Clinton VP news LATEST: Podesta now calling the losers to tell them its not them
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 01:05:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Clinton VP news LATEST: Podesta now calling the losers to tell them its not them
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 91
Author Topic: Clinton VP news LATEST: Podesta now calling the losers to tell them its not them  (Read 181631 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: May 09, 2016, 09:17:25 AM »

What does Gingrich add to the ticket?

Trump said one of the most important considerations for him is who can help him get things passed through Congress, so I guess that translates to a former House Speaker?  Not saying that this makes sense, given the significant liabilities Gingrich has, but it's the kind of weird logic that Trump might use.

I guess Dennis Hastert is out the question?  Tongue
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #251 on: May 09, 2016, 09:21:15 AM »

What does Gingrich add to the ticket?

Trump said one of the most important considerations for him is who can help him get things passed through Congress, so I guess that translates to a former House Speaker?  Not saying that this makes sense, given the significant liabilities Gingrich has, but it's the kind of weird logic that Trump might use.

I guess Dennis Hastert is out the question?  Tongue

Well, there are better choices than Ginrich who hit this criteria. I'd pick a minority or a woman. The strongest "old white man" would obviously be Kasich.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #252 on: May 09, 2016, 09:24:15 AM »

I've thought for a while that Brewer would be a great running mate for Trump. She's a good match for him on a lot of things, plus Trump himself has the rock star social media aspect of the ticket taken care of, and he seems eager to do all of that, and in fact really likes it, so I think she'd be great for him. And, she's been in the news.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #253 on: May 09, 2016, 12:23:12 PM »

Trump taps Christie as transition chairman if elected President.
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/05/trump-chris-christie-transition-222962

What does this mean for the VP search? Is Christie out?
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #254 on: May 09, 2016, 12:38:37 PM »

Trump taps Christie as transition chairman if elected President.
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/05/trump-chris-christie-transition-222962

What does this mean for the VP search? Is Christie out?

It seems less likely now.
Fargobison

« Reply #255 on: May 09, 2016, 03:30:52 PM »

Rubio is out....

You must be logged in to read this quote.

[link=(https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/729768056491233280)]LINK[/link]
standwrand
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.55, S: -2.74

« Reply #256 on: May 09, 2016, 03:34:08 PM »

I'm sad that Rubio won't be Trump's VP, but also glad because Trump is a horrible person. Maybe this just means Rubio is waiting for that 3rd party ticket.
Fargobison

« Reply #257 on: May 09, 2016, 04:00:29 PM »
« Edited: May 09, 2016, 04:04:08 PM by Fargobison »

I'm sad that Rubio won't be Trump's VP, but also glad because Trump is a horrible person. Maybe this just means Rubio is waiting for that 3rd party ticket.

I didn't want to hate Marco so I am glad he took this stance, let a horrible person like Christie or a has been like Newt be his VP. It is what he deserves.

It is sad that Trump is so desperate to make it seem like he can get a good VP and the support of conservatives that he completely fabricated Rubio calling him.  He did the same with Paul Ryan as well.

http://heatst.com/politics/pants-on-fire-donald-trump-caught-lying-about-marco-rubio-and-paul-ryans-calls/
Fargobison

« Reply #258 on: May 09, 2016, 05:36:53 PM »

https://twitter.com/stevebruskCNN/status/729788635441147905
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #259 on: May 09, 2016, 07:42:22 PM »

I'm quite glad that Castro is being reported as off the list.  He has just about the worst possible gaffe for a campaign against someone like Trump:   

"Joaquín and I got into Stanford because of affirmative action. I scored 1210 on my SATs"

You can bet that Trump would read that aloud for 3 months and call him Stupid Julian.  It would be absolutely brutal.

Wait, he said this? In public? Clearly his affirmative action juju was a lot stronger than mine if he got into Stanford with that score. And then he went to Harvard Law! I understood but never really shared the dislike so many have for this guy until now, not because he got a low score on some test but because he seems to be practically bragging about it (apparently he was talking up affirmative action in the Times). Affirmative action should get your foot in the door, not carry you over the threshold when you're not qualified. Clearly Castro thinks everything should be handed to him on a silver platter without having to do anything-- college admissions, law school, a (virtually ceremonial) mayoral post, a cabinet post (in which he's been far less proactive than his predecessor), and now the Vice Presidency. What a smug pr--k.

At the same time you almost have to admire it. Who would have thought it possible that one could coast their way to being one heartbeat away from being President? Sure, you could stumble into it, like Agnew, but it almost takes a certain talent to get yourself chosen as mayor of a top-ten city yet not have to do any work, monetise your prestigious sinecure to the tune of six-figures through speeches, books, and a seven-figure "referal fee", and then end up in Cabinet giving more speeches, reading reports, and following the recommendations of civil servants.  The rest of us can only wish we could do so much by doing so little.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #260 on: May 09, 2016, 08:59:31 PM »

Politico's headline is "Joni Ernst shuts out Trump vp talk" but it reads more like a standard non-denial denial.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/05/joni-ernst-veep-trump-222985
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #261 on: May 09, 2016, 09:46:41 PM »

ernst is palin 2.0
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #262 on: May 09, 2016, 10:45:41 PM »

Gingrich:

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/politics/newt-gingrich-i-would-listen-carefully-if-trump-called-about-vp/263262795

Le Page deflects the VP question (“We’re too much alike”).  But he does say he’d be up for some kind of job in a Trump administration:

http://www.pressherald.com/2016/05/04/lepage-says-job-in-a-trump-administration-would-interest-him/
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #263 on: May 09, 2016, 10:51:40 PM »

I feel like Trump would be smart enough not to pick LePage. Nobody outside of Maine will like him.
catographer
Megameow
United States
« Reply #264 on: May 10, 2016, 12:00:19 AM »

You know what would be a repulsive ticket? Trump and Gingrich. Trump is self-explanatory in his repulsiveness. Gingrich is a 90's partisan hack, resigned in humiliation during Bill's impeachment trial, led a failed bid for President in 2012.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #265 on: May 10, 2016, 12:43:01 AM »

The GOP conven is mid july, right?

That means we can expect a trump vp selection around when?
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #266 on: May 10, 2016, 12:50:38 AM »

The GOP conven is mid july, right?

That means we can expect a trump vp selection around when?

Early July.
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #267 on: May 10, 2016, 01:13:56 AM »

Christie or Kasich is my bets right now.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #268 on: May 10, 2016, 01:37:45 AM »

I think he's going to pick someone with the following attributes:

>Is a policy wonk
>Is not an old white man

IMO, he should go for a southern woman.  He needs someone to soften his rough edges to an extent.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #269 on: May 10, 2016, 01:42:39 AM »

IMO, he should go for a southern woman.

No problem.  One of them has already volunteered:

Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #270 on: May 10, 2016, 02:10:00 AM »
« Edited: May 10, 2016, 02:11:48 AM by Ronnie »

Hmm, I probably should have included the caveat, "didn't run her state into the ground."

I was thinking along the lines of Marsha Blackburn or Renee Ellmers.  That said, I'm not sure either of them is the sort of policy heavyweight Trump would need.
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #271 on: May 10, 2016, 03:46:27 AM »

I think he's going to pick someone with the following attributes:

>Is a policy wonk
>Is not an old white man

IMO, he should go for a southern woman.  He needs someone to soften his rough edges to an extent.

I don't think he has a choice and none of the people that would fill the bill are going to join on the ticket because the nevertrump forces are going to make sure of it. 

Heres the options

1. Kasich (though I feel he's debating it hard the #nevertrumps may sway him)

2. Christie (really wants it or some part of a trump white house)

3. Sessions( Think Trump rather him in another role though)

4.  Someone unknown and prob a Eagleton type pick ( hopefully # 2 is picked before this option)

5) Outside wildcard someone like Jim Webb (see #4)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #272 on: May 10, 2016, 04:44:02 AM »

This is from last week, but I just noticed it now.  As already noted early in the thread, Tim Scott didn’t rule out accepting a VP offer from Trump when he was asked about it a few weeks ago.  However, last week, Scott offered a rather tepid endorsement of Trump that suggested he wasn’t really interested in doing much to assist Trump’s campaign:

http://www.postandcourier.com/20160504/160509724/haley-not-interested-in-being-trumps-vice-presidential-pick

So, OK, he hasn’t ruled out accepting a running mate offer, but he sure doesn’t sound as enthusiastic about it as some of the others.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #273 on: May 10, 2016, 12:41:13 PM »

This is from last week, but I just noticed it now.  As already noted early in the thread, Tim Scott didn’t rule out accepting a VP offer from Trump when he was asked about it a few weeks ago.  However, last week, Scott offered a rather tepid endorsement of Trump that suggested he wasn’t really interested in doing much to assist Trump’s campaign:

http://www.postandcourier.com/20160504/160509724/haley-not-interested-in-being-trumps-vice-presidential-pick

So, OK, he hasn’t ruled out accepting a running mate offer, but he sure doesn’t sound as enthusiastic about it as some of the others.

Scott would be a very strong choice.
Fargobison

« Reply #274 on: May 10, 2016, 12:44:36 PM »

Article talking about Corker, Coats, Thune and Pence as possible VP candidates...GOP insiders like Corker...

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/05/bob-corker-trump-possible-vice-president-223004
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 91  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies