Congress to make hyde permanent + disincentive insurance coverage of abortion (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 03:21:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Congress to make hyde permanent + disincentive insurance coverage of abortion (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Congress to make hyde permanent + disincentive insurance coverage of abortion  (Read 2040 times)
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« on: January 24, 2017, 02:10:50 PM »

There are a lot of things that I find morally repulsive that get paid with my taxes, why should abortion be any different?

Hopefully whenever the Democrats get back control this will be one of the first things they repeal.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 03:43:05 PM »

There are a lot of things that I find morally repulsive that get paid with my taxes, why should abortion be any different?

Hopefully whenever the Democrats get back control this will be one of the first things they repeal.

The filibuster for legislation will never be repealed, and trifectas with 60 senate seats basically never happen. And even then you would need dems to completely united against Hyde, which isn't even close to being true as of now

Hyde is here to stay. Deal with it.

I like how you avoid the first question, regardless repealing the Hyde Amendment is now rightfully the official policy of the Democratic Party. It will happen some day in the future God willing.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 04:12:14 PM »

The filibuster for legislation will never be repealed, and trifectas with 60 senate seats basically never happen. And even then you would need dems to completely united against Hyde, which isn't even close to being true as of now

Hyde is here to stay. Deal with it.

I like how you avoid the first question, regardless repealing the Hyde Amendment is now rightfully the official policy of the Democratic Party. It will happen some day in the future God willing.

The answer to the first question is obvious. Many things are morally repulsive, but only abortion kills our most innocent.

Except it isn't obvious. Abortion is a legal medical procedure, nothing more, nothing less, and it should be treated as such under law.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 05:12:03 PM »

Passed the House 238-183. Lipinksi, Peterson, and Cuellar were the only Dems to support it. No Republican defected.

Democrats could totally do better in Lipinkisi and Cuellar's districts.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 05:28:38 PM »

What is the chance that this would get past a Senate filibuster?

Hopefully slim
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2017, 12:22:53 AM »

Isn't the Hyde amendment usually slipped in budget bills? I assume as a standalone this won't get past the filibuster so its DOA.

Yeah, but someday it won't be included and it will be glorious.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies