chief Insists Cutting Nearly $1 Billion From Medicaid Will Help Patients

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2017/05/07/hhs_chief_tom_price_insists_cutting_nearly_1_billion_from_medicaid_will.html

I'd like to see them make Medicaid more efficient without first slashing the budget, because what I see instead is a proposal to take money away from Medicaid with promises that they'll put the remaining money to better use, only to inevitably fail to run things more efficiently, and perhaps even waste more money with ideas that don't work.

Just like trickle down - give the wealthy more tax cuts and eventually everyone will benefit! Let us take money dedicated to helping poor and disabled people, give it to the wealthy, and magically patients will get better care! How long are these fairy tales going to go on for?
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #589 on: May 07, 2017, 05:27:36 PM »

Mulvaney is encouraging the Senate to make major changes to TrumpCare:

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/07/white-house-pressures-senate-to-fix-health-bills-policy-problems-238085
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #590 on: May 07, 2017, 06:08:28 PM »

They might make state-sanctioned puppy kicking a requirement to receive coverage. In order to be covered by the AHCA, you have to kick a puppy off a cliff.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #591 on: May 07, 2017, 06:43:56 PM »

JFC then they should have passed a better bill in the House
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #592 on: May 07, 2017, 06:44:05 PM »

The Senate put Lee and Cruz on the committee because they figured that's the only way they'll be able to get them to vote for the final product.

But if they think Ted Cruz isn't perfectly capable of sitting on his hands while everyone else drafts a bill and then voting against it, they don't know Ted Cruz.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #593 on: May 07, 2017, 06:45:12 PM »

What's even weirder about this is that it's not as if the House passing a healthcare bill was necessary for the Senate to commence work on an apparently totally different healthcare bill.

I don't understand what they got out of any of this other than forcing dozens of their most vulnerable members to vote for a toxic bill their constituents hate.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #594 on: May 07, 2017, 06:49:46 PM »

What's even weirder about this is that it's not as if the House passing a healthcare bill was necessary for the Senate to commence work on an apparently totally different healthcare bill.

I don't understand what they got out of any of this other than forcing dozens of their most vulnerable members to vote for a toxic bill their constituents hate.

They basically let themselves be taken hostage by the freedom caucus and that was the ransom being paid.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #595 on: May 07, 2017, 07:00:37 PM »

The Senate will draft a much, much better bill. 
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #596 on: May 07, 2017, 07:19:48 PM »

How though I mean Obama took all of their good ideas from the 90's on HC so if they go more left the bill dies in the House die to the FC and if it goes to right it suffers the same problems as now.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #597 on: May 07, 2017, 07:54:52 PM »

Lowest bar ever.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #598 on: May 07, 2017, 09:17:15 PM »
« Edited: May 07, 2017, 09:19:16 PM by Ronnie »

If they put out something that is not utterly draconian, the HFC would bolt so fast your head would spin.  In that case, they'd need to bring a few Democrats on board; I don't think that's completely out of the question, but it seems unlikely unless Republicans make significant concessions.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #599 on: May 07, 2017, 09:22:39 PM »

The House will fall in line..  They've already voted for a bill, the ads are already going to be run no matter what.  They have nothing to lose now.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies